The Positive Grid Bias Thread

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by frankv, Mar 6, 2016.

1. jimmer_5

jimmer_5 Senior Member

Hey all,

I have been reading this thread, and it sounds like I have a LOT to learn, but I am thinking about picking up the Bias Amp Desktop software. What I want to know is, is it worth it to get the Pro version ($159) vs the Desktop version? Do I get more amp models with pro, or just the amp matching software?

2. TP6

TP6 Senior Member

There are 2 different versions of Bias. FX and Amp. With the pro version of Bias FX you get the basic amp models and effects from Bias FX as well as extra amps and cabs (and some compressors EQs) but you don't get tone matching. With the regular version you get what was basically on the app version. You can also set up different rigs and chains in Bias FX (like running a 2 amp setup) which you can't do in Bias amp. You can also IIRC download tone matched amps from the tonecloud as well.

Bias AMP desktop is 100 percent focused on amps and has no effects but you get the tone matching feature. The regular version of this probably isn't worth it cause the only reason why I like amp over FX is tone matching.

If you're looking at getting a program that does everything in one, Bias FX is probably the better choice. You have access to a ton of amps and effects as well as user uploaded ones to mess around with. It's pretty much plug and play in that regard so it's pretty decent for people getting into it (as well as having extra tweakability once you figure out the software and how it works). The pro version has extra amps and stuff but if you think you can make due with the original 12, its a great deal.

If you're somebody that is doing more recording stuff and you are using high quality standalone effects already you might prefer Bias AMP. Personally I like AMP better because I also mic live amps so BIAS is a really useful tool in that regard because I can just use BIAS amp to copy the live tones I really like and then I don't have to worry about setting amps up again to try to replicate that tone, I literally just load up BIAS and open the preset.

But yeah so TL : DR if you think the tone matching feature is something useful that you will use, then AMP is probably the way to go if you have another way to get effects etc... If you're just looking for a program to make guitar tones and you don't really care/want tone matching then FX is probably the better deal. As for pro vs standard, it really depends on if you think you'll need the extra amps and effects. Personally I don't think I need the studio delays/eq/compressors and extra amps they offer so I would just get the regular one if I didn't have AMP already.

Really though I would probably say most people would probaby just need BIAS FX. BIAS amp is just for the geeks like me! :laugh2:

3. jimmer_5

jimmer_5 Senior Member

Wow, TP6, thanks for the detailed explanation. I am not a huge effects guy, and I do really like the amp matching feature. I might use a little reverb, maybe a delay, but that's most of it for my typical sound.

However, the other feature that really interests me is being able to build custom amp models by tweaking components - does Bias FX do this, or is that only a Bias AMP feature?

Finally, if I eventually get both Amp and FX, do they play well together? In other words, do they interface well, or do you still end up using them individually?

4. TP6

TP6 Senior Member

IIRC only AMP lets you tweak the amps but I could be wrong on that. You can however, still download tones people make and tweaks people make in AMP and use it within Bias FX though from what I understand.

IIRC, if you get them both they are made to work together. You can tweak your amp the way you like it within BIAS amp and then once you're done with it, you can transfer it to FX so you can use it within a full chain with your choruses, delays, comps, verbs etc... So you are technically using them individually but they work together after everything is said and done.

5. jimmer_5

jimmer_5 Senior Member

Awesome -thank you so much. Last question, and I will shut up. For a guy with simple tastes for effects, could I make do with the cheap version of Bias FX, or does the Pro version offer superior functionality?

6. TP6

TP6 Senior Member

If you're asking me personally, I would rather just get the basic version because there are other options (free and paid) out there that are pretty decent for FX IMO. For instance, the Tortuga Audio Line of effects are really good and a lot of them are free (in fact, I still use some of their plugins in conjunction with my pay stuff). Waves and other companies also tend to have a lot of sales so I tend to prefer that route if we are talking FX.

If you don't really want to take the time to go searching for individual effects that suite your needs then the Pro version might be worth it but I would wait until its on sale. PG has sales pretty often and IIRC you can score the pro versions for 69-79 bucks quite often.

7. jimmer_5

jimmer_5 Senior Member

Thanks again - yeah, I am just trying to get opinions. I think the PRo Amp software will be the one for me, and maybe I'll add the cheap FX package. Just knowing they go on deeper discount is hugely helpful by itself. I checked on Black Friday, and they were still running the normal "sale" price of $159 for the Pro versions.

8. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3poUnIxsyk[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgoS2lZ6q1g[/ame]

Bias....Worth the entry price? HellYeah

And here I post the REAL THING.. EVH 5150. Think dudes..

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYVWHAviVWQ[/ame]

9. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

I'd like to add also, that I was getting intermittent pops/cracks and thought it might have been Bias. Come to find out that even my AX8 plugged into my interface is doing this, without using any computer added effects. Turns out it is a USB issue... I switched to a different port, and it has not returned. Not sure if my Focusrite 2i2 is sensitive (USB powered) or my laptop. My laptop had more than enough CPU power to run the software. The interface is so important to the whole experience of "feeling" it, so get a good one! This software is great.

10. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

It is great software.. and getting better.

11. jdto

jdto Pretend Human Premium Member

I quite enjoy it on my iPad with headphones.

12. frankv

How is the latency on an ipad?

13. dissaffected

dissaffected Senior Member

My son has the full suite of Bias products. He has many amps tone matched. Generally if I closed my eyes and listen I probably cannot tell the difference. The tuber in me would like to think I can when played side by side but I am not so sure. Having said that there are couple of amps the Bias has trouble with, in particular my son's Vox ac15. Trouble merely meaning the match is off kilter a bit. I wonder why that happens with a particular amp.

14. frankv

I'm not surprised the Bias Rig matched so well. I guess there is no issues with latency .

15. jdto

jdto Pretend Human Premium Member

I play through an iRig Pro on my iPad and I don't notice any latency.

16. Sournote

Sournote Senior Member

So I gave the demo a try. I'm running it on a desktop with a pretty fast processor but the latency is pretty unacceptable. I'm not sure what I think about the tone because its

I'm running through an Audiobox v22 and downloaded the latest drivers.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong or is my computer just too slow?

17. AllTheSound

AllTheSound Premium Member

Make sure in in Bias > Settings > Audio Settings that Audio device type is set to ASIO and device is set to your Audiobox.

18. Sournote

Sournote Senior Member

Yep. That's how I had it set to get any sound at all. The tone through the headset is ok, but fairly funky using the monitors.

Trying to play along with a backing track running on the same machine is problematic due to the latency.

19. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

Do you see anywhere where it tells you the latency in ms??? In audio settings you should see the below. If you have more than a few ms, it is not fun. I found that I had to go into my DAW (Reaper) to get my latency options below 10ms, after a release came out a month or so ago. No options under 10ms showed up in Bias, which never happened before. After I made the change, they showed up in Bias normally again.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. Sournote

Sournote Senior Member

I saw that screen but didn't have the option to change some of those settings.

I had the option of a higher sample rate, but wasn't able to change the buffer size.

I'll have to look at my DAW (Studio One) and see if I change it there if it affects the Bias software.