The Sexy Hexy Burst: 1958 Gibson Les Paul Standard guitar owned by Alex Conti of Lake, Atlantis +

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by eric ernest, Jun 20, 2018.

1. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Why not call it Heiner, the Weiner? So catchy. :laugh2:

2. goldtop0

goldtop0 Senior Member

Thanks for posting Eric........a great looking LP with a good story....wunderbar:cheers2:

bulletproof and eric ernest like this.
  3. eric ernest

eric ernest V.I.P. Member

I would love it if some of you guys in Europe could scare up some additional photos from 1975-1976. They just don't exist on this side of the pond.

All of those 45's I posted I bought on eBay out of Germany.

bulletproof likes this.
  4. mapleflame

mapleflame Senior Member

Cool guitar Eric. It's unfortunate that it was tough to get it right. I would have contacted a certain person in Washington State.

bulletproof, RyanC and eric ernest like this.
  5. eric ernest

Here’s a screen capture of a copy of the ‘58 ledgers I was able to get illustrating the incorrect serial number.

8 1534 is a lap steel.

I also made another determination recently about the multiple use of walnut pore filler on this guitar that I will share when time permits.

3DE8F641-9440-47FC-9CA0-B96CD26755C1.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  6. mrfett

mrfett Hello, my name is mrfett and I'm a guitaraholic. Premium Member

7. expo

expo Senior Member

Did you try to get in contact with Alex?
    I haven't seen him for years...but I remember he tried to sell a 52 goldtop in Frankfurt some years ago, when the BurstBrothers showed the Peter Weihe Burst at Musikmesse Frankfurt. Maybe 2009.

Jo

PS: they have a Facebook page:

8. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

"Sexy Hexy" is a German paraphrase for a very beautiful girl, so it fits this guitar a 100%!

Thanks for sharing!

bulletproof likes this.
  9. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Wow -- read that "Calling out Detlef" thread, and 8 hours later, back into this one... the history of that guitar sure is a bone of contention, which is too bad because as someone who loves making, restoring, and playing guitars, and who loves a beautiful instrument -- and who really hates collecting! -- it's pretty neat to see (business aside) this instrument gradually take better and better shape. From my stand point, that's all to the good, and in its current condition the instrument speaks for itself. As to the business dealings and internet combat, well, that's a freak show all right and people expose themselves for who they are. I've been on many forums, including "the other" Les Paul forum, and people gravitate to where they feel best. I found the other forum boring and elitist, and hardly ever go there anymore. I love this one because you have guys like A Randall, Freddy, and B Howard among others who share priceless information about how to get things done; Kris Ford weighs in all the time to help identify instruments, and 20-30 other regulars have really interesting, helpful opinions, from expert to just common sense. And we have excellent mods who give leeway but not license. I appreciate being cautioned on those occasions, now rare, when I get wound up, but I like being able to hear what others really think. Back to the OP on this new thread: that's a nice guitar! I don't think there's any instrument I love more than one that's been played and played, through the wringer, and still beautiful. Lots more appealing to me than a minty one in a vault -- guitar prison --somewhere.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    bulletproof, mdubya, VictorB and 2 others like this.
  10. eric ernest

Thanks for the kind words and thoughtful post.

I find it curious that people will pay considerably more for a new guitar with fake aging.....yet many insist on greatly devaluing vintage guitars that have wear.

Wear is GOOD on a new guitar, but wear is BAD on an old one. Something is wrong in this equation. :rofl:

11. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

Slight derail,
    Does the notation to the right indicate where/who the instruments were shipped to?

Just wondering if that's how they (Gibson)tried to keep track of what was shipped where.

3DE8F641-9440-47FC-9CA0-B96CD26755C1.jpeg

bulletproof and mrfett like this.
  12. eric ernest

Yes, you are correct.

13. chasenblues

Must of been a good sized shop/store to get 16 instruments(Lap steels) in 1 shipment?

bulletproof likes this.
  14. eric ernest

Even music instructors could get a Gibson dealership back them. Whatever the case, they were probably heavily involved in lessons.

bulletproof likes this.
  15. Britbender

Britbender Senior Member

So it wasn't a goldtop after all ?

bulletproof likes this.
  16. eric ernest

correct

bulletproof and Britbender like this.
  17. mrfett

ok just when i thought i knew what time it was i realize i'm totally lost lol

bulletproof and mdubya like this.
  18. chasenblues

There was some speculation that the guitar might have possibly been a Goldtop before the numerous burst refinishes.

19. mrfett

yeah no i got that, because of the brown pore filler in the output jack cavity, right? if it was a sunburst you'd just have the red aniline dye. So where did this new revelation come from, the shipping records? if so can someone guide my hand like a kindergartner because that's what i feel is necessary lol?

bulletproof likes this.
  20. eric ernest

Absolutely. It' s a pretty big deal establishing that the serial number is absolutely 100% incorrect.

Also, after giving it considerable thought, the guitar did most likely get the brown pore filler twice...pre-1976 and 1979'ish, that cant be discounted.

I might not have figured that out had Historic Makeovers not used brown pore filler themselves.

bulletproof likes this.