The Reasons You Hear Guys Say It Doesn't Sound Real.

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by frankv, May 17, 2017.

1. carydad

carydad Senior Member

Been down the road with all the big modelers. GSP is my backup now. Sold off AXE/AXE2/Kemper, just couldnt justify it for my place in the music world. Atomic AF3 works well enough. I use it in two bands, different ways. One is FRFR because we mic the whole band every gig. Sort of a pain but the sound is consistent and volume level controllable. I am the only guitar in that band. Band #2 is a two guitar band. The other player has moved from a couple different tube heads to an 11R with quilter block for power. They play loud. Really loud. Working on that but in trying to get my Alto to keep up with them I blew the horn. So-now I use a 2x12 and a crate block for power. Works well enough. I like aspects of both and thanks to the flexibility of the AF3 I can do either or both at the same time for that matter. You can set the cab to different outputs.

As to cabs, you can spend countless hours messing with IRs. Some folks turn them off for an amp power rig. Some folks turn off power amp sims, though I don't. Some folks plug right into the front. Quilter recommends that to using the effects loop since you lose control of power and other issues I forget at the moment. I have a hartke bass amp I carry as a dual purpose backup. I've tried plugging into the front and loop of that and both work well enough. Depending on where your loop is inserted in the amp dictates what controls still work. For instance, on the Crate nothing works. Full power all the time-careful with that. On other amps, the, the master may work-reverb some times. On the mini recto some of the switches still worked as well. There is no right and wrong, the only correct answer is the answer that works for you. Or in my case, multiple answers depending on need.

jdto and frankv like this.
  2. jw3571

jw3571 Senior Member

The distortion sound i'm getting seems to happen when the led's are barely showing, like if you hold a note for a long time, as it fizzles out there seems to be some ugly distortion.

3. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

That sounds like channel noise, and noise gate kicking in. If the LEDs are barely lighting then your input signal is very low, and your signal to noise ration is as well, and that is not good. See my prior post about adjusting the input, in your case higher, till you get the green and even orange solidly lit.

KenG likes this.
  4. jw3571

jw3571 Senior Member

I'll give it a shot, thanks.

5. DotStudio

DotStudio Senior Member

For what it's worth, the same thing happens to me with my mic'd tube amp if I'm not paying attention to the input levels on my interface.