The Positive Grid Bias Thread

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by frankv, Mar 6, 2016.

1. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Gonna be watching this company real close.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DoSPm7TN5I[/ame]

SG_Lefty, Shai`tan, Case24 and 3 others like this.
  2. {JAKE}

{JAKE} Senior Member

I'm really interested in this BIAS Head that they have come out with. I've been using the BIAS app on my IPad for a while now, and I am pretty impressed with it. If the head sounds at least as good as the app (I imagine probably even better), then I am sure it will be a hit.

I am looking to make the step up into the world of higher end modeling, since cranking a tube amp is not really practical for me. Especially after I have discovered IR sims and such (I currently use Redwirez impulses with Thermionik amp sims), and I like the idea that you can use third party IR's with some of these new high end modeling platforms.

3 people like this.
  3. frankv

Yep, me too. I love the package that head presents but for me it's the program in a Panasonic Toughbook. I'll start off with it in my ThinkPad.

4. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Hey Frank: are any of these modeling companies publicly traded? I do think that you are correct in that the market is only going to grow.

As a proud capitalist, I'd like to get in on some of that growth.

2 people like this.
  5. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

Yep. I currently use Bias Amp, Bias FX, Bias Pedal, and Jamup Pro on an Ipad. I don't play out so for me an actual hardware amp would be redundant. I just use a slave amp and monitors.
    Bias Pedal is way-cool if you haven't tryed it. Same philosophy as the Bias Amp but with distortion/overdrive. It's awesome to design your own pedal. Many variables to choose from.

The advantage of the actual amp would be zero latency and no problem with memory. I would love that for sure.

2 people like this.
  6. frankv

Yeah, I am excited about that. I am putting Bias in my Thinkpad for now until I can score a deal on a Toughbook. Then I am going to get a 1 12 powered wedge from XItone and have the ultimate portable rig.

7. frankv

I don't know that Roland.. But it's logical that this stuff is not going away and is not a passing fad. Not by a long shot.

I firmly believe that the Laptop running a program can and will replace all amp "hardware" including my AXE FX... If it has not already done that now.

Footswitches can simply be a USB connection.. Including speaker cabinets.

1 person likes this.
  8. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

You should take a look at Bias Pedal Franky. It's way cool as an overdrive lab. I've had to bump it off my Ipad for now as I have too many apps running at once. But designing your pedal then using it in Bias Efx is the most fun you can have with your pants on.

The fact that these things are learning tools shouldn't be underestimated. You can investigate the characteristics of SS components (selenium etc) as well as tubes and get a better understanding of what the various properties are/do. And really, dirt cheap in an Ipad format. The main problem I run into is memory on The Ipad.

The problem with hardware so far is...it's not upgradeable in most cases. Soft-synthesis for example has long replaced my hardware synths in my studio. As it gets better you simply upgrade as long as your processor can handle it. Looks as if guitar applications may be going that way too.

Still...there's the romance of hardware. It's sexier to most people.

Oh. As far as actual 'pedal' controllers go...I use a Behringer istudio as an Ipad dock and it has footswitch and wah/volume controller inputs. Plus usb midi and standard midi i/o...XLR and line in..line out..composite video out...it's great.

2 people like this.
  9. frankv

I am my friend.. and in a big way.. Going to get that stuff setup on my thinkpad for now.. Should have everything setup by the weekend.

What else do I need?

1 person likes this.
  10. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

Well..don't know what you 'need'. But I find those programs I mentioned make an pretty comprehensive guitar suite/workstation. I also use the MIDI Guitar II app. It's amazing. Without a hex pickup it somehow reads polyphonic input and translates to midi fairly accurately. Then I control Mellotron, Hammond, Moog Animoog and Filtertron, Alchemy..etc. apps.
    I also have a Roland Gi10 and GM70 midi converters, but the ap is much more convenient if slightly less reliable. Controlling string pads with your guitar increases the jizz factor considerably. Court of The Crimson King is too much fun. :laugh2:

Crystalline is a reverb app that is also awesome. Very lush.

You'll also need Audiobus to get these things to line up in a signal chain. I use Mobile Pod as well, but the distortion/overdrive pedals are minimal there. So the Bias Pedal app expands the usefulness of that app considerably.

11. frankv

OmG.. I got lots to learn in this arena... Thank you

2 people like this.
  12. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

NO, certainly NOT a passing fad by any means. And as the demand catches on, you are going to see consolidation as well as the "big boys" increasingly enter the market.

3 people like this.
  13. frankv

The fact is the consumers are driving this. You see it in Marshall. Why make a 50 and 100 watt CODE if they weren't seeing a need in the pro level market

3 people like this.
  14. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

Nah. You're a sharp fellow.:)

However...you know there's always a bit of a frustration factor with new and unfamiliar formats. And then there are expectations. When it all works smoothly it's pretty amazing.

But then stuff crops up of course. I had some conflicts with my OS (7) and Jamup Pro for a couple of weeks. It was maddening. Finally upgraded to OS 9 despite my reservations...worked fine.

1 person likes this.
  15. frankv

Thanks for that. I'm not worried about the technical aspect of it. More the what program for what purpose. You rattled off a half dozen I never hear of.. hahahah

1 person likes this.
  16. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

Forget what I said about midi and keyboards then for starters. If you have Bias Amp you will probably want Bias Efx and Bias Pedal. That will cover a massive amount of guitar related territory.

http://www.positivegrid.com/bias-pedal/

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

Oh wait. Also Jamup Pro. It stores all your Bias Amp models and includes an 8 track recorder. That kind of completes it. So then...

Bias Amp

Jamup Pro

Bias Efx

Bias Pedal. In that order.

Maybe Jamup Pro first actually as it has many amp models already also others you can buy either individually or in sets (clean, metal, crunch etc) also many pedals. Then Bias Amp allows you to create from scratch or modify the architecture radically. Also there's BIas Desktop (Amp) that allows amp matching. You can record your fav amps and it matches the output. Or download other users amps that they have analyzed and uploaded.
    Brave New World!

3 people like this.
  18. frankv

Exciting new world as well.. I'm in. I was going to get an Amplifire but this approach seems much better to me for a portable rig.

1 person likes this.
  19. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

The Amplifire looks very cool. Simply beyond my means at the moment. I already have too many redundant systems anyway. Plus..I've been burned many times by jumping in hardware wise only to have it become outdated within a year by a major revamp by the company, or another company developing along a similar path trumps it.
    I think it's a good cautious approach. I have no advice or caveats as far as live applications. Maybe others will. I'd like to hear some input on that if others are currently using an Ipad or laptop live. I currently have no plans to do anything live but you never know.

Then again you have to think about backup. If you use the hardware system the Ipad makes an excellent backup for all your stuff. Just stuffed into a carryall or something. TheIstudio is plastic and not very durable feeling to me but really turns your Ipad into a pro workstation. It can mount on a mic or music stand.

It's important to remember that live you won't need all those apps running concurrently. That's for designing. Once you've got your presets tweaked you're using it as an amp/efx processor only unless it's also playing back your accompaniment. Then bottlenecks aren't a problem. More memory is better though. And I would dedicate the Ipad to that function only.

Don't want to get too enthusiastic here. You might not like it all:laugh2:!

1 person likes this.
  20. frankv

Hey man. No worries. I get it. I have the AXE FX for my main stay.. I'm looking at this stuff for a quick down and dirty portable rig I can move around pretty easy. Seems perfect for me in that role. :thumb:

2 people like this.