The Peter Frampton Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by Midnight Blues, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Premium Member

Didn't see one and I hope there isn't one out there already (apologies if that's the case), but thought I'd start this for those of us on MLPF that are Frampton fans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Frampton LP (PF 654):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of my favorite songs he wrote (albeit with Humble Pie):

[ame= And Water Song - Humble Pie - YouTube[/ame]

In keeping with the Humble Pie theme:

[ame= Frampton "Shine On" Steve Marriott AMC 2001 - YouTube[/ame]

A few other all-time favorites:

[ame= Frampton: Wind Of Change (Chicago 2006) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame= FRAMPTON[/ame]

[ame= Frampton-"Penny for your Thoughts"-Acoustic Solo-2007 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGCBhmzPD9E&feature=fvsr]PETER FRAMPTON - I'll Give You Money - Turbinenhalle Oberhausen 18 mar 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QLJr4tjw_w]Peter Frampton 1975 Nowhere's Too Far For My Baby - YouTube[/ame]

And of course...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7rFYbMhcG8[/ame]

Now for some comic relief:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR_Bjf-a5rs&feature=related]Peter Frampton Geico Commercial - YouTube[/ame]

Contributions of any kind are appreciated.

:cheers:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    Who, krauthammer, SG_Lefty and 25 others like this.
  2. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

I'll contribute a couple of things later on, but for now, it's past my bed time.

Thanks, MB!:thumb:

LIBERTYMACHINE likes this.
  3. Deguello

Deguello Senior Member

I look forward to this thread. The other Frampton thread sparked a interest in his solo career. I already knew Humble Pie is great.

4. Midnight Blues

Thanks rockstar, sleep well!!!!

Thanks "D" and I agree, Humble Pie was quite the band.

5. Midnight Blues

Apparently I wasn't looking hard enough, but I finally stumbled across the tuning for "Wind of Change" it's DDDADF# (L-H).

For those of you that don't know, "Penny For Your Thoughts" is: DGDGBD (L-H) and for "All I Want To Be (Is by Your Side)": EADGBD (L-H).

6. Midnight Blues

[ame= Frampton - Guitars, Amps and Effects - YouTube[/ame]

[ame= Center Sessions: Peter Frampton- The Beginning - YouTube[/ame]

[ame= Center Sessions: Peter Frampton- Gear - YouTube[/ame]

[ame= Center Sessions: Peter Frampton- Talk Box - YouTube[/ame]

[ame= Gear Tour: Peter Frampton - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHX_fNHg6i8]Peter Frampton: "The Talk Box" Guitar Center Sessions on DIRECTV - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  7. Northwinds

Northwinds Senior Member

Frampton Comes Alive should be in every guitar players collection :dude:

He had such a HUGE sound live best played at max on your stereo (if you speakers could take it :laugh2:)

BOWHUNTER, buddhuu, Lowdown and 3 others like this.
  8. Midnight Blues

Without a doubt Northwinds!!!! His tone was and still is phenomenal!!!! Don't if you did, but check out the video I posted of "Shine On" and listen to his tone.

Thanks for contributing!!!!

9. toneguy86

toneguy86 V.I.P. Member

Love Peter and have for years. Was a huge fan and saw him a few times. A bass player in one of my bands used to play with his current keyboard player and the word is he's great to work for actually. The last time saw Peter was actually in the town park of my very small northern WI town. This was I think 4 years ago. Awesome show. It happened to be my youngest son's first real concert and motivated him to play bass. He told me as Do you Feel Like We Do was starting that this was the coolest thing he had ever done in his life.

There was just something about Peter's playing that drew me in when I first heard him with Humble Pie. It was so fluid and melodic, but with a jazzy sense of harmony. This was really unique in rock and roll and when you combined all of the other factors he was destined to be something big. I used to get strange looks from people when I told them what a fan I was...especially after the disaster of the Bee Gees movie. It was no secret that this and the drugs and booze really dumped his career, but it never diminished his playing.

My favorite interview with him was one Greg Martin did with him on his radio show. You can find it Greg's website under radio show: Greg Martin's Rockin' Gospel and Blues Music Website. He talks about the early years and being mentored by Keith Richards and the whole Small Faces thing and starting Humble Pie with Steve Marriott, leaving Pie to work with George Harrison on All things Must Pass, etc. He was just a kid. If you need a password to get into Greg's radio archives, let me know. It should still be up although I haven't looked in awhile.

b3john and Midnight Blues like this.
  10. toneguy86

toneguy86 V.I.P. Member

Actually I just went on Greg's site and I don't think you need a password to get into the interview archive. Scroll down almost to the bottom.

Midnight Blues likes this.
  11. TKOjams

TKOjams Senior Member

I really dig PF, he was one my first guitar heros.

I put this up on YT a few years ago. Not perfect, but was proud of it at the time.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86nrsT1NNq8&feature=related]Peter Frampton - Do You Feel Like We Do (cover) 1 of 2 - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzWOQXeKxdw]Peter Frampton - Do You Feel Like We Do (cover) 2 of 2 - YouTube[/ame]

12. Midnight Blues

Must have been pretty cool to experience that with your son!

I remember getting "Performance Rockin' The Fillmore" when it first came out. I was so enamored with his playing for the same reasons as you. He was playing differently from any of his peers at the time and his phrasing and melodicism is what drew me to him as well. If it wasn't for him, I may never have known who Wes Montgomery was (my favorite Jazz player), which lead me to Larry Carlton, Lee Ritenour, Robin Ford and then the Yellowjackets.

Thanks for the info, I'll have to check it out!

You should still be proud of it TKO, that's some GREAT playing!!!! :applause::applause::applause::applause:

My thanks to you both for your contribution!!!!

13. b3john

b3john Senior Member

QuicksilverSS and LIBERTYMACHINE like this.
  14. joeobrien

joeobrien Senior Member

You guys already said it all... Peter Frampton has always been one of my truly favourite guitarists. Lines on My Face on FCA is a classic - I remember buying that album when it came out and being blown away by it. I already had a second hand copy of Rockin the Fillmore and found PF's soloing so, so cool. I couldn't get enough of it. Surely both those recordings ought to be in any guitarist's album collection.

And the other thread about his lost FCA LPC is an amazing read too.

Yes, I appreciate Peter Frampton very much indeed. :applause:

15. LIBERTYMACHINE

LIBERTYMACHINE Banned

[​IMG]

THIS did it for me. One of the most played soundtracks of my youth.
    I had only discovered his earlier catalog after "the older kids" schooled me.
    Wish I coulda seen him live back in the 70's
    FRAMPTON is COOL.

Lowdown, b3john and Midnight Blues like this.
  16. LIBERTYMACHINE

LIBERTYMACHINE Banned

17. EasyAce

EasyAce Senior Member

Peter Frampton was the main reason I enjoyed Humble Pie before his departure, and I'll always have a place for Wind of Change and Frampton's Camel . . .

old mark and Midnight Blues like this.
  18. Midnight Blues

You're right b3j, looks a little pale for some reason? :laugh2:

I wouldn't mind having one of those regardless!

I remember buying that when it came out as well. Just a jaw dropping album from my perspective.

I was just telling my wife about the "Something's Happening" album (which we were just listening to on our way home). I ordered that one before it was released from a local record store and I also bought the cassette. I was telling her how that album (and "Frampton" for that matter) reminds me of when we were dating and we'd go to the beach, listen to Peter Frampton and lounge around all day.

I'm lovin' the '54 LPC thread too and I can't wait to see what the outcome is!!!!

Very cool LM!!!! I was great seeing him in the '70s. You may know this from other posts I've made about him in other threads, but I saw him just before FCA was released. He was a warm-up act then. I saw him again shortly after FCA, but I think he was a headliner by then? Then I saw him again last summer. If you can believe this, there were only about 150 or so people there. Crazy isn't it? I'm going to see him again in February. Very much looking forward to that as you might imagine.

Both great albums EA and I feel the same way about Humble Pie as well. I did buy some of their LPs after he left, but it wasn't the same for me even though I liked Steve Marriott and the band really.

My thanks to the four of you for contributing, I very much appreciate it!!!!

19. RavenMadd

RavenMadd Senior Member

met the dude when I worked on 48th street in nyc ....class act and humble as all hell
    underrated player ....humble pie stuff kicks arse .....not a pop star ......carlos santana has the same vibe and attitude......

radiomatts and old mark like this.
  20. Midnight Blues

Very cool RM. I've met several of my favorites, but haven't been fortunate enough to meet Peter. Maybe some day?

Thanks for the post!