The Unofficial Anything Agile Al-**** Info and Photo Thread

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by Side Burns, Sep 23, 2013.

1. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

I emailed Kurt -- he says he just ordered them from the same place all the rest of the AL2000s came from. He didn't seem to know *why* exactly there were such major differences. Interesting thing: there are two versions of the AL 3100 Floyd as well. Both have the standard clunky LP neck heel, but one comes with 24 frets, one with 22. I have one of the latter, but I've seen the 24-fret versions (they just move the bridge/bridge pickup toward the neck pickup about 3/4" to maintain the scale, and then lengthen the neck).

2. tobijohn

tobijohn Member

Thanks for taking the time to inquire. I've had a hunch for a while that while for the most part, Kurt gets exactly what he orders spec-wise, more than just occasionally what shows up is not expected nor something he can reorder if it sells out fast, even if he wanted to. There have been a lot of really cool guitars and finishes that were gone in days and would be a natural to restock, only to never be seen again...

3. Side Burns

Side Burns Senior Member

Hey, quick update for Agile modding fans.

The screws that hold the Agile rear switch and control plates are interchangeable with the pickguard and backplate screws on Fenders.
    That will come in handy if your switching to/from Gold, Nickel, or Chrome hardware.

tobijohn likes this.
  4. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins Senior Member

Cool thread here! I bought a AL 2000 off EBay back in December 2016 a tobacco burst, all stock.
    I purchased a Seymour Duncan 59 Blues pickup set a few months back and had the Agile setup and pups installed. I don't think my Guitar guy was too overly impressed with the Agile as I asked him his opinion on it and he shrugged his shoulders and mumbled something incoherently. Lol
    Since his setup the Agile now has fret buzz on all strings thru out the neck. I assume it needs some fret leveling work? Also seems it has a grounding issue as it has a hum now. My guitar guy is a trained professional but I'm starting to wonder about his work. I wouldn't mind upgrading the wiring, pots, etc... to go with the Duncans. What do you recommend?

5. tobijohn

tobijohn Member

If the guitar played well and had no hum prior to your tech working on it, the first thing I would recommend is upgrading your tech. Cause and effect, especially in this case, can not be easily dismissed despite the guy's credentials. I assume you're not comfortable setting up or troubleshooting the wiring problem so I could only suggest asking around in your area for another tech with a decent rep. The 59s are great pickups and if that's the tone you're after, by all means keep them. As for upgrading the harness, IMHO and experience, unless you're at least a semi-pro, the stock stuff in the Agile 2000 series is more than sufficient. If you're style has you using the tone controls a lot, you might prefer .022 caps instead of the stock.047 ones but if you keep them full open, there won't be a difference in the sound anyway (FWIW, every humbucker wiring diagram I've ever seen on the Seymour Duncan site shows .047 caps). Some of the older AL-2000s came with Switchcraft type toggle switches but the later ones have the cheaper box type. However, if it ain't broke, don't fix it so as long as there's no static while moving through the positions, for the time being, you can leave that be as well...

scott 351 wins likes this.
  6. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins Senior Member

yep, I'm certain there is a ground issue as I touch any metal part I hear noise with some sort of hum. It played very nice before setup. As far as tweaking the knobs, ive been messing around with them while I play a lot more than I have been in the past. So its becoming a part of my play style now. I have almost no experience in guitar setup, I should learn the basics I suppose. Thanks for the response.