The Positive Grid Bias Thread

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by frankv, Mar 6, 2016.

1. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

You need to be able to change that buffer size to get the latency out. :(

2. Sournote

Sournote Senior Member

I figured it out. Once I changed the buffer size in Studio One's Control Pane,l I was able to get the latency in Bias down to a manageable level for Bias to work acceptably. :thumb:

Playing around with a few of the amp models to get the hang of it. Sounds decent so far for what I'm doing with it.

Just for kicks I may try running it through the mixer into my PA monitors or just see if I can borrow a couple of longer TRS cables to run from the Audiobox to the monitors to see what it sounds like at band volume.

I plan to play with it a while longer before deciding if its gonna be useful for me but I'm on the right track finally. The time suck is one of the things that puts me off modeling. I just suck at computer stuff so I can really get bogged down if stuff is not pretty intuitive.

I may pull the trigger on the software after we get home from Christmas va-kay.

3. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

That should not be normal, but exactly what happened to me. I think it is a software bug introduced more recently in the stand-alone software. Glad it worked! I was getting frustrated with computer issues and is why I ended up with an AX8. If not for that, I would have kept Bias and moved the laptop around. I think my issue is a USB power issue. With some time, I might have been able to work it out. I didn't figure out the pattern until AFTER I bought the AX8. Even playing YouTube videos, sometimes I lose audio and have to unplug/replug in my interface.

I do IT for a living (nearly 30 years), but always hated doing any kind of desktop support, and avoid it. I am a server guy...

4. Sournote

Sournote Senior Member

I noticed a similar issue with streaming video's. If is set the buffer for the lowest possible latency (1.some odd ms)videos would not play. I had to raise it a bit before they would stream properly, but not so high that BIAS had too much latency. I think I found a happy spot where I can stream a backing track and play through BIAS at the same time which is what will be useful for the undertaking I am taking on.

5. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

Uhmmmm....I had never thought about it that way. I figured that buffer setting was for the inputs of the interface itself. I'll have to mess with it to see if it helps.

6. Sournote

Sournote Senior Member

I have no idea why, unless the buffers work both ways and the small buffers size was causing an issue in the digital to analog converter on the way back to the speaker.

7. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

Hmmmm...I noticed an update is available and read this:

-If you're running Windows10 on PC, you should download 32bit for standalone mode and 64bit for plug-in mode in 64bit DAW.

I have just been installing the 64bit version, as I run Windows 10 64bit.

8. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Worth a look? I don't know, you decide.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJFchhy6TSw[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk2063KSJPU[/ame]

9. Jeremiah

Jeremiah The Worst Premium Member

yeah that was weird for me too, I reinstalled, I don't notice a difference. I will say this: I can use my Rocksmith cable to plug into Bias FX, but it doesn't work for Bias Amp for some reason. I called customer service and they were trying to say it was incompatible but if their other program accepts it, what gives?

So I'm left now with the option of tweaking in Amp and using the amp in FX. So I get to use my amps, but I lose the benefit of on-the-fly changes.

10. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

I would have thought that both software options would use the same software engine. Strange! I now have a 2i4 and haven't tried Bias with it to see if it is more stable. I know it just seemed to work better in a DAW. I'll report back when I do.

I like Bias and thought about getting the head, but when I learned about the AX8, it just gave me a lot more of what I was looking for, so I didn't look back.

11. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

The Rocksmith cable works for both. I seem to remember having to fiddle with the settings for one of them to get it to work, but I forget what I did. But you can get it to work.

12. Jeremiah

Jeremiah The Worst Premium Member

Rod would you mind posting a pic of your settings screen for both apps so I can compare?

13. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

I just got the Bias Amp software plugin and I'm really impressed. I'm running it with a MOTU UltraLite AVB interface and a Radial PZ-DI for the guitar input and it sounds really good. A bit bright on most amps, but I'm dialing in something I can work with. I'm still not sure I'm sold on it over Guitar Rig 5 but I think a bit more time twiddling with it and I'll warm up to it more. And the latency with this interface is really low. I've got the buffer down to 8k and it's managing it fine.

14. LeftyF2003

And then I tried the Boogie Mark IIc+. Holy F-ing S. I love this amp! I'm working on a fusion thing for a friend right now. Here's a quick dirty mix of a solo through this thing. For some stuff this is GREAT to have.

http://lakesideconsult.com/file_upload/fred/Mixes/Complicity%20guitar%20test-001.mp3

15. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

16. LeftyF2003

Thank you! The more I play around with this the more I like it. If there's just 2 amps in there that I like it's worth the $60.00. I should also see if I can download amps from the user page...

17. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

I only have the cheaper version of the software, so a lot of the "cloud" stuff is not available to me. :( What do you think of the "feel" of Bias? I think it is pretty good. I liked SGear a little better though. For the price of Bias, it is hard to go wrong. I would use it more, but Windows messes with me too often in the middle of playing. Windows 10 has too many scheduled tasks that don't need to be there for a responsible computer user. :mad2:

18. LeftyF2003

Yea. I like it a lot, especially that Boogie model. The clean Dumble is actually quite good too, and I need to try putting my pedal board into it and see how it does. The overall fell to me is excellent and I'm getting really low latency.

As to Win 10 I passed on the "upgrade" and I'm still quite happy on Win 7 64.

19. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

Keep 7. ;) I did a clean install of 10 when I got the SSD, I believe. Not worth the effort for me to go back now.

I am using Bias FX, mainly because I only have a couple of pedals left, and they are not very good. Should be interesting to hear what your result is.

20. skysc

skysc Senior Member

Sorry about my average english but can anyone translate this

5. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY.

If the Software does not perform substantially in accordance with the applicable documentation within 30 days of Licensee’s purchase , liability is limited to refund of Licensee’s purchase price for the Software (without interest)

Does that mean i can get a refund if i purchase Bias amp Professionnal 9 days ago ???

Let's hope .. im waiting to hear from Positive Grid .

Last time i try software amp/sim ... this is the final nail in the coffin for me .

*** Software amp is like PC gaming IMO ... there's always something that goes wrong . Either a bad DLL , a problem setting the controller , an overheating cpu , random crash etc.. Everytime i tried to install something it always crash or in that case sound like **** .

That's why i love my playstation .. put the disk in and play .. I think i was made for that approach for guitar playing

I guess i'll stick to a traditional amp with pedals .

too bad because i'm sure the BIas FX has a very good potential from what i hear on youtube .

Very nice sound in the Tone cloud by Lambchopper , Ola Englund etc . When i downloaded the patches , the hissing sound was horrible .. i couldnt even hear a note no matter how much noise reduction i used .

But right now .. my 30 $ VOx amplug metal sound like a 4000 $ amp vs Bias FX .