The Official Vintage Les Paul Parts Thread

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by BOBBO, Jul 24, 2008.

1. rcopey

rcopey Junior Member

looking for info on les paul jr. ser. # 923358 and a source of vintage parts, need a jack plate and bushing for the tuners. thanks much

2. Louie

Louie Senior Member

Some close-up shots I took of a '58 Burst that was for sale at a local guitar show back in 2012:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  3. Licks

Licks Senior Member

Glorious guitar! Do you have any more pictures Louie?

Just a quick question for all you knowledgable burst-brains. Are early 60's Gibson strap buttons the same as used during the late 50's? If not - then in what ways do they differ?

The reson being, that I recently bought a set of used vintage Gibson strap buttons, claiming to be pulled from a 1961 Les Paul "SG", and it would seem that the screws have a much smaller head than I would come to expect, and as such are seated far deeper into the recess than shown on other period examples. Does this look like a period correct matching set to you?

[​IMG]

4. Russellhammond

Russellhammond Junior Member

Hi all, ive had a look through this thread but I can't see anything on 59part.com? Does anyone have any info on them? How spot on are they?
    I'm looking for everything to build a 59 copy (except timber), price isn't a problem.

Many thanks, Russell

5. edselman

edselman Senior Member

I have a rather simple question. I asked this in another category but I think it would be more appropriate here. I have been trying to determine what the body of the original '50's era ABR 1 bridges were made of. I know that the saddles were brass. But I have come up with conficting information from two "experts." Both state that the bridge bodies were cast and then machined in finishing. However, one says that the bridges were made of zinc or zamak, the other says that the bridge bodies were cast brass. Some of the photos on this post, such as the ones above appear to show brass in the worn areas. Maybe someone here who has examined an original with some finish worn away, or has an opinion on the matter can help. An answer this question would be most appreciated.