The Steve Hunter Burst / Slash Burst / Pre-A.F.D. Era **TRUTH REVEALED**

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by 1958BURST, Jan 13, 2009.

Who made the Hunter Burst?

1. Gibson

68 vote(s)
    14.0%
  2. Roman Rist

205 vote(s)
    42.3%
  3. Max

126 vote(s)
    26.0%
  4. Kris Derrig

86 vote(s)
    17.7%
  1. 1958BURST

1958BURST Senior Member

LA ROCK HISTORY TIME CAPSULET
    An MLP Exclusive

THE HUNTER BURST
    Revealed

(Thanks to Marc Canter's book "Reckless Road "we now have a detailed photo journal of exactly what guitars Slash was using in 1986 up until the time of the AFD release.)

[​IMG]
    JANUARY 18TH 1986 - SLASH BACKSTAGE AT THE ROXY WITH
    " THE HUNTER BURST " - MARC CANTER PHOTO

Fact: Slash did own another Les Paul guitar described by Slash as "The 1959 Reissue" formerly owned by Steve Hunter (Alice Cooper / Lou Reed guitarist) who purchased the guitar in the early 1980's from a well known Hollywood Luthier....

Affectionately known now as the “ The Hunter Burst ” which Slash regrettably hocked/sold the guitar in mid-July of 1986 as told by Slash in his self biography.

""The Steve Hunter Burst" was acquired by Slash on Wednesday September 25th 1985 from Howie Huberman / Albert Molinaro of Guitars R Us who's shop was right next door to Steve Hunter's place and traded the guitar to Slash just prior to the famous 8th Annual LA Street Scene Sept 28th 1985

[​IMG]
    MARC CANTER'S
    "RECKLESS ROAD"
    LIMITED EDITION SLASH COVER

The problem with this guitar being a Gibson 1959 reissue is does not resemble anything Gibson was making during this period. For instance, the 1982 Gibson Guitar Trader Les Paul had a much lower silk screened "Les Paul" logo and the inked on serial numbers were located much lower on the backside of the headstock than the Hunter Burst photos indicate.

Also note the earlier Jimmy Wallace / The KM and the Heritage 80 models that were released previously do not resemble the Hunter Burst either during that period.

So was it a real 1950's Burst
    or a Burst Conversion
    or something else?

(We've reached out to Steve Hunter recently to confirm his recollection of the guitar - More to come on this as we receive information from Steve)

SITE EXCERPT FROM

:slash:

2. FLICKOFLASH

FLICKOFLASH V.I.P. Member

why am I getting the feeling something big is going to come of this ?

3. Roman

Roman Master Luthier V.I.P. V.I.P. Member

Here is some more info from someone who was actually there at the time, that being me.

The "Hunter Burst" was sold to slash by Howie Hubberman.

Knowing how Howie operated, I am 99.9% sure it went to Slash on some kind of credit or barter.

Slash was a struggling musician at the time and had no money.

Howie took many bands under his wing and was looking to get into management.
    He worked with GNR and Poison at that time, and to a lesser degree Ratt.

If you were in a band that he felt was going somewhere, he would help you out with getting gear. He was a great supporter of the local music scene.

Here is a little back story on the History.

I had recently bought Image Guitars from MaX who at the time was still going by Peter Baranet.

We had a place around the corner from The Sunset store on Sierra Bonita ave.

Howie and Albert had a shop right next door which was called Guitars R US, but had no sign. The only sign was Peter's IMAGE guitars.

The illusion was that we were all the same place but they were separate shops.

[​IMG]

Myself, being the new owner of Image Guitars, Moved to a larger shop right on Sunset Blvd.

The place was huge.

Howie and Albert were still on the side Street.

I spent about month renovating the new shop and getting it ready. I still called the place Image Guitars but was planning to phase out the name in favor of using my own.

Max at the time was MIA, off to "retire". He came out of retirement when I had come into a bit of money and we decided to embark on a project consisting of a batch of Korina V's and Explorers. We ran an ad in guitar player and Gibson was not doing the reissue yet.

Our "partnership" did not last that long, and after a batch of guitars we moved on.

Here is the last of the batch, which I did not finish till last year. I was saving it for my self and someone talked me out of it.

[​IMG]

Max and I parted ways for now, although he frequented the shop.

At this time, I built a studio Apt in the back of the shop and moved in.

Howie and Albert were bugging me to get on Sunset, as they were still in the original location.

I rented the front 1/3d of my shop to them to help out with overhead.

While good in many aspects it also hurt me. For one they put up a Guitars R US sign and now people thought I worked for them, and they sure liked to convey that idea.

Eventually I said get your own damn store and they moved a couple of doors down on sunset, and I put up the Rist Guitars sign. At their new location is where Jim (El Toro), worked for them.

Onto the HUNTER BURST;

Steve was a regular in all our shops.

I would do work for him, Max would do work for him, and Howie would sell him gear.

Steve had been getting more into Strats and one day came into the store with this burst.

It was by far the prettiest burst I had ever seen. Most of the 50s I had seen were more plaintops.

This thing was just stunning!

Many hours were spent drooling over this burst and not just by myself. At night after Howie would leave, I'd pull it down.:)

And what a beauty it is!
    :thumb:

Fact; The Hunterbust IS the first guitar in the Slash AFD years.

Roman

telemon56 and Hamtone like this.
  4. 1958BURST

1958BURST Senior Member

HEY FLICK - I THINK YOUR RIGHT

AFTER THE ALL FACTS COME OUT FROM STEVE - ITS GOING TO BE HUGE!

:slash: SLASH PLAYED WHICH GUITAR 1ST?

5. 1958BURST

1958BURST Senior Member

[​IMG]

GREAT STORY ROMAN !
    HERE IS THE 1960 SLASH BURST CLOSE-UP - NOBODY HAS EVER SEEN THIS PHOTO BEFORE STRIAGHT FROM MAX - I'M POSTING THIS ONE FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME ON WWW.KRISDERRIG.COM - NOTICE THAT IT HAS THE SEYMOUR DUNCAN PICKUPS IN IT INTIALLY

6. 1958BURST

1958BURST Senior Member

STAY TUNED - SOMETHING HUGE IS COMING....:slash:

7. fisheric

fisheric Senior Member

ooohhh intriguing...

8. Roman

YUP:naughty:

9. Roman

From the AFD thread

10. FLICKOFLASH

Damn !!! bet who ever he is will get really busy soon ....!!!:thumb::naughty:
    Slash: Derrig vs Max - The AFD Period

11. EEF13

EEF13 Senior Member

this looks like its gonna be fucking interesting

12. DucRyder

DucRyder Senior Member

Scott and Roman, you have my attention...

13. decoy205

decoy205 Senior Member

What's the deal???? We got more info?? MLP SUSPENSE!!!!

14. vladmaximus

vladmaximus Senior Member

goshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

slash...again???

hi hi hiiiii...

15. mrpesca

mrpesca Senior Member

Very interesting history. It was all happening right under my nose. I grew up a mile from Rumbo Studios. Drove by it every day. Saw lots of bands there unloading gear. Never paid much attention. Of course I was as f'ed up as Slash and company. I used to hang out at the Rainbow, the Roxy, the Whiskey and the Troubadour. I probably saw those guys before they made it big, i just don't remember much from those days. Too much mind altering substances. Keep the history coming though. I'm interested in what I missed.

16. doubletalkinjive

doubletalkinjive Senior Member

I'm all ears! :)

This is cool reading! Keep it up!:thumb:

17. Eggy

Eggy Senior Member

I'm desperate for an update on this :wow:

Roman, have you got any more photos of the shops from back in the day?
    I'd love to see the kind of thngs that were hanging on the walls back in 86. Over here there a lot of the old Aria Pro 2 stuff, Jacksons, Washurns etc. Les Pauls were a rare sight in any numbers and it wasn't until after AFD hit that I saw LP's back up on display.
    One local shop made a display in the window of two Standards with the album cover in between and a top hat. I used to drool at those two every time I walked past. The local "do gooders" made them take the album cover out though as it was the original "Robot rape" sleeve and they weren't impressed by the subject matter :rolleyes:

Thanks for a great thread!

18. 1958BURST

1958BURST Senior Member

LA ROCK HISTORY TIME CAPSULET
    An MLP Exclusive

THE HUNTER BURST
    Revealed

More facts….

Fact - Guns and Roses used to live and rehearse right behind Max Guitars - Hollywood in 1985 / 1986

[​IMG]

MAX BARANET WORKING ON ED VAN HALEN'S FRANKENSTRAT
    IMAGE GUITAR PHOTO 1979 - 1982

GUNS AND ROSES LOCKOUT GARAGE

IN BACK OF MAX GUITARS

Actual Guns and Roses Rehearsal Garage - here

[​IMG]

MAX BARANET BEHIND HIS SHOP MAX GUITARS - SUNSET BLVD - IN FRONT OF THE GUNS AND ROSES INFAMOUS GARAGE -MAX PHOTO

Fact - Slash and the band would always be hanging out and partying behind Max Guitars, Hollywood at the infamous lockout

Rumor - Slash knew Kris personally - False!!!!

Fact - Slash personally knew Max and saw him daily out back of his shop for years but Slash never met Kris, and did not even know his name until recent history.

Slash never met the Kris! Only Alan Niven knew Kris and his work through Jim Foote, Jim was the key to Alan getting the Derrig.

photos and content courtesy of

:slash: here are a couple more early shop photos guys - stay tuned - way more to come!
    SS​

Who made the Hunter Burst !

Legendary Master Luthier
    Roman Rist

reveals the truth after NAMM 2009

19. FLICKOFLASH

Max, Roman,WB,BCR Greg & I believe 1958burst are all at Namm with the Hunter Burst & the MLP guitar

20. Eggy

Eggy Senior Member

Awesome!
    Thank's for the photo's. This thread is great!