The Reasons You Hear Guys Say It Doesn't Sound Real.

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by frankv, May 17, 2017.

1. Sean D

Sean D Junior Member

I'm glad you're happy with the Helix. I have run the gambit with guitar rigs... Solid state amps, rack rigs, tube combos, hybrid tube/rack, stereo tube amp rigs, half stacks, full stacks, and half stacks in stereo. I have bought, sold and used top of the line gear from Marshall, Mesa, Eventide, Voodoo Labs, Gibson, ESP, Ibanez, Kiesel, and many others. They all scratched a particular itch very well and still left several itches unsatisfied. I was elated beyond measure with each acquisition and regret none of them... The AX8 (the Helix and Kemper would have been as well had I chose either of them) is still the best money I have spent bar-none. Every time I get an update from Fractal, I feel as though I just purchased a new piece of gear without the dent in the finances. All the itches are sufficiently satisfied. I have read and agree with the statement that my Amp G.A.S. is satiated.... I am excited at the prospect of being able to buy more and higher quality guitars.

jdto, mmd, Mindfrigg and 1 other person like this.
  2. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

And this too?

[​IMG]

jdto, bulletproof and Mindfrigg like this.
  3. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

^^^^^^^I like this guy....

jdto, mmd, Mindfrigg and 1 other person like this.
  4. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

Wow. Nice grinder. And what's in her hand looks cool too.

jdto and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  5. viking20

viking20 Senior Member

I have used ss amps for years and years without feeling I needed anything else , had Vox Xt 100 and Ad60- loved them.
    Im using SF and BF Fenders now , because I always wanted to own them , and I finally managed to buy them. Plus , I think using 40 or 50 year old amps are cool......if everyone used them , or they were giving them away , I would still love them.
    That said , I have nothing against modern technology , if it sounds good , it is good.........one of these days , I might just have to try some of this new stuff....
    Rock on !

Mindfrigg, Thumpalumpacus and frankv like this.
  6. frankv

You are in the beginning stages of change.. :)

jdto likes this.
  7. Dineley

Dineley Senior Member

I will be running my Helix through my guitar amp setup I am aware this isn't ideal, however my real desire for the technology is for recording, I will likely use it mostly as a recording rig through headphones and eventually some good studio monitors and then use it as an epic fx pedal for jamming out with my EVH maybe at some point I will go further down the FRFR route as I am aware that is the ideal method of using the tech but for now it will scratch all my itches as is.

Mindfrigg likes this.
  8. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

so essentially what he is saying is digital stuff is not as easy to use for recording purposes or digital uploads?

one thing I hate about digital stuff can be heard hear. almost like static at 1:15. also the high gain stuff sounds really zingy for lack of a better term.

also that was properly recorded (not sure how) but it was not recorded with camera mics.

9. jdto

jdto Pretend Human Premium Member

I'm still happy as a pig in excrement with my Amplifire through studio monitors. When I get my XiTone cab, I'll be set on that front. Then I can focus on my playing, because I'll be able to get all the amp sounds I need.

mdubya, AmpedUp and Mindfrigg like this.
  10. frankv

I am glad this thread got some traction.

AmpedUp and Mindfrigg like this.
  11. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

I get zero static like that with any of my modelers. Something is going on in his signal chain though, and it's obvious for sure. No denying that.
    However, only with my old V-Amp Pro Rack units do I get some weird digital artifacts every so often using very hi gain. But I like edge of breakup tones, so it doesn't affect anything I'm messing around with. YMMV.

12. cybermgk

He had some Signal clipping issues. User error. Also he was having serious hum issues, hurting his one all over.

As to recording and digital uploads, if he is he is dead wrong. If anything it is immensely easier to record with my Axe and even Kemper, Stupid easy.

mmd, jdto and Mindfrigg like this.
  13. NeubyWanKaneuby

NeubyWanKaneuby Senior Member

Interesting discussion with Devin Townsend about how he puts together his sound with Axe FX and Two Notes stuff.

cybermgk likes this.
  14. jw3571

jw3571 Senior Member

I get some of that distortion sound as well with my axe. I'm not sure what causes it.

15. dissaffected

dissaffected Senior Member

My son says he gets it on the Axe when he is using a ton of fuzz. I have never asked for the definition of a "ton" but he says it is there. I never had any issues when I owned/played it.

16. cybermgk

I only get it when I am clipping on input, or more usually on output (either at the mixer, or the speakers). Adjust the appropriate, and it goes bye bye.

kboman likes this.
  17. jw3571

jw3571 Senior Member

what exactly do you mean by clipping on input? Meaning you don't have the input knob turned up enough?

18. cybermgk

Incoming signal is too hot for the input amp A?D converter. Line level is generally too hot. If it is, the signal clips (overloads the A/D Converter) and you get unappealing artifacts in the signal. You can see it on the input LEDs. If your getting anything more than a slight, once in awhile tickle of the red LEDs the signal is too hot and it's clipping.

You can adjust the Input level on the Input page of the I/O page (Axe FX II). From the manual:

Setting Levels 3.1

For the Axe-Fx II to work properly, it is important that input and output levels be configured correctly.

INPUT LEVELS are set with "soft-knobs" on the INPUT page of the I/O menu. Adjust according to the level of input source material until "hot" signals "tickle" the red LEDs on the front panel INPUT meters. The red LED lights at -6 dB (below clipping). Some sources may not reach ideal levels but can still be used with no problems.

Changing input levels will NOT affect what you hear. Inputs are compensated, meaning that as you lower trims to optimize signal-to-noise ratio going into the converters, the output of the converters is adjusted inversely so "what you hear" (and what reaches the signal processor) always remains the same.

Each input has its own dedicated analog-to-digital converter. The input jack parallels the rear inputs for improved signal-to-noise performance.

DotStudio, frankv and Shai`tan like this.
  19. jw3571

jw3571 Senior Member

Got it thanks.

20. frankv

Well stated Tim...