The volume box by Carl's Custom Guitars

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by clutchcargo, Sep 3, 2017.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Bionic Member Premium Member

I have volume box by Carl's Custom Guitars. It's supposed to attenuate the volume to bring it down to a non ear crushing level while still driving the tube to a nice break up.

I own a Vox ac15c1. I use a wah pedal, and an OCD. The Vox does not come with an effects loop. How should I put this signalmchain together in order to use the volume box and get the best results?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    TK

2. scovell001

scovell001 Senior Member

I'm sure someone else will chime in, but I don't think you can with the Ac15c1. It was designed to sit in the effects loop of something like a blues junior or hot rod deluxe with a twitchy volume knob

clutchcargo likes this.
  3. freefrog

freefrog Senior Member

According to the related website, what you mention is just a box with a volume pot in it (maybe a 100k pot if the thing has been designed for Fender Hot Rod Deluxe's, as it appears to be the case).

This device being designed for effect loops, it's not really useable with your Vox. Changing it for a volume pedal would be a better choice IMHO.

Now and FWIW: the AC15C1 features an efficient master volume, allowing to play at bedroom level with a good tone. So, you don't need the kind of additional volume control that a Fender Hor Rod Deluxe would require. Just plug your pedals in your amp, set it at low volume and listen: it should sound good enough.

clutchcargo likes this.
  4. clutchcargo

Well that sucks! Where's the dislike button! :dunno:

5. clutchcargo

Good advice. It does work well with the master volume. And if it's too loud, the hell with the neighbors.

6. clutchcargo

Thanks for the help guys.

7. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

If the master volume doesnt allow you to get low enough volume levels with the gain you desire an attenuator is what you should look for. It goes between the amp and the speaker and allows you to remove decibels while still pushing the amp to break up.

Rhust likes this.
  8. calfzilla

calfzilla Member

Or you can swamp in a speaker with a build in attenuator, like the Eminence Reignmaker.

Another "trick" you can try is using something like a 12AY7 in your preamp slots.