The Peak of Historic Popularity

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by jenton70, Dec 22, 2017.

1. alnico59

alnico59 Senior Member

^ Ok, glass is half full moment coming..

Living in Florida I'm a car ride from all the major tourist areas down here. Loud rock can be tough down here, real tough. But guitar driven blues, funk, Motown and anything danceable is a hit. Just have to be smart, put away any guitar hero crap, hide in the mix more often and one will be fine. Worst case if you get itchy fingers --- strategically place a few SRV tunes in the set. People still like that to a degree.

Don't see this changing anytime soon as classics are classics. I guess one has to adapt or get out. I'm sure this is not any different from other parts of the country. Or the world for that matter.

Like I was told when I first arrived down here, if you want to play loud chunky rock tunes through a 50 watt tube amp turned up then look for the establishments away from the family tourist areas. The places with the motorcycles parked out in front are usually fair game. Wow that statement reminded me of the biker bar scene in Pee Wee Herman's Great Adventure!

Just remember, no one is going to knock on our doors and confiscate or guitars! So enjoy what you have, anyway you can.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
    Sct13 and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  2. jenton70

jenton70 Premium Member

We're officially old guys, no? The music that was so important to us, and shaped a culture, is passe'. It's disgusting how shallow popular music has become but there is no denying it's not going anywhere soon.

3. joedonner2001

joedonner2001 Senior Member

I always thought that the term "True Historic" was a very unfortunate choice in the vein of adding insult to injury. Some forum member here at the time said something like: "There are limits to my tolerance for taking it up the ass", and that was mine.

Slapjaw, joff and ht-57 like this.
  4. mfolet

mfolet Senior Member

Girls are now playing Les Pauls in greater numbers.

5. nitrodave08

nitrodave08 Senior Member

In 2013 I had the means to get my "Holy Grail" of a R9. I picked up a $1700 TradProII to see if I would actually get back into playing or would it just be a wall decoration. 3 months later I decided to get one. About a week after deciding to go for it, the price went up from $4300 to $6500. There was no way I was going to pay that being a hobbyist. Seemed like all the R9s I was looking disappeared and none to be found. And of course the used market followed.

I was lucky enough to find this '14 VOS last year, full case candy 99%mint for $3700 and jumped on it.

Curious George, bungle, Sct13 and 7 others like this.
  6. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

0E8CDCE4-88B4-496F-B7B7-E200614C8E3E.jpeg

grayd8, Mosster47, Jcolmn and 10 others like this.
  7. GT40

GT40 Senior Member

I bought a custom shop historic a couple of months ago. It was 2016 spec aside from the m2m stuff but was built in early 2017.

Absolutely fantastic guitar. My first Gibson. But since I only have the one pair of hands, only about 40% of the songs I play need a Les Paul sound and I don't want duplicates, I can't imagine ever buying another one.

I do like to look at what the custom shop is putting out now though. It seems more custom with all of the short runs and unusual finishes, and the quality seems to be extremely good.

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  8. MikeC

MikeC Senior Member

Public interest ebbs and flows, but I still count my R9 (my only electric guitar) as some of my most-prized worldly possessions. My 3 year old niece loves strumming it, too.

9. toymaker

toymaker Senior Member

Demand is effected by numerous factors...the number of users is stagnant, fewer buyers "upgrading" from USA to CS product..reality is US product will always outsell a CS 5 or 10-1, even LP's - even though the price difference between a used R8 and a new US standard is negligible..the price of a new R versus a new US is like 100%..most buyers buying new buy new because they for some reason value being the "first" owner.

The "must buy now" rush in buyers minds of the peak years has passed. At one time, there was a wait for a new R series, and used stuff sold quickly. With extra inventory now available, both are seeing the urgency of purchases decline.

Finally, the glut of gear and falling used prices has killed the owners of multiples in general. Again, buyers in the past would see a good deal and act with no fear...after all, if they wanted to sell later - they could recoup their investment 100% reasonably fast. Now, sellers of all but the finest of tops are having problems - so those who were eating up the excess inventory early on have begun passing..creating a deeper inventory glut.

In my opinion, historics were never designed to appeal to the under 30 set from the start...target audience is classic rock lovers who have the disposable income at this point in their life. The lack of new players is not going to be known for 20 more years - but overall its a problem for the industry - not specific to high end makers who will always have a niche fan base.

Kris Ford, Phil W, Fiord and 3 others like this.
  10. martinman

martinman Junior Member

LoL. Never thought of it that way. But, yeah totally agree.

I do have hope though. Most of the younger generation is constantly on spotify / pandora / amazon music / google music. There is much more variety these days. No longer is radio the only gateway. These days, an artist can post their music on youtube - lindsey stirling, post malone are good examples. These are artists who were trying to make it and finally did via social media (and in this case, both play instruments!).

I just hope that in the future these outlets really help to identify the true talent in the world. Not the fabricated / architected dopamine pop hit music that we have now.

Nobody needs a $4k guitar to make good music. I think IMO that's where we're at now.

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  11. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

Another couple reasons people may have started loosing interest, I think, is:

a) Gibson took way too long to get specs to where they are today. 20 years to get hot hyde glue and no truss rod sheath. Twenty years. Same for Brazilian. They kept saying no, no, no, and now 14 year after the last run we see Brazilian reissues again.

b) They completely flooded and ruined the collector market with the number of CCs released in such a short time frame. How many are there now, 30, 40 CCs with most being released in the past four years? CCs should have been released at three or four per year, tops.

12. Subterfuge

Subterfuge Senior Member

Which phone is that ?? I've never owned a cell-phone. I am 62 years old, trust me, I know what a catalog looks like ... LOL ...... Merry Christmas and All the Best in 2018

mudface and mfolet like this.
  13. lassie

lassie Senior Member

I can reassure you that the historic section is no old man´s club. ;) I'm 24 and I´m owning a ´14 R8 at the moment and will be buying another historic LP soon. Ive also owned a CC7 and an Ace Frehley 1959 for a short time.

lakeburst, bungle, DrSte31n and 6 others like this.
  14. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

And I can assure you that you are the exception to the rule. Not many 20 something's buying historics for the main reason they simply can't afford them.

Hell I didn't buy my first Gibson Les Paul until I was in my 30s.

15. alnico59

alnico59 Senior Member

And now look at us!

It's funny, there was a time, not too long ago, I would think about dropping 5k on a reissue like it was $500. Now with resale being so tough I started to rethink things.

rockinlespaul likes this.
  16. Hap Hazzard

Hap Hazzard Senior Member

From my own limitd perspective I'd say things peaked around 2013/14 from an interest and affordability standpoint. Now, it's 30% yearly price hikes with...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    RAG7890 and jenton70 like this.
  17. Basauri

Basauri Member

I've got your point and I think you're right... but the hat is NEW! :naughty:

18. mudface

mudface Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

I bought my first LP when I was 15,....... a lot of odd jobs and working after school,...a used 1978 custom for $450 in 1980. Still have it. My first Strat in 1982 for $385......don't have it....minimum wage was $3.15 an hour.....I was taking home $113 a week.
    My first reissue was a Leo in 1983, it was used and cost me $1250.00....when times got tough I sold it:facepalm:....the serial on that one was L1 009 (in case someone has it)....of course LPs were not that popular then....it was all super strats.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    Kris Ford and Pappy58 like this.
  19. blackie2

blackie2 Senior Member

Just shop around and buy used and you can get any guitar you want if you're patient. Buying new all you get is case candy and a warranty that's pretty much worthless so why bother?

20. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

6C3D0F8A-E563-4115-A2D6-9C06D5D7AEF1.jpeg

grayd8 and frankv like this.