The Unofficial Anything Agile Al-**** Info and Photo Thread

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by Side Burns, Sep 23, 2013.

1. buckman

buckman Member

Picked this up yesterday from craigslist for $160 with nice bag. Heavy as sin, but I like that. Plays really nice. Appears to be all stock. I haven't had a 2000 yet, so I haven't tried the ceramic pups. I like the A5s in my 3100.

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  2. 21stcsm

21stcsm Senior Member

It's sweet. I've got a friend looking for a gold top but it's hard to convince him a guitar this reasonably priced punches so far above its weight class - but it does

I've played a few but not the goldtops

I hear the finish has a bit of 'sparkle' ? Is that true?

I LIVE for Sparkle Jets and I'd love them to have a LP companion with some sparkle
    Agiles have a great and giving community at the Agile forum
    And Kurt is exceptionally responsive with customer service so these are guitars with a lot backing them imnsho

3. tobijohn

tobijohn Member

I've got a few Agile Gold Tops (AL-2000 P90, AL-3100 and a custom AS-1000 semi-hollow P90) and all of them do have a sparkle to them. The ALs do have a slight hint of green under certain light and from certain angles.

Bang for the buck, you'd have a hard time finding anything better than an Agile and it's been my experience that if purchasing new, the depreciation doesn't seem to be any worse than Epiphones or even some Gibsons...

1 person likes this.
  4. 21stcsm

21stcsm Senior Member

I totally grok what you say. I'm opening scanners Captain for sparkly gold Agile goodness

I know some Gibbie cork sniffers scoff at ANY deviation from the HOLY ORIGINALs so any sparkle = bad but I don't think the intrinsic worth is correlated to how OG the gold is. I'll take aesthetically pleasing over historical copycat when it comes to AESTHETICS

functional stuff is judged... Based on functionality

But the paint is there to look pretty. And sparkle = PRETTY AS #%#%%

Especially that nice subtle Agile version

1 person likes this.
  5. tobijohn

tobijohn Member

Well, the 2000s were discontinued a while ago and replaced with the Al-2500 which is basically a 2000 with a bound headstock. If you want instant gratification and assuming you're a righty, there's a P90 2500 GT marked down to $225 as well as a HB 2500 GT for the regular $270 and a P90 3010SE GT (Alnico 5 vs ceramic magnets for the other two, ebony fretboard, higher quality pots, etc) for $330. Personally, I think the $60 difference between the two is money well spent but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the base quality of the 2500s. If you're patient and not in a hurry, you can find deals like the $160 AL-2000. Although that $225 P90 would be a done deal for me if it was a lefty as I'm looking to do the mini-humbucker/LP Deluxe conversion...

6. 21stcsm

21stcsm Senior Member

I appreciate the info

To answer : I'm SUPER patient- a long timeframe buyer, so to speak

Nice to meet another lefty - although I play right handed

I DO play bass left handed - but I suck!
    As you so aptly demonstrate - kick okole deals are out there

I will let the mountain come to Mohammed so to speak and not force it

On the Rondo front, I have an SX Tele ($120 shipped) and I dig it. Despite having plenty of high tier guitars- I choose the SX to play on almost every day

I've been looking at a lot of sales at the agile forum as well

I don't have a goldtop or ANY guitar with P90's so an Agile GTop LP with P90's looks choice

7. 21stcsm

21stcsm Senior Member

Yea, the high nut thing is way common among tons of make/models and it took me years to recognize it

I understand why they do it - churn out guitars better to err on the side of high nut because too low can't be easily reversed (gotta fill it in and then refile or in some cases get a new one) and too low equals all sorts of performance issues out of the box , which equals RETURNS AND REFUNDS much more likely than if nut slots too high

Even with some cheap Nut files I bought on Anazon (and plenty of practice) - I've found a substantial #,of guitars perform way better after you file the nut slots

I'm also painfully sensitive to even slightly out of tune guitars and high nut slots = gratingly out of tune cowboy chords

I find about half of YouTube guitar demos I can barely listen to because they are so out of tune

So I'll just say Agile ain't alone . Guitars 4 times their cost routinely leave the factory with high slots

1 person likes this.
  8. tobijohn

tobijohn Member

Yes, keep an eye out on the Agile forum (I'm actually a mod over there) and it also wouldn't hurt to beat the bushes, so to speak, and post a WTB. I've picked up quite few from the GC used site too although they seem to have no idea on how to price them, some are ridiculously high and others are no-brainer giveaways. There's some good deals on Reverb as well. eBay of course but there are a lot of sellers there who are dreaming.

I've got a number of Gibsons and Epis but seem to pick up the Agiles first although out of over two dozen, only one still has the original pickups (a recent 2500 b-stock). I've got about a dozen SX guitars as well but mostly various Fender style copies. Some of the older SX models were hit or miss on the QC but the last year or so, they've been almost flawless. IMHO, the Thinline style Furrians are a must have..

9. 21stcsm

21stcsm Senior Member

Yea, I do most of my sales on Reverb and it's definitely all over the map as you say

Great community though. My sales and purchases have gone without a hitch ... Except for the time USPS Lost a guitar (rolls eyes)

Fortunately it was insured.

Just a totally off topic hint but I videotape every time I pack a guitar and every time I open it upon receipt it's just in my opinion basic due diligence to protect yourself

I have seen guitars EASILY priced over 2x fair value all
    The way down to prices you have to see to believe , so I'm just biding my time

WILD WEST WILD WEST wicka wicka Selma Hayek

Guys will sell u modified Agiles for MORE than they cost new lol

Or you may find a Gretsch at a 60% discount

(I live sleep and breathe Gretsch)

WILD WEST wickawickawicka Selma Hayek!!!

1 person likes this.
  10. buckman

buckman Member

Yeah, the 2000 I picked up has sparkle. Its a two piece body too.

11. 21stcsm

21stcsm Senior Member

I like some sparkle in my guitars

I'm not so sure I like it in my vampires

Unless they are Asley Reed

Attached Files:

12. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

You've misspelled "Asley." Two S's. :naughty:

13. 21stcsm

21stcsm Senior Member

Duh!

I merged Ashley Greene with Nikki Reed - two sparkly vampires

Not that a merger of the two is not an appealing thing

14. Beansie

Beansie Junior Member

Sorry to bump an old post, but does anyone know the type of finish on these?

I assume it's poly, which means heat gun to strip it...

I want a maple neck, but the only one they have in stock is the blue burst that is plain awful IMO. So I'd be refinishing it if I got it.

15. Side Burns

Side Burns Senior Member

Yea their poly, contact Rondo and ask if they have something else coming in soon.

16. Beansie

Beansie Junior Member

Yeah I've talked to Kurt a couple times. They come in periodically, but sell fast.

And most don't have the maple top, just solid based on ones I've caught in stock. Which is fine for me if I like the finish...

17. Side Burns

Side Burns Senior Member

Someone pointed out they saw the agile headstock in the Chapman factory tour at World Musical Instrument co. in south korea.

You can see this headstock at 3:44

[​IMG]

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OZhAzVo6mX8"]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OZhAzVo6mX8[/ame]

18. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

Hey, I'm curious if Tobijohn (or anyone) knows where the heck AL 2000 Floyds came from. I've got two,and they're notably different from standard AL2000s. The Floyded versions (aside from coming with a Floyd) have 24 fret necks that are longer than standard (so that the 24th fret is now where the 22nd fret was normally) and the bridge and bridge pickup are moved about 3/4" closer to the bridge pickup. In addition, the back of the guitar has a "tilted" neck heel that works almost like an Axcess.

So they didn't just toss a Floyd onto a standard AL2000. Wonder why they didn't put these features on a couple of AL2000s withOUT the Floyd, eh?

Neither of mine has managed to remain stock -- the black one has been PLEK'd and its frets superglued, and the white one has a surgically implanted Sustainer (and replaced neck and bridge pickups).

19. tobijohn

tobijohn Member

LOL, if someone had posted this over at AGF, I would have suggested that you were the guy who would know. That's very interesting and I'll bet there are a couple of folks over there who might have the answer...

20. Side Burns

Side Burns Senior Member