The Verdict is In! C19 Mod on DSL40C Rocks!

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Valkyrie, May 1, 2014.

1. colchar

colchar Banned

I've been reading some very good reviews online this afternoon. I will give it a try next time I am in my local store. Normally I would be there on a Friday evening but I've been sick as a dog all week and am not sure I am up to going out. Then again, it might be worth the trip.

2. Ricanrocker333

Ricanrocker333 Junior Member

you should go with a celestion creamback 65 swap. The sound between this speaker and the stock 70/80 is like night a day. With these mods imo my amp is on par with other higher priced amps ($1000+). Cleans as good as fender (twin or super) and crunch as good as 2000's or even orange rockerverbs. try it you appreciate it

1 person likes this.
  3. pw2112

pw2112 Junior Member

Got the DSL40C two weeks ago.
    Just a bit harsh for my liking... Going to try the Mod tomorrow

4. pw2112

pw2112 Junior Member

I'm considering the Creamback... Going to give some time for the stock one to show its true colors.

5. dylumph

dylumph Member

I bought 2. The first one is stock. I use it for a back-up to my 2nd Sweetwater Creamback loaded one. I didn't do the C-19 mod cause I tamed the harshness with preamp tubes.

1 person likes this.
  6. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Senior Member

So very much this. I'm amazed how different various tubes can sound, especially in the early stages of a tube amp.

7. dylumph

dylumph Member

Yeah, a NOS Mullard 12AT7 in V2 made the "red" channel usable. As far as DSL40C/DSL15C goes, @ home or in the band- EL34 power makes a huge difference. I keep mine @ 40 watts. Watts (to me) is not so much volume, but fullness of tone. I sometimes play my 100 watt Hiwatt at home at low volume and it is beautiful, just to heavy to gig with.

8. DeadStarRule

DeadStarRule Junior Member

Hi guys, I have the dsl100h matched with the recommended MX412A cab, as many here, the amp was sounding very nasal and extremely bright/harsh when I bought it, I was playing that stock way about 2 months, but I wasn't happy with the sound and couldn't believe this was the sound of a 800bucks all tube amp... but later on I did some research about "dsl100h too bright" and I ended here.

I want to share with you the things I did/ recommend to do to your amps dsl100h or dsl40h as those are basically the same to get the best of them and a good juicy sound without the harsh, first of all I recommend you to check and adjust the bias, my dsl was about 74mV, I do adjust it from 60mV to 90mV and compare the sounds, the less the voltage, the more digitally/nasal/thin sound, but with more voltage the more rounded/warm sound, I read that some people adjust them to 80, 85 and also 90, it is supposed that the recommended voltage from marshall is 90mV but also somewhere I read that could be very hot, so I finally decided to leave both sides at 88mV, this simple adjust gave more tone, warm, body sound. I guess for the DSL40c is the half: 88mV / 2 = 44mV.:applause:

Second to get rid of the harsh/fizzy sound I did the c19 470pF mod by cutting it, helped a lot cutting the ear bleeding highs, but also seems that you lose some sparky/addictive highs that are so Marshall :facepalm:, so I tested 47pF, 68pF, 100pF and 150pF, definetely the 100pF capacitor is the perfect replacement of the 470pF stock.

Third the clean channel on the mode1 was also very fizzy/harsh and nasal, specially if you put in front any pedal, distortions or multieffects. c4 100pF is the equivalent cap in classic gain as c19 is for ultragain channel, If I just remove this cap same as above happens, no harsh sound but the addictive sound is lost:facepalm:, so I tested here 22pF, 47pF, 68pF, the perfect replacement cap for c4 is 22pF.

So in summary If you have the DSL40c or DSL100h first adjust your bias, second replace the c19 with 100pF and third, replace c4 with 22pF.

I now have a very pleasant, full body, warm, addictive highs sounding amp :dude:

Kris Ford likes this.