The Peak of Historic Popularity

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by jenton70, Dec 22, 2017.

1. jenton70

jenton70 Premium Member

Come on people now
    Smile on your brother
    Everybody get together
    Try to love one another
    Right now!

Happy New Years boys! Be safe out there this weekend. Or stay in and get some beer/les paul time in.

bungle, DanD, Pappy58 and 2 others like this.
  2. scott1970

scott1970 Senior Member

Sarcasm is not a weapon. That's silly talk.

efstop likes this.
  3. efstop

efstop Senior Member

Sarcasm is wasted on the weak minds that can't read it.

Crotch and scott1970 like this.
  4. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

Girls, girls, you’re both pretty!

RayTorvalds, Crotch, jenton70 and 5 others like this.
  5. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

I remember when you used to say that to me.....

*sigh

Crotch, jenton70, scott1970 and 3 others like this.
  6. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:cheers2:

scott1970 and VictorB like this.
  7. RangerJay

RangerJay Glam Bastard Premium Member

I'm going with the "stay in with beer and guitars" plan. But then, I am old, and set in my ways.

8. mudface

mudface Senior Member

Unless you have a "carry & conceal" permit, then it's for self defense.

scott1970 and Streetglide like this.
  9. Phil W

Phil W Senior Member

Streetglide was joking ... it was an obvious joke and it went over your head.

I've just read all of this thread and the various claims and statements are interesting and valid. The historic line was predominantly created and sold to people (mainly men) who grew up with 60s, 70s rock and understood the whole Beano, Kossoff, Green history of the failed 58 to 60 Les Paul rediscovered in the context of high gain music. It's worth noting that Peter Green went right off the Les Paul and claims that it is not a good blues guitar compared to a Fender.
    Rock is dead, Bono rightly said in Rolling Stone recently that music has become "too girly" ... absolutely correct. There's no anger, drive, power, urge to search and destroy in the whinging anodyne pop ballads of today, auto-tuned to death.
    Gibson sold to collectors not players. Some of those collectors played their collection, me included, but the never ending iterations toward the 'perfect clone' were an obvious marketing con; Gibson could have recreated an exact 59 replica (EXACT) at any time but refused to do so for commercial reasons. They farmed collectors but those collectors are declining ...

GearHo, RyanC and Kris Ford like this.
  10. Alvinfan

Alvinfan Senior Member

Shit ! I was just about to make a comment ! ......... Hell ! I´ll do it anyway :

To answer the original question : I just bought a 2014 1960 Historic reissue and it is a fine guitar,
    but it sure feels, plays and sounds pretty much like the 30 other Gibson Les Pauls I have owned (not to mention my Epiphones).
    Maybe I don´t have the ability to appriciate quality or maybe guitars aren´t that different after all and most is in the fingers !

And for those of you who are now wondering why I spend 5 K on a Gibson if I feel that way : I love the mojo and the X factor and am a bit of a snob:)

spitfire and filtersweep like this.
  11. uhai

uhai Junior Member

Rock is dead they say, Long live rock! Rock has gone underground. Now me being an old guy raised on 60's and 70's guitar driven music ( 1st 8 track was LZ II ) I have recently heard young bands not in lime light like Greta van fleet and The jacks and some not so new like BlackBerry Smoke Its out there just have to hunt for them and hopefully kids will find them also and get the urge to take up the mantel to carry on.

PermissionToLand, mfolet and jenton70 like this.
  12. alnico59

alnico59 Senior Member

I have two teenage boys. Problem today is the young girls don't necessarily like rock so the boys do whatever they can to get the girls. Conform or be cast out. Bottom line. Btw, I'm not happy about it.

13. jenton70

jenton70 Premium Member

Sausage metal screwed this up. Girls loved Bon Jovi and Led Zeppelin, but not so much Five Finger Death Punch or Pantera.

FKO, mudface, Schnee27 and 2 others like this.
  14. alnico59

alnico59 Senior Member

Yeah. Back in the 80's when I was just getting started not many girls I knew where into Thrash, death Metal. Even Maiden for that matter. Late Metallica after they soften up a bit some of the girls came back around to it. My boys like when I crank up Zep or ZZ in the car. But with the girls it's all about being cool and trendy with the times. I understand cause I played in bands when I was young to get the attention of the girls. It's just reversed now.

Kris Ford likes this.
  15. Crotch

Crotch Support MLP Veterans & Vendors Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

I wouldn't use Bono as my talking point on rock and roll. Just cause he makes shitty music doesn't mean everyone else does.

GearHo, The Birdman, blackie2 and 5 others like this.
  16. charlie chitlins

charlie chitlins Senior Member

Why do I see so many guitars without switch tips?
    I know a lot of them broke...so is it now historically accurate to go without?

17. lpthomas

lpthomas Premium Member

Maybe because Gibson ships em that way? Many sellers don't put the cap on for their stock photos.

18. KenG

KenG Senior Member

I was happy with the post 2000s up to 2014 in specs and quality (owned three CSs still have my 2010 R7 GT). Price wise they started to lose me in 2013 or so. Now most of the boards look poorer (think these are totally sub'ed out for inlays now) in general and the prices are way out of line for me for what amount to "improvements" that mean sh#t to me! The major changes at Gibson are also non-confidence builders and I doubt tbat'llchange any time soon. Maybe Gibson's next owner(s) will do better but who knows.
    Either way the "Golden Era" of the Custom Shop is gone for me.

rockinlespaul likes this.
  19. Mosster47

Mosster47 Senior Member

I've noticed the same thing. The only really high value guitars I have ever seen gigged are the real deals played by old people who bought them when they were just a guitar.

Kris Ford likes this.
  20. Mosster47

Mosster47 Senior Member

Here is my experience with this:

A co-worker's 11 year old son came to my house and saw my guitar room and instantly started bugging his dad to get him a guitar. He told me that and I gave him a crazy good deal on a Squire 50's Vibe Strat and a Marshall Class 5. He still plays quite a bit four years later.

My Nephew who is now 16 started picking around on a guitar about four years ago and I asked him if he wanted me to get him something nice to play and he said he would rather have an Obo. I don't know what the hell that is and honestly I haven't interacted with the kid that much after that.

My two sons are 7 and 3 and so far have zero interest even though they see and hear me play everyday. I started playing religiously when I was 6. Who knows if they gain interest but so far no dice. Yes, I've bought them their own junior guitars and amps.

Roshy Boy, Tone Lord and mudface like this.