The Peter Frampton Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by Midnight Blues, Dec 17, 2011.

1. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

No, it wasn't me? Call me odd, but I actually thought 'I'm In You' was/is a great album (there, I said it), though I agree with most people/critics when they said that it was "severley over-hyped! I have it, complete with the original Friends Of Frampton Fan Club (of which I was a member from '99-'01) catalogue!:thumb:

I used to have the original 'Rockin' the Filmore' too, but it got destroyed when the ceiling of my grandmother's garage caved in, back in the mid '90s.:(

2. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Premium Member

I still have all my original LPs of his (until they started coming out on CD of course). I guess it wasn't that bad really, but I was expecting something a little more like "Frampton" I guess. The cover was really emblematic of the times. I think it was a little earlier, but Rick Derringer put out an album "Spring Fever" (which I have), where he looks very feminine (not that there's anything wrong with that - Seinfeldian slip) very much like the cover of an album that Judy Collins had released.

Back to Frampton though, that whole "Pop Star" thing did him in. He worked so hard to prove that he was a great guitarist/musician then it happened and he had to start over from scratch.

Davio, dtodd and rockstar232007 like this.
  3. b3john

b3john Senior Member

I remember reading once how Bill Graham (the concert promoter) had personally called PF after the "I'm In You" album came out, cursing at him that he'd just ruined his career. It's a shame that PF didn't get that advice earlier or, if he had, that he didn't heed it.

4. Midnight Blues

Really. It's a (Plain) shame really. He was still relatively young and I'm sure the A&M was putting pressure on him so the could take advantage of his popularity. That plus getting poor advice from the people that he surrounded himself with. I'm sure he thought he was doing the right thing and I'd guess in hindsight, he would have done things differently. Fortunately, he is like a fighter that gets knocked to the canvas and gets back up again.

Thanks for the post John!

:cheers:

b3john likes this.
  5. toneguy86

toneguy86 V.I.P. Member

I saw the I'm in You tour and it was strange...not really any songs played from that particular record until the final encore and then Peter came bounding out and sang I'm in You to a backing track. It was pretty hideous...but the rest of the show was amazing.

I think I was the guy actually that people were amazed when they heard I was a fan. I remember being ridiculed after telling some guy that actually. Stone, dyed in the wool blues nazis can be brutal. :)

Other interesting things about Peter that crop up--he's vegitarian and he has a rider in his contract (at least he did 4 years ago) preventing vendors at his shows from selling alcohol--although his management does bend a bit on this this, especially if the vendors are non profits. It is something that promotors bitch about though.

Midnight Blues likes this.
  6. Midnight Blues

My apologies tg, it was you. Well, we can commiserate with one another then because I experienced the same thing. Not so much pre "I'm In You", but certainly afterwards. Didn't matter though. I remained a fan and still am today needless to say.

Interesting factoid on his contract. I would suspect that it has something to do with his past and his promotion of sobriety than just the rowdiness of the fans, for which I applaud him. Of course, I would venture to guess that a majority of his fans are in their 40s, 50s, some 60s as well and speaking for myself, I know I'm partied-out! :laugh2:

Thanks for the post!!!!

D-POLAND likes this.
  7. toneguy86

toneguy86 V.I.P. Member

I think it is likely that it has to do with his past excesses although I can tell you it caught the promotors of our local fest by surprise, especially since he had worked out some deal with either our local school foundation or something like that so they got a percentage of beer sales. Which seems odd...but there was a lot of strange deals and politics leading to approval to do this particular show anyway...so lots of crazy things were happening. The promotor was talking to me about some of this stuff because he was trying to get an in and become the manager of a band I was playing in...long story.

A funny story related to all of this is that, in the small town I live in, a rumor started that Peter and his band were going to be staying at my house when they were in town and that somehow I even knew Frampton. It is odd when you're the only recognized musician in a small town like this and an event of this magnatude happens.

8. Midnight Blues

Pretty cool though that you're recognized as such. Has to be pretty gratifying to know that people enjoy what you do?

Thanks for sharing the story tg!

9. toneguy86

toneguy86 V.I.P. Member

It's kinda strange to be honest. Small towns are great in some ways and really odd in others. Sometimes people are awed by things that really aren't that exceptional.

10. Midnight Blues

That is true, but exceptional can be relative. As musicians (I tend not to refer to myself as one however), just like athletes, we're always our worst critics. We could have "sang that better", or "played that song better", etc. We're never good enough.

11. toneguy86

toneguy86 V.I.P. Member

Exactly. I am horrible about doing crap like that.

12. Midnight Blues

:thumb: although I may just be horrible period! :laugh2:

weirdotis likes this.
  13. tmb1958

tmb1958 Senior Member

if you skip i'm in you that album has some pretty good stuff on it. i keep mine in a brown paper bag so i don't have to look at that cover.
    camel and frampton are both prime examples of how tastefully that guy could play.

14. Midnight Blues

Thanks for the post TMB!

I agree, those are two great albums. Of course, I liked "Wind of Change" and "Something's Happening" as well. Have you listened to any of his new stuff, like "Now" and "Thank You Mr. Churchill" for example?

To me, there's no one out there that plays like him. I'd really like to know how he thinks musically.

15. Midnight Blues

[ame= Frampton - PBS Soundstage - 02 - Lies - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    LIBERTYMACHINE likes this.
  16. b3john

b3john Senior Member

Over on the '54 Custom thread, 'hatter mentioned his guitar tech did some work on PF 001 for Peter Frampton. Pics:

:applause:

I want my own PF LPC in the worst way.

17. zendriveseven

zendriveseven Senior Member

Posted from another site and also in another thread on MLP too. I thought I'd share it here as well. I wrote a mini review of the FCA35 show at the Count Basie Theater in Redbank, NJ. It was copied and pasted on Peter's Facebook page, and he actually joined the site and responded! I did my best to identify his gear from 25 rows back, and as you will read, I got quite a few things wrong. A truly humbling experience, but it was great getting it from Peter himself.

I've seen him quite a few times through the years and always saw the Leslie on stage, but didn't see in on the FCA show. I foolishly assumed it was replaced by a pedal.

Also, Adam Lester played quite a few guitars that night, but his Deusenburg Starplayer TV Goldtop stood out. Tone to die for, that guitar is on my bucket list.

Lastly, I'm really enjoying every response to this great thread! Some excellent videos too! Thanks for sharing!

[​IMG] Thanks for the great review !
    I am speaking on behalf of myself and my band and we really appreciate the fact that your review of the show was just like it happened. So many reviews of shows are written as if the writer was at a different show! Many thanks for that..

But I thought I would give you some gear corrections for you and everyone out there reading your posts.

Firstly, I always use a real Leslie spkr cab. It is mic'd off stage and I hear it through my in ear monitors and you hear it through the PA. Alas, my, "Ampeg Echo Twin", amps were all lost in the Nashville flood. I am now using a 1965 Black Face Fender Deluxe that has had the "Ultra-Phonix" modification done by Alexander Dumble. It's a wonderful sounding amp and works with my 100 watt Marshall beautifully.

Adam Lester, my wing man on 2nd guitar, is a masterful player who I enjoy playing with every night. His gear is not quite as you thought though. He is using an Orange head through a Vox 2 x 12" cab and a 1973 100watt Marshall through an Orange 4 x 12".

The Tweed Fender Deluxe Reissue you saw, stage right, is what Rob Arthur uses when he plays electric gtr. It's a very good likeness to an original and it is loaded with a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker.

Sorry, I didn't mean to go on this much but when gear is concerned it's very hard to shut me up. lol

Thanks again,
    Peter Frampton

18. Midnight Blues

Great pic John, thanks for posting it! That guitar is just absolutely GORGEOUS!!!! I absolutely love mine!!!! There are a few out on e-bay right now that are in very nice shape

Thanks zen, this is such a cool story!!!! I remember reading it on the other thread you posted it on and I'm glad that you decided to repost it here!

I'll be going to see him in February, which will be my fourth time. since the early '70s. The first time I saw him was a little while before FCA was released. It was a three act bill where Peter was the first act, followed by (if I remember right?) The Southerland Brothers and Quiver, the ZZ Top. I was there to see Frampton of course and the one thing that I clearly remember was just how loud ZZ Top was!!!! I was still in my teens then and an avid concert goer, who also happened to have a 100W Marshall SLP full stack and for me to say that band was loud, believe me, they had to be loud!!!! :laugh2:

Thanks for the contributions you guys!!!!

zendriveseven likes this.
  19. toneguy86

toneguy86 V.I.P. Member

Great story. I was right near the front the last time I saw Peter and had binoculars as well so I surveyed his gear pretty closely. On this tour at least it was a amazing what a huge rig he had. There were literally 3 rows of amps, heads and outboard effects all facing each other with small hallways in between. Audley Freed was his second guitar player just had a small deluxe reissue and an old Firebird guitar. Rob never played electric--only keys and acoustic--on this show.

Either way it was tone heaven. The incredible sound in every position and with every change was just unbelievable. I'm sure he is really a detailed guy on this stuff...maybe even a tad over the top given the extensiveness of the rig...but it was pretty unbelievable at any rate.

Thanks for the post...

20. Midnight Blues

He absolutely is tg and he's a self-proclaimed gear nut as well.

Thanks for the post!