The Official Vintage Les Paul Parts Thread

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by BOBBO, Jul 24, 2008.

1. InfiniteeZ

InfiniteeZ Senior Member

2. Thermionik

Thermionik Not Fade Away Premium Member

[​IMG]

Kim showed this in post #97 as a "1952 Trapeze".
    My question - is it an original fitment or an aftermarket item,
    and if original, when were they used.....

Not so much "pick guard on / pick guard off" as WTF.

3. Lefty Elmo

Lefty Elmo Senior Member

I just bought this beautiful 1958 pokerchip.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. jimi55lp

jimi55lp Senior Member

That trapeze trows me to with Les Paul Model on top of mounting plate? I've seen a guy thats had one with the same inscription on Ebay for many weeks now, and He finally answered me last week with the lengths of the rods from that mount plate pivot point to the ends of the threads that pass thru the wrap bar, they were 8 1/4 " and the other was something less and I told him those weren't for a 1952/53 Les Paul trapeze because they're one inch to long and the mount had 4 screw holes. with an extra tab that hung below for a much thicker body. He didn't want to believe me untill I told him I have 2 1952s with both measuring less than his and without the extra tab. He asked if I could tell him what it fits and I said I know very little about any Gibson made after 1967/68 but I think it came on the dbl cut all gold acoustic electric with F holes that was shaped like an ES-335 and Gibson had an ad with a guy with a shag hairdcut that looked like Tony Orlando playing one standing in a photo ad with a Jaggermiester look on his face. Those were called Les Paul Model and I think they were sold in the mid to late 70s. I bought a trapeze like his years ago and when it arived I had to send it back for refund because it wasn't for a 52/53 GT. Every so often I see the ad photo listed on Ebay.

1 person likes this.
  5. Curlymaple

Curlymaple Senior Member

Oh my, going through my parts drawer today and found these vintage caps filing up. I really need to start testing these for their actual capacitance?
    What to do, what to do......

.022 400v:
    [​IMG]
    10 pairs of .022 400v and .015 400v:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Group shot; some 600v .022 & .015s:
    [​IMG]
    Vqs and some other stuff you may recognized:
    [​IMG]

Now, I got to figure out to make a box to try these out without soldering?!
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 person likes this.
  6. Curlymaple

Curlymaple Senior Member

Vintage knobs under black light::wave:

DJ 07-59 28 months later::shock:
    Wow!! It looks like dirty lemon burst, sweet! Check out the nitro how it react under BL :hmm:
    [​IMG]
    Check out the fade under the pick-guard even reacts under BL. 80's knobs orange color and area 59 knobs (far right), p-guard and poker chips... Looks dead flat!
    [​IMG]
    Dan's MojoAxe guard installed and vintage clone rings; area 59 guard and poker chips opposite and vintage 50's knobs:
    [​IMG]
    DJ 07 LPB7; (orig guard bottom of pic) not sure what year the guard installed, but definitely old :hmm:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. musicmaniac

musicmaniac Senior Member

Just found this thread, very cool guys!

1 person likes this.
  8. kasu

kasu Senior Member

Hi guys.
    Just bought this old(?) thing on ebay. Hopefully I can find the right saddles and screws for it so I can use it. But how old is it...? The newer ABR1, on my gibsies at least, dont have that patent stamp...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. MiniB

MiniB Senior Member

It looks like a shaved/ground down one...like for some early '58 ES-335's with lower neck angles and hence the need to get the ABR-1 down very low. Some thin ABR-1s were factory made, like....

[​IMG]

And I think they would bend/collapse easier over a shorter time, and probably explains someone making a replacement out of a regular one and grinding the bottom down.

Anyway, regular stock Gibson ABR-1 saddles/screws should probably fit. They used to sell them separately, but if not just take them off another bridge.

The ones with the patent number on the bottom like that are I believe from 1966 or so.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-196...9-/281061880050?pt=Guitar&hash=item417097f0f2

1 person likes this.
  10. kasu

kasu Senior Member

Hi.
    Thanks for the input. Just recieved the bridge today and as you say, it has been shaved down.

11. MiniB

MiniB Senior Member

Can you return it if it's not what you need?

12. kasu

kasu Senior Member

No, but thats ok. I didnt pay much for it. It will work fine on a project Im doing :).

13. Bravo4

Bravo4 Member

My invisible '58 Les Paul...........

It's been an 18 month project. I've been burned on some fakes, and picked up a few spares, but I'm finally there. All the parts are 56-60 except the pickguard (a cut '53) and the rings, which are 70's M-69's but will probably end up being Bartlett's on the final project.

Attached Files:

5 people like this.
  14. Bravo4

Bravo4 Member

My favorite vintage part. The knob on the left has red dye that has bled into it over time.

At first notice, I day dreamed that maybe, just maybe, it was pulled from an original burst. I got it from a vintage dealer I've known for 25 years.

I called back and asked if he remembered where it came from. He had it since 1972-74. He remembers it coming off of a cherry '59-60 DC junior special. Which doesn't really add up, because those knobs should have been black.

Still a cool part though.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  15. Greco

Greco Senior Member

Woah! :wow: Must be about $15k of parts right there! Hope you've got some good wood to hold it all together?

1 person likes this.
  16. Bigsby'd

Bigsby'd Senior Member

Sorry for the necro-bump, but the longer trap-bridges are for ES-295s and ES-225s, and not on the Les Paul Signatures.

1 person likes this.
  17. Joshabr1

Joshabr1 Senior Member

Who is currently making the closest repro stuff?? Abr1, knobs , tailpiece, rings. I mean closest in looks and material.

18. Bravo4

Bravo4 Member

It varies, part to part, but Crazy Parts is a good place to start.

19. mantara

mantara Junior Member

To Kim.
    Do you or anyone else know what the gear ratio is on those old Grover Rotomatic tuners that Kim posted pictures of on page 1?
    Currently Grover only supply ratios of 14:1 and 18:1 in their 102 series. Would early 60's gear ratios for tuners fitted to LP Custom have been 14:1 ?

20. jerry47

jerry47 Premium Member

Good info, The 2013s do glow differently than the older R LPs The knobs on this one are retrospects Tuners are stock Gibson 2013s stock Gibson 2013 paint.

Attached Files: