The Unofficial Anything Agile Al-**** Info and Photo Thread

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by Side Burns, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Kungphugrip

Kungphugrip Senior Member

damn slaveunit!
    those are some nice pieces,and i gotta admit im really starting to dig
    those al3110s with no binding i want one bad but Xmas is kicking my ass this year:(

2. Side Burns

Side Burns Senior Member

Hey, I just wanted to post that I took my guitar to get a pro set up by one of MLP's banner sponsors D'angelo Guitars. I asked him to do a full set up: set up and radius the nut and bridge, check the neck and level and dress the frets. The reason i brought it is was because i was going to record an EP with my band and I had some buzzing on a few frets. Mind you I play D standars and Drop C and the buzzing was only audible unpluged and slight.

So after I got it back I asked him what was the good & bad with the guitar. He said the string height on the nut was high, needed to be radiused to the neck and the frets were flat on top and needed to be profiled. Other than that the guitar was good. He pointed out any new guitar needs to have that done. So I then asked him what he thought of the Agile as a whole? He said the materials and parts are tops and he really liked it. He gave it a 9 to 10 out of 10.:thumb:

1 person likes this.
  3. Side Burns

Side Burns Senior Member

Double post

4. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Senior Member

There is a lotta love for these- they obviously punch way above their weight. The neck-thru has a great set of stripes, and the Agile cutaway moves it towards a "chopped hot rod" look. If I had a tobacco one, I'd probably be swayed towards a "copperizer" makeover...

Attached Files:

• 052.jpg
      052.jpg
      File size:
      87.6 KB
      Views:
    • 060.jpg
      060.jpg
      File size:
      97.8 KB
      Views:
    • 064.jpg
      064.jpg
      File size:
      94.7 KB
      Views:
    • 066.jpg
      066.jpg
      File size:
      95.7 KB
      Views:
  5. Scotty67

Scotty67 Senior Member

I have to pick one of these up. I like the neck through design. Great looking finishes too!

6. Side Burns

Side Burns Senior Member

This is a bit of a necro post but I wanted to update.

I upgraded the Agile switch with a Switchcraft short toggle switch with the longer threads. The old switch had the wire contacts on the end of the switch, where the switchcraft has it on the sides. The switch fit fine, but I noticed something. The black shielding paint in the cavity was just barely touching the side terminals of the switchcraft contacts and was making slight static. I just put a strip of electrical tape over the electrical terminals to solve that.

A few gigs and months later and it still works great. I guess the thing to keep in mind is that the black paint is conductive....

7. deaninkl

deaninkl Senior Member

I've done a few searches about Agile...trying to find out about who actually manufactures them and where.... all I seem to get are .orgs that point out they don't manufacture... simply distribute etc....

agileguitars.org is an example, rondo another, on either site no info about a factory, so can anyone tell me where Agile manufacture thier guitars?

Thanks.

8. gibbykohner

gibbykohner Senior Member

South Korea. Goes the same way as other brands. The more you pay, the better quality you'll get.

e.g. - AL-2000 < AL-3000 < AL-3200 < Custom Order

9. Side Burns

Side Burns Senior Member

Bump for Agile love. :)

10. Side Burns

Side Burns Senior Member

Hey agile fans,

I decided to follow up on a few mods and figured I'd keep it all on here.

I found that the Japanese LTD/ESP truss rod covers are a direct fit. I just wanted a blank one but it's good news for anyone that wants a custom text example. I may buy a Gibson historic bell and cut it to fit as a next project. Stay tuned.

Also I put Hipshot A04 pearloid tuner buttons on the stock Grover's. I just unscrewed the kidney buttons and fit the Hipshot ones.

The tuner buttons really compliment the MOP and binding, what do you think?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. tobijohn

tobijohn Member

I think that looks fantastic. I'm going to try it on a couple of my Agiles...

1 person likes this.
  12. Side Burns

Side Burns Senior Member

To keep this updated with my mods, I installed an open pickup cover on the neck. I'm not sure on how it looks, but I think I like it. It looks more finished

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

My most recent Agile came at the beginning of this year -- I'd been on the lookout for an AD-2300, and one of the guys on the AgileGuitarForums put up a PSA about one he'd found in a Craigslist ad in Vancouver. It was apparently hanging in a guitar shop (more exposure), and there were two things interesting about it. One was that it was just $130 ($299 from Rondo, but it had been discontinued) and the second was that it had a $185 set of Mike Rielander hand-wound P90's. I assumed it was probably not in top shape, but I figured that for $130, I couldn't go more than about $130 wrong with it <G>.

It arrived dirty, with green frets and nasty strings. About an hour and a bit of elbow grease later, it revealed itself as a near-perfect example of these guitars. Fretwork was surprisingly good, and those P90's are really really nice. It's been one of my most-played guitars this year.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. Side Burns

Side Burns Senior Member

Hey, quick update.

I took a Gibson historic truss rod cover and cut it to fit the Agile.

I put painters tape of the black side of the cover to protect it. I then put the original TRC and lined up the top screw hole. I scribed a line on the back of the Gibson TRC & used my dremel to cut it a little long. I then used a file to get it to fit nice.

I then filed down the casting marks of the hipshot tuner buttons and used the dremel with a wire wheel to soften the edges and give it a nice satin finish. if you compare the last pic I posted you can see the edges are a bit rounder. It made it at touch less clear and feels a lot better.

@dspelman, nice find!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. Side Burns

Side Burns Senior Member

Regarding the hipshot tuner buttons,

Here are a few aged vs stock close ups of the buttons.

I decided to wrap the threads of the screws in white plumbers thead tape on only the aged ones while I was at it.

So on the left is the original buttons
    On the right is the aged / white threaded version.

[​IMG]

I'm sure you can see a difference. It feels a lot better.
    [​IMG]

The bottom ones are original

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Side Burns

Side Burns Senior Member

Hey here's a quick update on further mods for the Agile.

I was looking at the big "epiphone" style screw heads on the pickup rings and noticing how much smaller and countersunk my MIJ and Gibson screws were.

So I went digging thru my parts and grabbed a set of Gibson historic pickup ring screws I had lying around. Now. on inspection the screws are a smidge different but they snugged up and fit perfect.

Ill post pics later but the screw heads are almost half the size now and they sit down in the pickup rings screw pocket like they should I guess.

I suspect this should work for all MIC, MIK, MII guitars that use metric hardware.

1 person likes this.
  17. Side Burns

Side Burns Senior Member

Not sure if the Gibson pup ring screw retrofit was ever gone over or discussed but here are some cell pics.

Compare the size of the ring screws compared to the pup adjustment screw before and after.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

ALD-3000 Prototype...

Dunno if you guys caught this as it flew through, a one of one prototype that sold off as a B stock:

Agile ALD-3000 Black - B Stock - RondoMusic.com

LP shape, carved (on top at least; I think the bottom may also be carved), bound top AND bottom, but the edges of the guitar are just 1" thick. This looks like a VERY comfortable LP-look guitar, and reminds me a bit of my L5S (carved top and bottom, with thinner edges, thicker center of the body, bound top and bottom).

Note the location of the pickup selector and that there are only two controls (MV, MT), but that the control cavity is large enough for at least four controls...

1 person likes this.
  19. Side Burns

Side Burns Senior Member

Wow I've always wanted a carved back solid body.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

Cool. Ship me $7K and I'll ship you one of the best L5S's from the '70's on the planet, all original.