The Phaez Informational Thread! With Clips Galore!

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Tuya Customs, Feb 20, 2011.

1. rocknhorse1

rocknhorse1 Senior Member

The first vid is an older 14 watt Daisycutter. It definitely has a bit of a different voice than the JTM amp. This is all just how I personally perceive it, and if I put myself in your position.
    There is a big enough difference to own both, I would
    Having said that, I am not chomping at the bit. I think neither can do exactly what the other can do, but they do different things in the same "realm". I hope that makes sense. Probably didn't answer your question exactly. I wouldn't mind owning both, even though they are close. There are other places I would go with my collection first though, and that may be closer to what I have now than a Daisycutter!:laugh2:
    Anyway, maybe if you watch these vids all together,maybe you will hear what you need to, either way.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq8uLzjF-7M]Phaez Daisycutter 14 watt - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rE6zrpJT-k]Phaez 14 Watt Daisycutter #2 - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4L2UKRwHzE]Phaez 14 Watt Daisycutter #3 - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um61bVzAdb8]Phaez 14 Watt Daisycutter #4 - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT04aKjNZlA]Phaez JTM-18 Amp Demo 1 - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh4pa4WwAc0]Phaez JTM18 Amp Demo 2 - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUjF6bXkF2Y]Phaez JTM 18 - Drop "D" - YouTube[/ame]

4 people like this.
  2. onioner

onioner Senior Member

For reference, I'm trying to decide if it's silly to own a 5W DC, the DC10, and a SIBLY. I'll probably settle for two out of three...

3. 99light

99light Senior Member

One mans silly, is another mans guilty pleasure!

4. onioner

onioner Senior Member

Shoot. You said it. Truth be told, the Daisycutter aint even 'my style' of amplifier. I'll most likely never use it in any practical endeavor. I just use it to wank off. The thing just plays so great. It's gotten me into all kinds of music that I used to shrug off. I'm learning Zep songs just 'cause they sound so good played through this amp. Generally speaking, I'm not really a Classic Rock kind of guy, but this amp is doin' it's best to change that. Slowly but surely...

I just figure that maybe one day, in like a decade or two, I'll find myself in a position where the only viable option I have to play in a group is to do the classic rock cover thing. If that happens, I'm gonna want a SIBLY. It's kinda like insurance, but much more valuable.

Yup.

5. Matty

Matty Senior Member

:thumb::dude::applause::dude::D:dude:
    Yes they do!!!!

6. V2

V2 V.I.P. Member

Instead of having both the DC5 and DC10, why not have a triode-pentode switch on your DC10 to cut some power and change the tone a bit? It will still be loud, but it might cover enough ground for you to put your money elsewhere.

Not sure if Randy would do a triode-pentode switch tho...

Edit: And I like the clip of the MLP35 best of all of these amps!

7. onioner

onioner Senior Member

it's more a matter of irrational attachment. There's really no way I can justify both the 5W and the 10W, especially when the 10W can take most any tube. Realistically it aint gonna happen, but I'm just sayin', if I could, I'd like both... Do I need both? Nope. I don't even need one.

8. Mike-t

Mike-t Senior Member

Thank you for this!! The videos one right after another definitely emphasized what I thought I was hearing, the Daisycutter is much more modern sounding than the JTM.

If I would have had a choice between these two amps in the very beginning I would have definitely gone the JTM route because that is more of the sound in my head. With that being said, I'm glad things turned out the way they did because I'm very happy with the Daisycutter and it will be with me as long as I play guitar. I also think it is the first 18 Watt DC which is pretty cool.

Long story short, I think I am going to sell a few things and pick up a JTM 25 to add to the collection :D.

1 person likes this.
  9. rocknhorse1

Mike, the JTM in the vid is with EL84's and is 18 watts. It's not on his website, but you can get them. Personally, I like the EL84's.

10. Mike-t

Mike-t Senior Member

Good point! I may have ended up with something completely different :shock: . I'll just contact him and see what it would take to get one like yours...

Although part of me wants to start asking about how yours would compare to the JTM 25 on the website but since I like what I'm hearing in your videos then why muddy the waters with speculation.

11. rocknhorse1

I haven't played a 6V6 JTM 25. I got the EL84's because I wanted an early breakup, and a very Marshall sound.

12. Mike-t

Mike-t Senior Member

Which is what I'm looking for as well. :D

1 person likes this.
  13. DrakeZero

DrakeZero Senior Member

I have a JTM25, and based on what I hear from my amp compared to Rock's JTM18 is that the 25 has a more rounded tone, and isn't as aggressive as the JTM18 when it comes to high gain. It also has slightly more headroom which really helps when you turn the guitar vol down and get some nice marshall cleans.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. But IMO the JTM18 is more richer gain while the JTM25 is smoother.

I recently took the amp to Austin's house (aka DADGAD) to hang out and compare it to a 1959SLP HW plexi he has. The plexi was awesome, but the JTM25 held it's own in a A/B matching.

14. Mike-t

Mike-t Senior Member

Ordered! :D Randy also said that he probably will be adding this amp to his website.

3 people like this.
  15. alexb17

alexb17 MLP Vendor

nice dude!

16. Mr_Wormwood

Mr_Wormwood Senior Member

Darn I was going to ask you if you wanted to trade my DC 18 for your Sibly so you could round out your DC collection.

17. onioner

onioner Senior Member

I aint got a SIBLY, yet...

18. Asdain

Asdain Senior Member

grrr.. damn you phaez promoters,.. now i got GAS for a Daisycutter 18 and a JTM 25 >.<

19. LPV

LPV Senior Member

DC 18 and its new buddy

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  20. Mike-t

Mike-t Senior Member

Just remember that the JTM 25 and the JTM 18 are different amps, if you are using Rocknhorse1's videos for reference.