The Peak of Historic Popularity

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by jenton70, Dec 22, 2017.

1. landguitar

landguitar Double Platinum Supporter

Which is why more folks buy Strats and Teles - fine guitars and very versatile but NOT LP’s - I just never bonded with them after I played my first LP through a Marshall. It might be a smaller amp and a boutique clone now, bits it’s still the “British” sound! :acoustic:

And while you can play Strat and Tele songs on a LP, the reverse just does not hold true, IMO.

I think the entire music business has peaked, like the movie business. Entertainment delivery is very different now - please write that down for future reference! :doh:

If I ever need to sell my guitars I imagine I - or my surviving wife - will not get what I paid for them, unless inflation really takes off! Luckily I didn’t buy for resale. It IS a shame that the resale market has deflated, for sellers at least!

I have been buying “other” guitars lately - an Anderson, an artist Jaguar, my RI aged CS Tele, acoustics; to “round out” my tonal options. Maybe others have been doing the same.

I think the changes in the industry and the spread of “indie” and “post-pop” have driven a lot of the change in guitar buying. Most indie bands don’t make enough to buy expensive, much less vintage guitars, they don’t aspire to be “guitar heros” and they use so many effects that you couldn’t tell the difference in a Strat vs a LP unless you are very trained and astute. And folks like Jack White have promoted cheap over good for a while now. I am not slamming effects - I have a significant pedal board. But when I read an interview with the lady from Wye Oak and she says she doesn’t write songs with a guitar or a piano - but messing around with effects to get “sounds” she can build into a song - then I know where this is headed and it scares me!

But I still play regularly with younger musicians who love classic rock and that encourages me, about them, at least.

1969 weatherman likes this.
  2. DanD

DanD Senior Member

Nobody needs a 4K guitar to make great music. Most bands I see live in the clubs are playing Mexican Strats and Teles and Epiphoney 335 copies. :hmm:

The same that can be said about Gibson CS guitars can be said about Fender CS, Collings, Anderson, Tyler et. al...

But those who appreciate the extra attention to detail want these higher priced alternatives. I think the number of these aficionados is shrinking tho and even the big players in the industry like Fender and Gibson are feeling the pain of a shrinking industry.

I've noticed many times over that corporations grow their businesses very well. What established businesses don't do well is contract/downsize to shrinking markets. Gibson seems to be in consolidation mode. Hopefully they'll pull it together and right size themselves for the current market demand. :fingersx:

3. BSeneca

BSeneca Senior Member

I dont know that I lost interest. I am at an age and income where I was able to sell a couple to get the real thing. Meaning a 1952 Goldtop and a 58 Junior. Albeit with some issues, but the TONE is there and thats all I really care about. I am Reissueless right now and would like a Tobacco R8 again. But ill go with a pre-owned 09-13

judson, DanD, Sct13 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

That point about a general downward trend in people playing guitar. To all of you with children:

Did you get your kids into music?
    Which instrument(s)?
    Did they stick with it, or just try it and quit?

Stinky Kitty, Sct13 and jenton70 like this.
  5. jenton70

jenton70 Premium Member

GREAT question, Tim. I'm curious, too. I'm working on getting my nephew into guitar and he is really taking to it. I grew up in a situation where I had access to my dad's 45's and I played them all the time. My early music exposure was the golden age of rock'n'roll. Chuck Berry, etc. It paved the way for a music obsession that would last decades. I'd love the hear that you parents are encouraging your kids to enjoy and play music.

Sct13 likes this.
  6. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

Mine was interested in drums but dropped it after a couple months of lessons.

7. RangerJay

RangerJay Glam Bastard Premium Member

Expensive guitars are a niche market. I’m at that point in my life that I can safely afford a few.

I’ve been playing for nearly 50 years now. I’ve been fortunate enough to have played really good guitars in that time. I’ve done the garage thing, the club thing, the cover band thing, and played on some recordings; good ones that actually sold.

Still, I am no pro. Just pretty good. One of my pleasures in life is playing really good guitars. I kind of collect, but only to a point. To me, having more guitars than I can play is kinda dumb. Been there.

A great guitar will not make me a better player. It will, however, stimulate me and make me want to play and improve. There’s still a lot for me to learn. I love my guitars. I try to pass that love on to my nephews, and others. When I die, there will be a line to grab my Fenders and Gibsons.

After they pry them from my cold, dead fingers!

rockinlespaul and DanD like this.
  8. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

You bet Tim.

Both my Son & Daughter went in to Yamaha Music School at 3 years of age........on Piano.

Son moved to Sax through Primary & Highschool, along with Voice lessons & he started playing my Guitars.

Daughter moved to a Clarinet through Primary & Highschool.

Son is now proficient on Guitar & Piano & highly proficient on Sax & Voice.

Daughter stopped Clarinet but when she returns from England in a few months I know she’ll be on to Guitar or Drums & she’s about to turn 26 in January.

Son still plays & does the odd recording & will be 27 in March next year.

He’s the one that has pitch perfect hearing. I’m jelly.

Cheers, Rudi.

rockinlespaul likes this.
  9. skynyrdwillriseagain

skynyrdwillriseagain Member

I think the target market is just drying up.

As a millennial, a good number of my "guitar heroes" didn't play 59 Les Pauls and I don't really care about the historic features for the price they're offered at. I'm more concerned with how it sounds and feels over having the correct pickup ring height. I don't think I'm alone in this assessment.

Mosster47, Kris Ford, BSeneca and 2 others like this.
  10. space

space Senior Member

My kids (5) have always been exposed to my music (much to their annoyance :D)
    At a very early age we encouraged them to take up an instrument
    the elementary school got 4 of them started on violin (5th taught herself bass)
    my eldest ventured into bluegrass.
    the other three moved on from playing, tho they do pik it up now and again
    the youngest imo is a savant
    she can pik up nearly any stringed instrument and pluck out a tune (classical, bluegrass etc)
    weather it be a cheap uke, her violin or one of my gits
    I explained to each one that music is there to soothe ur soul not to make a career of

judson likes this.
  11. Farquad

Farquad Double Platinum Supporter

I was working on my nephew and trying to get him into guitar. It was going pretty going pretty well too...
    Then he discovered drums. :-(

Hey at least he's playing.

12. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter Premium Member

to your point about being a bunch of "old guys" ......yep.....When the younger (20 somethings) in the family have NO IDEA .....that the song "Sweet Leaf" is about smoking weed .....your old.... and I know they get high ....but for me to be "in on it" is WAY off base for them....( I don't really want to....but I'm sure you get it). ....I tried to explain it....they won't have it! your fking OLD ....there is no way YOU could possibly know about weed....!!!!

they are stupider than I thought

To that end the Grandkids have full access to any instrument in the house, there are two keyboards in the living room with acoustics, bass's and yes Les Paul's available for them to play on. They turn on the Hammond Organ and are allowed to make as much "music" as they like. That exposure to music and available instruments have already sparked some desire to play in one of them....But not enough to save Gibson ....

Kris Ford, judson, bungle and 2 others like this.
  13. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

Yes I am well aware of these facts, Doesn't it mean it wasn't perfect then..just took folks longer to realize it!. :420: Must been a bunch putz's! :hmm:

14. RangerJay

RangerJay Glam Bastard Premium Member

I was fortunate when I was growing up. Had a piano in the house. Had a good school band program, and played trombone. My parents were very supportive, even with the “turn that freaking guitar down” thing.

I’m a bit flabbergasted that parents these days don’t seem to understand.

My dad bought me a nice Rickenbacker 340 in a pawn shop in 1970. Changed my life.

He did not entirely understand, but he recognized my potential. He was always proud of my playing,
    Even later in life. He’s gone now, but not forgotten.

Kids need exposure, access, and teaching. It happens.

15. Streetglide

Streetglide Member

There is a photo around somewhere of a '58 or '59 lemon burst side-by-side with a reissue lemon burst. The more I looked at it, the more I saw how vastly different they were. The body shape, the cutaway, the knob placement, the headstock were all different enough that I could see this clearly even in a lousy online photo.

I have no desire to buy something so obviously wrong. I'll stick to my'73 Standard. It sounds every bit as good as the new guitars and the neck shape is terrific...

[​IMG]

16. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

Maybe listening to the old man completely butcher the guitar ruined music for him all together?

:wave:

Historic spec accuracy is definitely a baby boomer obsession. My favourite is still the tailpiece angle fetish.

17. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

You’re not wrong. :laugh2:

Tim Plains likes this.
  18. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

My daughter plays guitar and has kept at it in her own little world. Just acoustic strumming and singing country ballads for the most part. She is getting into a lot of boomer music at 24 and starting to pay attention to some electric music and pointing out certain riffs.

Just got the Grandson drums for Christmas at age 7. He loves to get on them and has high IQ. There are drums and keyboard in his house now were going to work him on lessons on both and see where it may go. No lack of effort here! :beer:

Kris Ford likes this.
  19. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

Um, no, and um no. Any comparison like you mention is going to be dependent on what year historic is used in said comparison. Anyway, nobody is denying the historic's are not exacts, laws and economics make it impossible. What I can tell you is in 40+ years of playing Les Pauls, nothing matches the quality and playability of my late model Custom Shop examples. I have a 75 Deluxe, I keep it because its an example of an era I lived through, and it has it's coolness. But it's no match to my R8's. (Beautiful Amp BTW) :cheers:

mudface likes this.
  20. Schnee27

Schnee27 Junior Member

What, if anything, do you guys think this will do to the price of Historics in the used market?

I feel like I've gotten in on the tail end of things.

I tried to buy a new R8 from guitar center that was on clearance and had a website snafu, then they honored the price on another R8, but sent me the wrong guitar (ContouR8) and I didn't take it.

I'd like to get myself a nice flametop R8 or an R9 but I'm not sure what the used market is going to do and if I should wait or not