The ultimate guitar related discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by Phil47uk, Sep 8, 2010.

1. 3rdstone

3rdstone Senior Member

I had forgotten how cool this thread was...:thumb: Bump.

2. moodyedge

moodyedge Senior Member

[​IMG]

Interlarken I was staying at...taking the trip up each day to the runs.....spent a few days in wengen....I came back hooked on snowboarding having never did it before. Got all my own gear now and am meant to be heading back in feb again....cant wait. Id rather go to on a ski trip holl than a hot country holl anyday now having been.

3. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

I know Interlaken well. in fact it's not that far from my other cousins in Berne.
    I don't know if you already have, but take the train to the top of the Jungfrau.
    The train goes right into the north face of the Eiger on it's way up and halfway up it stops and you can look out through a toughened glass window straight down the north face of the Eiger. Awesome.:shock:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx9eNmYGE00&feature=related]YouTube - ‪Eiger Looking out Eigerwand 2865m P2.MOV‬‏[/ame]

4. moodyedge

moodyedge Senior Member

My parents went up there but I went to First and was boarding all day instead. I did go up to the Piz Gloria Restaurant on the Schilthorn which was kinda mind blowing, as were the menu prices.....Something like £18 for cheese on toast.....

Listening to Gary Moore's 'I had a dream' up there had me in a mess.

I love the place.

5. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

:lol:
    Oh yeah Switzerland is mega expensive that's for sure. While we were over there a few months ago, my wife and I had lunch out with my cousin and her husband in the village of Gruyere and it cost £10 for a bowl of soup. :shock:

6. moodyedge

moodyedge Senior Member

The prices are very entertaining. How good is drinking hot choc out in the cold though especially there? Arh is there anything better...I wonder.

7. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

All according to what chocolate content you are talking about.. American.. Forget it ..Awful .. English..passable.. Swiss, Now you are talking connoissieur. :laugh2:

8. bawtry

bawtry Junior Member

Ok the Reinhardt story.
    I used to know the Jazz guitarist Curly Clayton very well as he had a studio near me in London and I'd often do sessions for him with other guys locally like Clem Catini ( The drummer on the original Telstar ).
    Curly used to play guitar for the Edmundo Ross orchestra and one day while he was playing a guy said to him.." Hey guess who's sitting over there in the corner Curly, it's Django Reinhardt." :shock:
    Curly reckoned he nearly crapped himself, but during the break went over to where Reinhardt was sitting. He reckons he had a woman in each arm and a pint tumbler of gin. Anyway Curly asks him if he wants to play and Reinhardt sort of grunted a no.
    Back on stage sometime later Reinhardt suddenly strolls up and points to Curly's guitar ( A Gibson L5 ).
    Curly hands it to him and the band leader asks him what he want's to play.. Reinhardt shrugs his shoulders, so eager to get things going the band leader suggests 'Sweet Georgia Brown'. Reinhardt nods an approval and they ask him what key he wants to do it in.. Again Reinhardt just shrugs.
    Anyway they kick off in the written key and Reinhardt just comes in. Curly said he just sat there watching as Reinhardt played 24 choruses of 'Sweet Georgia Brown ' and not one the same as the last.
    Then suddenly half way through a chorus he just gets up smiles and hands Curly back his guitar and walks off back to his table, women and gin.
    He didn't even wait for the band to finish or for anyone to applaud even.
    Curly observed him all evening and said that he was an amazing person, in fact extremely childish in his behaviour and sat there with these women and his drink giggling and laughing like a little kid in a sweet shop.
    In fact very much like that scene in 'Amadeus'.:laugh2:

Youv'e just got to love these people..
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjmmjXGwarU]Peter Shaffer's Amadeus in 30 seconds - YouTube[/ame][/QUOTE]

Hi Phil, I am putting together a webpage for Curly Clayton on another website for jazz guitarists, after spotting a photo of Curly with Roy Plummer. I knew Curly in the years before his death (in 2009) and he shared much information about his career and wondered if you would mind me using your story above? I also wondered if you had any other stories regarding Curly that you would share for me to add to the page - I am new to the forum after just finding your post so not sure how to send messages privately. Thanks

Phil47uk likes this.
  9. bawtry

bawtry Junior Member

Sorry if I posted this incorrectly, just figuring my way around this site..