The things we do to get to play

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by OHIOSTEVE, Jul 11, 2018 at 5:19 PM.

1. OHIOSTEVE

OHIOSTEVE Senior Member

I have a show saturday at 4:00..... I have to be in Knoxville Tenn. Friday by 2:00 for a business meeting. I have to work tonight and tomorrow night. So I have to get up early friday morning and drive to Knoxville. Attend a meeting from 2 to 5 then a reception from 6 to 7. Then dinner with the new company owner/president then drive back so I can be at my show sat. I COULD stay fri night I guess and rush back sat morning. But I would rather not have to play a show after just driving 6 hours.
    If this was not a "meet and greet " with the new president I would just skip it.

freebyrd 69 likes this.
  2. Rotorhead

Rotorhead Senior Member

It's the nature of the beast, Steve.

Years ago a NC military unit was coming home from deployment and their welcome home party was at an arena in Raleigh and featured Hootie and the Blowfish. It kicked off around 2pm because the band had a full show later that night in Indiana.

One would figure the band would put on a skimpy stripped down version of their show and then beat feet on up to where they'd be playing for money. Not these guys.

Not only did they set up their full stage (they were hugely popular at the time), but they also put on their full show and then hung around mingling with the crowd for another hour or two.

When asked if they were in a hurry to leave, Darius said "no way, THIS is where we belong, thanking the troops as best we can". They did the whole show for free, too.

They showed a lot if class that day and I had a whole new respect for them as people, even if I was already burnt out on their songs lol.

It comes down to a love of what you do.

3. defcrew

defcrew Senior Member

Those guys always seemed really down to earth.

Rotorhead likes this.
  4. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Silver Supporter Premium Member

We had a show June 30th...a week and a half ago. I forgot when I booked it that we were leaving for family vacation that weekend. Got home and to bed at 3 a.m., woke up at 7 a.m. to drive 4 hours north, pulling a boat behind us. Fun stuff! LOL.

DarrellV and Frogfur like this.
  5. NotScott

NotScott Silver Supporter

Part of the reason I stopped playing out for several years was that I was just done with it. It just started to feel like a job and wasn't fun any longer. After several years away from it though, I missed the fun aspect of it but now had a serious job running an international company that had me working 70 hour weeks and traveling all over the world, so any serious band offers I received I could never accept because I would never have any time to devote to the project.

After forming my own business seven years ago, I now had time for personal pursuits and I still missed the fun aspect of gigging. So when my late brother-in-law asked me to become a member of this new project he was putting together, I decided to give it a go again.

Although that band is gone now, I realized how much fun I used to have gigging and how much I enjoy playing. I am working with another band now that gigs regularly and I am having fun again.

My point being that if you love what you do, you will find the time and if you don't love what you do, you will find something else.

freebyrd 69 and Frogfur like this.
  6. Neffco

Neffco Senior Member

I took a 6 year break. Had a son and had to get my ass to work. Relocated and ended up with some pretty good gigs playing bass for a couple established guys in the area. Even opened for Aaron Tippon and will be opening for Ned Ledux next weekend.

Now I’m playing guitar in a two piece rock show. I like the two piece because I can basically practice any time I want and don’t need anyone else but my looper for solos and a few tunes that I can layer up. Then I’m all dialed in for rehearsal or gigs with my drummer on weekends.

I’m enjoying it again, when I was trying to do it as a job, it was a job.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 3:59 PM
    freebyrd 69 likes this.
  7. OHIOSTEVE

OHIOSTEVE Senior Member

My issue is my regular sales job has taken a nose dive. 100% my fault, after Jake died I just didn't want to do anything and haven't gotten it going again. The playing kind of took off at the same time. So the playing, with some sparse sales from my job and selling off guitars I never played and shuffling credit cards have kept our heads above water barely. I have never admitted this to anyone but right now at this very minute, if I had to put my hands on 1000 bucks to save my life, I would have to just die. So even though I LOVE playing, I also HAVE to right now. I get paid very well for a solo guy in this area but there are not enough hours in the week to play enough to cover what I made in my sales job. I hustle for gigs, but there are only so many friday and saturday nights .

freebyrd 69 likes this.
  8. Rotorhead

Rotorhead Senior Member

Maybe a bar or two would entertain the idea of a Tuesday night set to liven things up?

9. OHIOSTEVE

OHIOSTEVE Senior Member

There is one a couple towns south that has music every night. I have played there a few times on a tuesday night. The money is not much and the owner pretty much says take it or leave it because he ckaims to have bands lined up to play.

Rotorhead likes this.
  10. Rotorhead

Rotorhead Senior Member

Ahh. Well yes that would suck. Many times it's just not worth the trouble.

11. SteveC

SteveC Village Elder V.I.P. Member

Far be it from me to give advice, Steve... but, I think you might need to push through the funk and get back into the day job in a big way. Gigging music is only going to get harder and there is really no long term future in it. Do it for fun, not to make rent.

Take a deep breath. Exhale. Then, get back to making a living and planning for the future of you and your family. Money doesn't buy happiness, but it feeds families, keeps the rain off and if some is saved... will keep your golden years for sucking.

You can do it.

then, gig for shits & giggles.

12. OHIOSTEVE

OHIOSTEVE Senior Member

Heartfelt and honest advice is always appreciated.

DarrellV, SteveC and Rotorhead like this.
  13. OHIOSTEVE

OHIOSTEVE Senior Member

In Knoxville.... I hate driving.

14. OHIOSTEVE

OHIOSTEVE Senior Member

Back home from knoxville. Got a bad case of drag ass lol

DarrellV likes this.
  15. DarrellV

DarrellV About as sharp as a bowlin' ball! Silver Supporter Premium Member

You need coffee! Lots and strong!

Do not burn the candle from both ends for too long or you'll be of no use to anyone, including yourself.

Winston Churchill used to take power naps whenever he could.

Claimed it was one of the secrets of his success in handling his affairs.

16. ErictheRed

ErictheRed Senior Member

He should have said, "No, I only wanna be with youu, ooohh!"

Rotorhead, James R and OHIOSTEVE like this.
  17. OHIOSTEVE

OHIOSTEVE Senior Member

on it..just woke up and on my first cup

18. OHIOSTEVE

OHIOSTEVE Senior Member

Ugh..... I get to the bar, and they want me out on the patio. It is HOT. I mean blister your back HOT. I try to persuade em to let me play inside in the AC because....it is HOT. Bartender insists I play outside and I tell her YOU'RE THE BOSS ...... have I mentioned it is HOT HERE? ANYWAY here is a pic of my crowd the entire first set. [​IMG]
    My wife and the bartender. It picked up SLIGHTLY when it cooled off. Last set one of the owners showed up and asked me why I did not set up inside since it was too hot for people to be out there?

19. OHIOSTEVE

OHIOSTEVE Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Stopped by my buddys show.....the pic does not do the crowd justice..... now there is a big festival on the courthouse yard. LITERALLY 50 yards outside the door where he is playing is the headliner band that my my buddy opened for playing. The crowd in here is twice the crowd out there .it is HOT.

20. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

Hey Steve..

I read on the internet that Ohio can be a Hot place in July.

[​IMG]

Is that true?

:laugh2: