The Pros & Cons of Celestion Greenbacks ???

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by BOBBO, Sep 21, 2009.

1. BOBBO

BOBBO Banned

I've been considering reloading my Marshall JCM800 combo with G12M25's Celestion Greenbacks in place of the G12M 70's that are in it now ... I know the Greenbacks compress quicker due to the lower wattage , I was also considering the Vintage 30's ??? But I'd like to hear opinions from those who have used a Greenback loaded cabinet before either with a Plexi or a JCM type Marshall :)

[​IMG]

2. hipofutura

hipofutura Senior Member

Well if you only want to hear from people who know what they're talking about I'll have to move onto another thread.:cool:

3. monroe

monroe Senior Member

The 70M is a fine sounding speaker (not to be confused with the 70T).
    The 25 watt greenback will of course make it easier to run the speakers near their limit, thus you'll hear more color from the speaker. Problem will be if you like to run that combo wound up tight... two 25-watt speakers (I'm guessing it's got two) in a 50-watt 800 won't live very long, and if you have a 100 watt combo (yikes) they'll not hold up long at all. Another option to consider if you like greenback tone is the G12-65. YMMV

4. xsouldriverx

xsouldriverx V.I.P. Member

low wattage sometimes cant be used if the ams wattage is too high

5. xsouldriverx

xsouldriverx V.I.P. Member

scumback makes higher watter greenback clones (65 and 100 watts i believe) you can also try two greenies with 2 v30s. the v30s will be more present but the greenbacks add a nice flavor.

6. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

This is what I have loaded in my JCM 800 2x12.

Excellent sounding speakers.

7. Deftone

Deftone Senior Member

One con might be expense. Warehouse speakers makes a clone called the "Green Beret" you might want to look into.

8. HogmanA

HogmanA Senior Member

I used a half stack loaded with 4 Celestion G12m25's for many years with mostly a laney klipp (100 watt valve head) head run near full volume with no problems.

however, both my usual heads needed servicing one time and I borrowed a 100 watt marshall head for a gig - I cant remember the model name but I know it was from 1971 and the bass response was huge and blew one of the greenbacks in the same cab.

9. Mikee57

Mikee57 Junior Member

I wouldn't be so worried about wattage. A 25 watt speaker is rated to handle 25 watts RMS continuously without blowing. Without the voice coil melting, the coil bottoming out, the the paper cone ripping, ect. Usually a guitar speaker failure is due to overheating. The speaker is the load. So take a 100w 2x12 combo with (2) 16 ohm speakers that equals 50 watts RMS power handling at 8 ohms if wired in parallel. Potentially the head can blow the speakers if ran at FULL volume for a prolonged period. Now the math using ohms law. 50 watts with a 8 ohm load = 20vac. NExt time you have a true RmS voltmeter crank up your head and measure the voltage. This can be right at the speaker terminals. At 25w output you would measure 14 volts. 50w would be 20v. Rarely is anyone driving their amplifier to full rated power and this simple test will reveal that. This goes for HIFI and PA systems too. Also 100w is only 3db louder them 50w. Double amplifier power does not double the volume - Geoff the Grey Geek
    Personally my 100w Marshall is so loud I run the master on about 2. Who out there runs their master volume on 10, seriously.
    Here's an ohms law calculator to test your theory. Ohms Law Calculator

10. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

Welcome to MLP!
    I think OP has been sorted out by now, as the post is from 2009 and he has "banned" under his name. ;)
    Personally, I like the safety of having twice the power-handling available in the cab as the advertised wattage of the amp. I have the same Marshall as Victor does and I'm loving a pair of WGS Vet 30's, rated at 60w each.
    Sometimes, when life gets me down, I most fvckin certainly dime that thing, and I do it for hours. It doesn't make my problems go away, per se, but at least I can't hear them for a few hours afterward. :D

4 people like this.
  11. Big John

Big John bigger is better V.I.P. Member

12. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

Trust me, the OP being banned was a good thing. :laugh2: