The Official ORANGE AMPS Love-Fest Thread

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by lunchbox, Dec 28, 2017.

1. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

VOICE OF THE WORLD

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  2. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

I've ALWAYS thought the whole Orange thing was cool.

Started with a Tiny Terror, sold it, missed it, and ended up with an OR15. LOVE IT. I returned my Rocker 15 (ONLY because I want to buy one from my Orange dealer) so I'll be getting a keeper probably later this year.

Also dying to know what they're gonna do for 50th Anni (2018).

In the meantime, in keeping with this thread:
    upload_2017-12-28_10-46-41.jpeg

upload_2017-12-28_10-47-32.jpeg

3. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

OR15's are great amps. I loved the tone out of mine. But for what I play it was way under-powered. I would definitely use one for recording though.

4. cherrysunburst00

No doubt, Brother. Seeing that full stack, i get what you're talking about

lunchbox likes this.
  5. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Hell yeah, count me in. My Tiny Terror serves me well. I need to use it more at it's full potential. I have it set just over the edge of breakup and then goose it with either a Bad Monkey or Soul Food overdrive pedal. Amazing how well it takes OD pedals because it sounds awful with most others. I can run the gamut of our covers setlist with this. From The Knack to AC/DC to Thin Lizzy and more.

However, yesterday I was playing it with the gain moved from its static noon position to 3:00. Wow, I was in heaven making up riffs totally ripped off from Motorhead, Black Sabbath, Uncle Acid. Cowabunga! No tone like it.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  6. Classicplayer

Classicplayer Senior Member

You do mean 3:00 on the Tiny Terror gain?

Classicplayer

7. I Break Things

I Break Things Senior Member

I have a Crush 35RT that I love. Sounds great no matter what I do with it. It's the first decent amp I've had.

8. northernguitarguy

Oh yeah, and straight in with no pedals. My 1x10 sounded like a monster! I always goose it with an OD pedal, I gotta remember to use this amp setting at the next rehearsal.

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  9. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

Do you not like the Orange gain from the amp? I think the TT gain sounds amazing as-is!

I guess I'm just weird because I never use OD/distortion/gain pedals. I like to use the natural gain of an amp, so that's the way I pick my amps (by how the stock gain sounds). I do use a fuzz pedal sometimes just for jamming by myself, but fuzz is way different than gain/distortion.

My CR120 has great gain tone. The only pedals I use are a Boss TU-3 tuner, Dunlop Crybaby Wah (the model with the boost and wah control), and an Xotic EP Booster for leads. For what I do, I don't feel like I really need any more than that.

10. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

I just bought a CR12 yesterday so that I can practice at home with headphones. Only $99 w. free shipping. From the samples I've heard it sounds really good with that cab simulator. And now I'll be able to use the headphone out to record riffs/songs to Garageband on my iphone. Stoked!

[​IMG]

11. Ginger Beer

Ginger Beer Senior Member

I have a Rocker 30. Great amp. Sadly, the original band I was using it with broke up and with the new original band, I've switched back to my Marshall 2203 so the Orange has been collecting dust for the past 8 months.
    The only solution is to start another band!

I also have a micro terror and have used for rehearsals and as an emergency backup with my cover band.

I still want an OR15...just because they sound awesome. It's a sickness.

12. cherrysunburst00

TT is sweet. Would have picked up another had the OR15 not come out

'grats!

That makes 2 of us, Brother.

13. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

I've been pondering a switch from the CR120 to a Rocker 30. I just don't know if it has balls enough for what I do, and I don't think I could justify the cost to wifey. We have other more pressing financial expenses at the moment, and I still don't own a house. :-(

14. Ginger Beer

Ginger Beer Senior Member

Couldn't say for sure as I never tried the CR120. The Rocker 30 has some serious cojones, however. To me it sounds reminiscent of my 2203 but like it's been hot rodded. I kept the drummer from the original band where I played the Orange exclusively. He is the loudest drummer I ever played with. The Orange kept up no problem.

15. Classicplayer

Classicplayer Senior Member

IMG_3549.JPG

Dark Terror was my choice; paired it with the PPC112. I've held off of adding any distortion or boost pedals so far. I like Orange's "concept" of what gain should be and I guess there are more owners who think something similar. My goal in getting this model was to get an amp with a bit of a different gain sound (not VOX, not Marshall) and then find my own way of "sculpting" the gain shape to be compatible with my playing styles. It must also have a very good "clean" or degrees of that clean that is compatible with my own idea oF what modern amp clean should be. My other consideration for an amp was the OR15. I think I'll stick with my choice, thank you.

Classicplayer

16. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

I’d love to try a Rocker 30 someday.

The CR120 can get really, really loud. In that live pic above, running a full stack, the volume was only on 2.5 for a huge room full of bodies. The only thing I wish it had more of is low end. A tiny bit more bass and it would be a 10/10.

17. northernguitarguy

I’m a total pedal head. But you’re correct, the TT on its own is glorious! My setting of tone at 2:30, gain at noon, and volume to suit is the ultimate base to grab the most crunch versatility. Straight in, and with the right guitar, I can do The Strokes, The Knack, The Stones. Add in the Bad Monkey, I’m up to early AC/DC, Foo Fighters, Lenny Kravitz, etc. Soul Food takes it into Thin Lizzy. We cover a lot of ground in the SweatHogs and with singing duties and rhythm guitar, it’s great to have controls to change for that at my feet.

lunchbox and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  18. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

I own a few Orange things.

Dark Terror
    OR50
    Rockerverb 100 MKII
    Thunderverb 200
    Cabs & cables

There one thing Orange could improve on would be to get rid of the PCB mounted tube sockets, they're not rigid.

19. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

I've always wanted an AD30, though some great deals have been passed up over the years. I use the "other tech" 99% of the time, but still think a AD30 sitting on top of a 2x12 would look pretty kickass in the living room :hmm:

20. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

...PICS...