The Thread I Didn't Think I'd Ever Start... or My Adventures With PAS

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by GibsonKramer, May 21, 2016.

1. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

I started playing guitar when I was 12 or 13. I took lessons for a while, but mostly learned to play by ear. I had crappy guitars, for the most part and even worse amps. I tried pedals a few times, trying to make my crappy guitars and amps, sound good. Plus, with barely the money for the guitars and amps, the pedals

I quit playing for a very long time. At least 18 years.

I finally walked into a store one day about two years ago, and asked to see a LP. My journey had restarted, with much joy and amazement. Bought a lot of guitars and amps, since.

I was happy. I had an guitar/amp, that hit about every tone I wanted. Though, for some of the 80s stuff I wanted to play... I really needed a bit more oomph. So I looked into pedals again.

I DIY'd my first pedalboard, after digging out a barely working CryBaby, OD and Flanger. The 2nd revision came out nice enough, I decided to put some money into it. I bought an isolated power supply. And I bought pedals. Lots of pedals. I believe every pedal I've purchased recently, has been this month only. Not sure when I bought the JHS wah, that started it.

Here's my recent purchases and my impressions of them. Personally, other than a chorus... I think I built just about the perfect board for me. I can plug it into the front end of any one of my amps, and most sound better than they ever did, for a lot of the stuff I play. Jubilee doesn't necessarily sound better, just different. More bite, for sure. Everything has a BIG bite to it.

[​IMG]

The only pedal I already owned before this mad journey started. The Boss CS-3, I bought probably a year ago.

[​IMG]

Chain Order: Volume (split to tuner) > Wah > Compressor/Sustain > Soul Food OD > EP Booster > Decimator II > Phase > Delay > Reverb

Ernie Ball VP Jr Volume Pedal - Does what its supposed to do, does it well. I'm not a fan of the string, but whatever. It works. Haven't decided where I want it in the chain. Though, I do like it where it's at. The beginning.

JHS Dunlop CryBaby - Has a true bypass and tone shaping, volume pot. The tone shaping takes it from a Wah to a Whoa... which is pretty cool. I keep it at noon. The best sounding wah, I've ever used. I can't ever see parting with it, as I've always owned a wah pedal, whether I was playing or not.

Boss CS-3 Compressor/Sustain - Not my favorite pedal in the world, but I think some of it, is user error. I need to play with the settings maybe? I run it max attack, sustain about 3/4. Level and Tone at noon. It does do what I want, I just think it sounds a bit too harsh.

EHX Soul Food OD - I bought this, because I was watching a Johan Segeborn video and the pedal he was using, was divine. I saw in the comments, it was Klon. Then I saw this was a Klon clone... watched some videos and decided it was a good idea. It truly was. My old Boss OS-2 immediately came off the board. While, I did like that pedal. The Soul Food hits that tone, and just has "it," in my opinion. Might mod it, just to see what else it can do.

Xotic EP Booster - While I knew this wasn't a clean boost, I kept reading the same thing. People loved it. A lot of guys ran it as an always on pedal. I view it more as an EQ/Gain boost goose, than the db boost I was looking for. Having said that, I don't think its going anywhere. Its might get moved to front of OD pedal and the Mini Spark I have on order, after. But... I'll most likely keep the Xotic for a while. It makes all my amps sound better, except the Jubilee and it just makes her sound different. She's already perfection. :cool: I had heard it was a "dark" pedal... which I was worried with the Tweaker/Mesa are a dark sounding combination at lower volumes especially. The EP really brought to life, however. No more, sounding muffled at bedroom volumes. Though, with the boost... I don't have much wiggle room on "bedroom volume."

ISP Decimator II - This was originally suggested to me, when they only still made the first version. I was against it at that time. The way it was explained to me, I thought it would rob too much of everything. Sustain, tone, volume. Just sounded like a bad idea, from the guy that told me about it. I was set on a NS-2, which I never bought. In the meantime, I had become impressed with the ISP boxes. When it came time to buy, I didn't hesitate to get this noise suppressor. Easiest and one of the best pedals, I've ever used. If it was stolen, would definitely replace.

MXR EVH Phase 90
    - I was looking for the old school orange box, but when this popped up, I grabbed it. Eddie Van Halen, Iron Maiden, Rush... this nails them. You can have it, when you pry it from my dead fingers. I have always tried to have a Phase. I had an original, which I stupidly sold when I was I think 15. I won't make the mistake again.

TC Electronics Flashback Delay - My impulse buy. I know I'll eventually use it. Plus, with the TonePrint, gives it a lot of options. I just have a lot of things I'm playing with now. I'll eventually get to discovering how well this works. Sounds awesome!

TC Electronics HOF Reverb - I didn't have any need for the full size model and am relieved I didn't spend for one. This one is perfect. I wanted a very simple, good sounding, effective reverb. The TonePrint software is favorite on this pedal, so far.

Special Mention: TC Electronics Polytune 2 Noir. Thank you for being very tiny.

7 people like this.
  2. rjshare

rjshare Senior Member

cool stuff.

funnily enough i'm looking at od pedals for a fairly lightweight od sound and one of them i'm thinking of is the soul food - as i currently have, amongst other things... an os2! :rofl:

1 person likes this.
  3. GibsonKramer

I really like the Soul Food. The volume knob, it's mostly useless, but the gain and the treble are awesome. Goes from adding just a mild crunch, to a buzzsaw. The treble will open up a dark sounding amp/cab, or calm a wild one. I really, really it.

I like the OS-2, the SF just pretty much hits those same tones, but more roundness towards the side I like.

A friend from church has the JHS Moonshine, and a regular TS9 for sale. Trying to get a price from him now. He's slow responding to texts. Haha.

I should have more than enough gain on tap, yeesh. A TC Mini Spark soon to be added, OD pedal, EP Boost, and going to add another OD pedal. I thought it was nuts, at first... but that's what I find myself messing with the most. My gain structure, and tone. I love adding a cocked wah to it, which is why I like the JHS so much.

So I guess adding another gain pedal, is no different than adding another time, or phase based pedal. I still think I want a chorus and octave pedal, though.

I really need to figure out, how best to run this compressor. Right now, I'm looking at the TC version. It sounds nice.

4. rjshare

rjshare Senior Member

i've got one of those comps too :rofl:

i never use mine though as i have a digitech main squeeze on my board.

1 person likes this.
  5. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

love it! Perfectly cromulent board.

if you use the volume pedal for swells, try it after the compressor. If it's just for on/off, leave it where it is. most importantly, make it sound good to your ears, and have fun!

1 person likes this.
  6. GibsonKramer

Cromulent, well I suppose you could call it that.

I don't use it for swells. It's just on/off, some fade out. About it. It's just easier for my brain to work out, than the guitar's pots. I don't know why?

It's obviously ever changing, seems what most do, once they get into pedals.

I was always just a plug straight in, pure guitar and amp. That's why I have I have 7 amps. I was playing certain guitars, only with certain amps, and I didn't like the way some sounded together. I figured it was time to give pedals another go.

But, now I have to get back that sound in my head. It's a little bit 70s, 80s. There's a lot of overdrive, lot of Marshall. Certain songs, sounds stick out. Phase, flange, chorus, etc...

I'm so close on overdrive sound I want, there's just something... I think it's just getting my pedals adjusted right, and I'm having a love/hate with the TC Spark. It does exactly what I want, but I was hoping I would use it more. It's very bright though. Great for a quick boost, kind of meh for on longer than that. Maybe I'll try it, after the SP instead? I can hear the tone I want in there, just having issues getting it covered consistently. If that makes sense?

As I stated in the beginning. I'm a n00b with a lot of this stuff. I stopped playing for a very long time.

Here's where it stands now. Probably going to upgrade to the larger power supply.

[​IMG]

7. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

If it were me, I'd run the compressor first, as they can amplify noise of anything before it, with an added bonus of adding a buffer before your volume pedal. If you want your volume pedal to act as your guitar's volume, leave it near the front. Personally, I'd stick it right before the delay, so you could still fade in/out, on/off or swell if you want to.
    Those are the first two experiments I'd try. After that, try the booster in a few different places.

8. GibsonKramer

Interesting...

Its really close to the beginning of the chain. The Vol and Wah are the only things before it. I didn't think it would be a good idea before the wah, because I know you're not supposed to run a compressor in front of a tremolo (makes sense), I thought it would have a similar negative effect on the wah.

Guess it won't hurt to try it? I really need to break it down and set things up, how they sound best. I hooked it up, the way it made sense in my head. And it does sound really good to me. Even my son came out of his room last night, with a big grin on his face and said, "do that again! that sounded awesome!" Really just one of the few times opening up the Jubilee and 4x12. But, I had spent some time tweaking amp settings and pedals before I gave it a go.

I'll give the Vol a try in some different spots, for sure. I'd think I'd like it right after the Decimator, before the Phase.

9. switchback

switchback Senior Member

Cool story, thanks for sharing it, welcome back. Nice pedals, for me its the Volume, Wah, compressor, dirts, boost, flange, phase, reverb, decimator. The Ears are the best judge though, have fun :)

10. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

Well, actually you should absolutely have the compressor before the tremolo, unless you're looking to see a stomp box cage match. ;)

11. jaycoyoyo

jaycoyoyo Senior Member

I struggled with overdrives that were too bright and found a couple that can be dialed back:
    • OCD / Joyo Ultimate Drive
    • Xotic BB / EHX Crayon

I have had the Joyo and Crayon on my board recently and they both play very nice with the Soul Food.

[​IMG]

HTH YMMV

-Jay

1 person likes this.
  12. GibsonKramer

I almost bought a used OCD today. I heard it stacks nicely with the Soul Food, and has a "Marshally" vibe to it.

Would have, if I hadn't just bought an $1800 guitar, and paid $60 for my Kramer to finally get fixed. WOO HOO for the return of OFR Dive Bombs!