The Self Taught Guitarist's Survival Guide

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by mudfinger, Jul 16, 2010.

1. colchar

colchar Banned

Just wanted to offer my thanks again for Mud's efforts in this thread.

2. mudfinger

mudfinger Thanks for the memories! V.I.P. Member

Damn, been alot longer than I realized since I got sidetracked from this thread. :laugh2: Sorry for the long delay...

As soon as I figure out how work my newest gadget, we'll be back in business:

[​IMG]

Good times, good times. :D

3. colchar

colchar Banned

Looking forward to it - this is a great thread for newer players.

4. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

I guess I was lucky and "hit" just the right guys along the way. They taught me using Mel Bay and Alfred books, and piano music sheets and fake books but with a difference. I was taught that if you pick the right "inversion" or form of a chord, you can use the high note for the melody line, since people tend to hear that as the dominating note anyway.

Try it some time, with something simple, like Jingle Bells. Seriously.

Form a "cowboy chord" C and on the high E string, play the first few notes of the melody while letting the chord ring. See how that works? Change to an F chord and do the same thing for those melody notes in that bar. And so on. Congrats, you just did a jazz style chord solo ;)

What Sungha Jung is playing in that video, is the same basic thing. He is just a lot more advanced and so he can do more with it, but watch his left hand. It is chords, double stops (little chords) and tri-tones (little chords).

mudfinger likes this.
  5. Thermionik

Thermionik Not Fade Away Premium Member

Why
    did
    this
    never
    make
    it to
    status
    ??????

6 people like this.
  6. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

There is a lot of good stuff contained herein.

4 people like this.
  7. Ddavid

Ddavid Senior Member

:lol: Still reading the manual? :lol:

1 person likes this.
  8. mudfinger

Oh man.

I freakin' FORGOT about this thread. :laugh2:

In my defense, I've been going full-throttle out here for the duration. Mostly due to school, where I've been working on a degree for Jazz Vocal Performance. Right now, I'm putting alotta time into setting up gigs for the summer. Tilted Kilt in Long Beach on June 26th, for anyone who's interested.

I don't really have easy access to the Zoom or my camera right now, in between places. I wanted to show you guys exactly what I'm doing when I bend, it's much easier to get it right by watching than by trying to read through it.

That said, perhaps I should just carry on, and see if that doesn't do the trick. After hammer-ons, pull-offs, and bending, things get really interesting. :hmm:

2 people like this.
  9. LiveSimply

LiveSimply Senior Member

Always enjoyed having your perspective in the "lesson's" section, Mudfinger.

I hope you make it back to this sub-forum more often.

A bit outside of the intent of the thread, but I was wondering if your recent work in Jazz Vocal Performance has changed your guitar playing in any way? That is, do you see any changes in how melodic your phrasing is, or how you approach rhythmic accompaniment of a singer, etc.?

This sort of stuff always intrigues me.

1 person likes this.
  10. artis_xe

artis_xe Christopher Premium Member

very interested in any tips from you on bends into vibrato ~~~

1 person likes this.
  11. mudfinger

Thanks for the kind words. :)

I was kinda hoping I'd learn some secret chords myself, but, no dice. :laugh2: It's not a coincidence that I went back to playing Strats, though.

With a Strat in my hands, everything about my playing changes. When I play a Les Paul, I feel like I'm playing an electrified guitar. Good times, no doubt. But when I play a Strat, I feel like I'm painting with sound. My sound.

Has school changed my sound, the licks I play, the chords I use? No. But it did give me the insight I needed to understand how I was limiting myself in certain ways, and the confidence to take the leap of faith that was needed in order for me to reach my potential. :slash:

4 people like this.
  12. artis_xe

I have an idea. If I hold a 10 pound dumbell in the same potition that I would hold my guitar neck, and rock it back and forth, will this exercise the muscle groups that I would be relying on to have better control over my vibrato ?

It seems that the players that have the most control over their technique use the arm and wrist, not just the fingers.

2 people like this.
  13. mudfinger

I wouldn't bother with a dumbbell, that will only give you better control over the dumbell.

Bending strings isn't so much about strength as it is about leverage, using your hand in a certain way to give you the force needed to easily move the string from side to side across the fretboard.

I'm mulling over how to explain it without a video reference right now, but I can say, yeah, "it's all in the wrist". :thumb:

Well, almost. :laugh2:

14. LiveSimply

LiveSimply Senior Member

One thing I would also like to get your perspective on as it pertains to bending, Mud, is how you approach muting of the string directly above the string you are bending. I still have issues having unwanted sounds coming from those strings, particularly when I'm coming off of the bend.

Right now I'm experimenting with trying to mute them with my index finger of the fretting hand, but that seems to decline the leverage I need for my bends. I've tried to mute them with my palm, but half the time I do that I mute the string I want to ring out, so I stopped trying to do it with my right hand. I'm hopping one day the thing will just click for me, but it's a bit frustrating.

1 person likes this.
  15. artis_xe

no problems with bends at all. or even a nice vibrato. it is control over the vibrato after bending the string. I understand that a lot of players use the inside of their thumb as a fulcrum, and that method doesn't seem to be giving me much control.

the dumbell idea was trying to consider the possibility that a stronger forearm may give more control over motion.

1 person likes this.
  16. grim83

grim83 Senior Member

Thank you for this thread mud I to am a self taught type but I am struggling to learn any songs due to the melody issues others have asked about I can play kumbaya but can't play even simple songs like acdc

1 person likes this.
  17. artis_xe

Maria - Blondie

try something simple like this. maybe the heavy rock beat is throwing you.
    listen to it a few times on youtube, and then just start with singing the melody and single strum the chords in time.

1 person likes this.
  18. bamboozer

bamboozer Junior Member

My primary is piano/keys/organ, I started learning with my mother and then took lessons, later on years and years of lessons in classical/jazz/blues etc and have been playing out for 40 years. Guitar I just fool around with but have gotten serious about it. Guitar players are almost unique in their love of being self taught, most other instruments your going to have to search out a teacher or it's a very long, slow road to success. As noted you can find friends to help you along or for gospel there's the church. Finding a good teacher is difficult anywhere, if you can find one at all. Right now I'm advancing on my own and have several tons of knowledge about music thanks to my studies on piano, a big advantage but not as big as I had hoped. Right now I'm searching for a teacher to get me to the pro level, believe I'm on number four with no luck whatsoever. So I'll keep slogging along, looking for those Ah Ha!!! moments, looking around Youtube as well as books and DVD's. I know many pro guitar players and all illustrate the difference between a good teacher and a good player: They can all show me things, but none can really teach me how to do it.

1 person likes this.
  19. Gndarnoc

Gndarnoc Junior Member

Thanks for all of this Mudfinger, hope it's going well for you, sounds like you just went through a major step on the way.
    Living the self-taught survival way means searching through all the piles and piles of stuff that's out there for what you need right now and only you have the gut feel for what that is. Well, maybe the very best teachers can see that, too, and maybe sometimes another player you meet at a gig etc might see what would do you good.
    You search and search and you find, learn, and move on.
    I just found something that's helping me. I know, it's blindingly obvious and many of you will already have found it, but still - I'm finding good stuff in the video lessons and lesson notes on the Gibson site - search for Gibson Skills House and it's all free. I've been playing a long while (don't ask, please) and I'm not very good and it was well worth checking out the lessons for the very first steps and on up ( trying to weed out all the bad habits that maybe make my playing harder to make sound good).

Hope you have some more stuff for us Mudfinger, your view of it is great, another searchlight in the damp foggy night!

:):thumb:

1 person likes this.
  20. grim83

grim83 Senior Member

I tried to get that strumming pattern for maria figured out and had no luck...but I did sit down and watch Justin sandercoe's video for wild thing low and behold it finally clicked and I can play a song lol. Now I'm working on learning hurt amazing how his style of teaching just worked for me I had tried other vids and got no where. Any who a side note I moved all of muds posts (in relation to the topic) into a word file but its too big to post on here so once I can figure out where to host it I'll post it assuming mud is cool with that