The Unofficial Anything Agile Al-**** Info and Photo Thread

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by Side Burns, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Side Burns

Side Burns Senior Member

So as far as I've serched there's no Agile info/pic thread and I figured why not start one. So here's what I've found with parts swapping I've done.

- Switch tip thread is M3.5 x 0.6, just like the Epi's.
    - Epiphone pickup rings fit the Agile perfect.

I know rondo sells plastics kits but knowing you can search for an Epiphone part helps you in finding an amber switch tip (& keep the oem switch), or other custom parts you may want.

*All I need is to find a vender that makes nickle jack plates for Epi's :hmm:

Note: My Older MIJ Burny has a M4 thread switch tip & Gibson jack plate screw pattern but I suspect most modern MIK/MIC etc have the "Epiphone Standard" parts

Now on to my guitar...

I was ready to pull the trigger on an Agile custom about a year ago. So I went thru the options and figured out what I wanted. 1 it had to be a neck-thru and had to have a tobaco/vintage burst finish. Then, behold.... I found exactly what I wanted in stock. It had the bones of what I wanted and just needed some tweaks.

AL-3210 2TS

Ebony FB
    MOP Trap inlay
    5 piece neck (maple-walnut-maple-walnut-maple)
    ~5/8" Maple Cap (& It was supposed to be a veneer!)
    Mahagony wings
    Axcess carved heel and belly
    Graph Tech bridge
    Graph Tech Tusq nut
    Grover 18-1 tuners
    Alpha pots
    Anico V Pickups
    Cream plastics

+ added
    Rondo Black plastic kit
    Epiphone Amber switch tip

The first thing I did after opening the box & case was unscrew the ugly pick guard. I then swaped in black for the cream jack plate, control plate, switch and switch plate with the ones in the blackout kit I ordered. I left the cream rings in far a while and just played it got to know her as a base line. The pictures of the white looking plastics got washed out in the cell phone pics, but they are a nice cream.

I then took the bridge PU cover off and after a few weeks I pulled the neck PU cover off too. The PU covers muffle the sound, once I took them off they sounded sharper and crisper.

Eventualy I swaped the stock 0.047 uf caps for orange sprague 0.022 uf and left the modern wiring for now. I did all of this one at a time to really get to know how each change worked for me. The pickups were good, especially with the new caps. but since it's a working gigging guitar I replaced the pickups with a pair I've wanted.

SD 59 Zebra Neck
    Bill Lawrence Wilde XL500L Shielded Zebra Bridge

Anyway I hope the plastic epiphone parts info helps people tweak to tailor their own Agiles. I have yet to take a picture of the amber Epiphone switch tip on the Agile switch, but anyway here's picks of the my agile thru its evolution.

IMG_4111.JPG
    View attachment 250130 IMG_1278.JPG IMG_1701.JPG IMG_4114.JPG IMG_4113.JPG IMG_4112.JPG
    IMG_1701.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    6 people like this.
  2. slapshot

slapshot Senior Member

Stanley makes a damn good tape measure :thumb:

4 people like this.
  3. Side Burns

Side Burns Senior Member

Those that want to do custom TRC's on their Agiles, the truss rod covers are the same style as ESP/LTD guitars from the measurements I took.

4. Kungphugrip

Kungphugrip Senior Member

sweet guitar!
    just wondering how the Bill Lawrence xl500L worked out(was it a big improvement over stock)
    i have been considering trying one of these

5. Stub E. Fingers

Stub E. Fingers Junior Member

6. Side Burns

Side Burns Senior Member

I love the BL Wilde XL500L, it has enough output for modern hard rock & metal, but when you roll the guitar volume back it dials in a great vintage/bluesy sound. I highly recommend it if you switch between metal, rock, eyc. I run it thru a couple different dirt pedals depending on what I want to play. Very versital in my opinion. :thumb:

That's what I'm looking for, but with the holes spaced for an epiphone. I don't want to fill in and re-drill holes. I want the right fitting part.

1 person likes this.
  7. Stub E. Fingers

I wasn't aware there was a difference...although I am not surprised. Manufacturers need to leave specs alone and not be so proprietary so "drop in" means "drop in". Oh well...

8. Side Burns

Side Burns Senior Member

The top pic is of the stock Agile cap for reference.

[​IMG]

This is a shot right after I soldered the new cap in.

[​IMG]

9. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

What was the difference electrically? Do they measure different?

10. Side Burns

Side Burns Senior Member

Yea, if you read the OP or read the caps you can see the original one was a 0.047 uf cap and the new one is a 0.022 uf cap.

Capacitors are filters, so picture it as a pre-set EQ. The smaller the value the brighter it will sound. It's your typical Gibson set up I guess you can say. The 0.022 cap gives that brightness you need for harmonics or just that top end for a good crunch. IDK, that's my opinion.

The larger the capacitor value the darker the sound.

11. Bigby73

Bigby73 Member

Nice-looking guitar there. I've been wondering about the necks. I need a fat or fatter neck for my hands. I've played an Orville Custom with the baseball bat, and my 2011 Studio has a slim taper neck. How would you compare your Agile's neck to the usual LP necks?
    Thanks.

12. Kungphugrip

an Agile standard neck lands somewhere in between a 60s slim
    and a 50s,fatter than a 60s slim,not quite as fat as a 50s

and an Agile slim neck is even thinner than a 60s slim
    so if your looking for chunk i would go with an Agile wide neck

13. Side Burns

Side Burns Senior Member

Choice of Neck: (6 String Only) Standard, Slim, or Wide.

For the Standard Profile:
    - width of the neck @ nut is 1 11/16"
    - width of the neck @ 21st fret is 2 3/16".
    - thickness of the neck @ first fret is 21.5 mm
    - thickness of the neck @ 12th fret is 23.5mm.

For the Slim Profile:
    - width of the neck @ nut is 1 11/16"
    - width of the neck @ 21st fret is 2 3/16"
    - thickness of the neck @ first fret is 17 mm
    - thickness of the neck @ 12th fret is 21 mm

For the Wide Profile:
    - width of the neck @ nut is 1 3/4"
    - width of the neck @ 21st fret is 2 1/4"
    - thickness of the neck @ first fretis 21.5 mm
    - thickness of the neck @ 12th fret is 23.5mm

14. Side Burns

Side Burns Senior Member

Here's the wiring diagram for reference :)

[​IMG]

Edit: i just realized the diagram doesn't match my wiring lol :dunno:

Sorry for the DP

15. Stub E. Fingers

I just got an Agile AL 3100. I'll have to open her up and see what is in there. I wonder why Agile went with 500k pots and a 0.047 cap? Any thoughts Side Burns? I thought the common formula was high pot/low cap. How does it sound now?

16. Kungphugrip

not sure why they did this,i have replaced the caps in 2 of my agiles with OD 22s but i really cant say i hear anykind of improvement?

17. Side Burns

Side Burns Senior Member

Congrats & happy NGD. Post a pic! :)

I suspect the reason they use the 0.047 uf was the same reasons Epiphone and I'm sure most other late model Asian Les Paul manufacturers started using them... I just don't know what that reason is. The 500k pots is "the norm" with Les Pauls.

I love my Agile, I don't have any recordings of it tho. That Bill Lawrence L500XL IMHO in all practicality has as much output as an EMG with the guitar volume @ 10. Turn the volume to say 4-5 and the sound cools off to a nice bluesy vintage sound. That said, with the original pups w/covers off and the 0.022 caps the sound was more than good. Heck, I took it on stage like that more than a few times before swapping the pups.

18. Stub E. Fingers

I have an '08 MII Squier Standard Strat that I bought for my kid a few years ago... Same thing, 500k pots with a 0.047 cap. However I suspect that was to compensate for less than average pups. I may switch it up with some CTS 250ks and a set of Tonerider Vintage pickups as it's otherwise a nice guitar. I can post some pics of the 3100 as well. I had been in the market for an Epi LP Standard when I found Rondomusic.com and went with the Agile. That rootbeer flame caught my eye. Now if I can become a "player" and not just an "owner".

19. Jingle Bell

Jingle Bell Junior Member

Not sure what this thread is all about but since it's unofficial AND anything I guess it is OK to post this picture. Yes, opened the book on my Agile AL-3000 with my bare hands and a set of blunt carpenter's tools. Despite or because of my efforts, she's not a looker but sure she is a player. She's got some Rotosound Darkzones on her, 10-60, and the Fuzz is ON. I have SD Alnico II Pros on a Greco LP and I like these stock Agile alnico 2s much more. She feels so heavy on lap, I can't believe she only weighs 4,3 kilos.

Attached Files:

20. notme

notme Senior Member

My recently acquired 3200 black quilt B stock (I stole it). Bone stock as you see but Ive been just getting used to it. I love it, its my #1!
    I may try removing the p/u covers as long as the pups underneath are black. Should look good. Im giving it some time before I decide any other cosmetic changes.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.