The Official MLP Pick Trading Thread!!

Discussion in 'Member Classifieds' started by colchar, Aug 4, 2012.

1. colchar

colchar Banned

In some recent pick threads I noticed various people saying that they would be interested in trying picks that others had mentioned, that they had trouble finding some picks in stores, etc. In addition to some picks being hard to find, I have also found that some stores do not sell all of their picks as singles so people are stuck buying packs just to test them out only to find that they do not like the particular pick and are then stuck with them and are out the (roughly) $5 that they paid for the pack of picks. Even stores that stock picks from large manufacturers can sometimes have trouble getting in the lesser known picks that these companies make (I have waited a couple of months for some Herco picks, which are made by Dunlop these days, to come into the store I shop). And finally, many stores will only process bulk orders of picks so if they do not have what you are looking for available in their chain somewhere, you can wait ages for the picks you’d like to try to come in because the store is waiting until they need to fully restock on picks before ordering any. Plus, if the store you deal with isn’t a retailer for particular brands of picks then you are totally screwed.

Some of us also have large collections of picks that we no longer use because we have switched brands, gauge, pick style (regular to jazz style or teardrop style), or whatever and I figure why not make these available to forum brothers (and sisters) who might be interested in trying them?

So, because of all that, I thought it might be a good idea to start up a ‘Pick It Forward’ thread here that will be run along the same lines as the ‘Pay It Forward’ thread that we already have. I have spoken to one of the Mods and he thought it was a great idea so here is the inaugural post in our new ‘Pick It Forward’ thread.

Here are the basic rules of how this will work, copied from the existing ‘Pay It Forward’ thread (and modified a bit), and if anyone can think of any other rules that perhaps should be added please shoot me a PM:

1) You must post some picks free yourself before you can ask for picks that someone else has posted.

2) Do not ask for something that is not posted (there are sometimes problems with this in the original ‘Pay It Forward’ thread).

3) If you offer up some picks please try to send new, unused ones to people (as far as is possible) rather than ratty ones you have been using heavily for a couple of months.

4) Please do not use this as a way to restock on the picks you normally use.

5) Please do not be greedy (ie. if someone posts that they have a dozen of pick X available please do not ask for the entire dozen – just take a couple to try them out and leave the rest for others who might also be interested in trying them).

6) Please try to space requests out amongst the various participants. If we have 20-30 people asking one member to send them picks the costs for envelopes and postage is going to add up pretty quickly for that person so let’s try to be fair to the members here who are participating in this thread as a gesture of goodwill to their forum brothers (and sisters). It simply wouldn’t be fair for one person to incur significant postage charges just because they are being nice. In fact, if someone has had a ton of requests I think it only fair for them to be able to ask people to hang on until their next payday or whatever. Let’s face it, these are picks so none of us are in dire need of them so being asked to wait a week or two is far from unreasonable if the who is person asking them to do that has already been inundated with requests.

7) The only money that can change hand is for postage costs but picks can be shipped in normal envelopes (or, at the most, bubble envelopes) so postage won’t cost anything more than the price of a regular stamp and I expect that most people will just eat that cost. In the situation described above, in which someone has been inundated with requests, it is not unreasonable for them to ask that postage be covered but this is between the people involved.

8) Because overseas postage can sometimes get expensive, if someone wants picks shipped to Australia or Japan or something then the members involved can work out something amongst themselves to cover postage.

9) If someone is offering some of the expensive boutique picks (these can range from $5-$75 each) then it is alright for them to ask for money from whomever is claiming them. This has been discussed with a Mod (LedZepFan) and he is fine with this.

10) This is not a place for trading, selling, or otherwise doing "business".

2. colchar

colchar Banned

Since it was my idea to start this thread it is only right that I be the first one to offer up picks for others so below is the list of what I have available. I went through a thin gauge pick phase for a little while but am now back to much thicker picks and am actually transitioning to the jazz styled picks so all of the ones offered here are going to be light to medium gauge picks but they are there for whoever wants them.

Dunlop Tortex Black .50 gauge X 5
    Dunlop Tortex Black .60 gauge X 5
    Dunlop Tortex Red .50 gauge X 2
    Dunlop Tortex Orange .60 gauge X 7
    Dunlop Ultex .60 gauge X 3
    Dunlop Midi Nylon .53 gauge X 9
    Dunlop Midi Nylon .67 gauge X 8
    Dunlop Midi Nylon .80 gauge X 4
    Dunlop Tortex Teardrop Orange .60 gauge X 1
    Dunlop Tortex Teardrop Yellow .73 gauge X 1
    Dunlop Tortex Teardrop Green .88 gauge X 1
    Dunlop Gator Grip Red .58 gauge X 9
    Dunlop ‘The Wedge’ Orange .60 gauge X 2
    Dunlop ‘The Wedge’ Yellow .73 gauge X 3
    Dunlop Max Grip Nylon .60 gauge X 2
    Dunlop Max Grip Nylon .73 gauge X 8
    Dunlop Gels medium-light gauge (green) X 2
    Dunlop Gels medium gauge (purple) X 5
    Dunlop Nylon Standard white .46 gauge X 3
    Dunlop Nylon Standard light grey .60 gauge X 17
    Dunlop Nylon Standard dark grey .73 gauge X 32
    Jim Dunlop USA White thin gauge X 2
    Snarling Dogs Brain Yellow .48 gauge X 1
    Snarling Dogs Brain Green .53 gauge X 7
    Snarling Dogs Brain Purple .60 gauge X 10
    Dava Control Pick X 1

4 people like this.
  3. vj6pac

vj6pac Senior Member

Ok lets get this thread going.

I have-
    9 dunlop tortex blue 1.0mm
    9 dunlop tortex purple 1.14mm

I am in Australia but more than happy to post to the USA or anywhere else in the world.

colchar ill take

Dunlop Midi Nylon .80 gauge X 1
    Dunlop Gator Grip Red .58 gauge X 1
    Dunlop ‘The Wedge’ Orange .60 gauge X 1
    Dunlop ‘The Wedge’ Yellow .73 gauge X 1
    Dunlop Max Grip Nylon .73 gauge X 1
    Dunlop Gels medium gauge (purple) X 1
    Dunlop Nylon Standard dark grey .73 gauge X 1
    Snarling Dogs Brain Yellow .48 gauge X 1
    Snarling Dogs Brain Purple .60 gauge X 1
    Dava Control Pick X 1
    I am happy to pay postage to Australia.

Thanks for the thread what a great idea.:dude:

1 person likes this.
  4. colchar

colchar Banned

Sorry, but the Aussie women beat the Canadian women in the Olympic badminton the other day (after the Chinese, etc. were chucked out for throwing matches) so this Canuck cannot in good conscience send any picks to an Aussie :naughty:

Just kidding obviously. I'll set those aside for you and will get them in the mail. It is a long weekend here so mail won't leave the post office until Tuesday but I'll likely have them dropped off at the post office tomorrow. Just send me a PM with your mailing address.

I'm hoping it will catch on.

5. colchar

colchar Banned

Now that some of mine have been claimed, here is my updated list:

Dunlop Tortex Black .50 gauge X 5
    Dunlop Tortex Black .60 gauge X 5
    Dunlop Tortex Red .50 gauge X 2
    Dunlop Tortex Orange .60 gauge X 7
    Dunlop Ultex .60 gauge X 3
    Dunlop Midi Nylon .53 gauge X 9
    Dunlop Midi Nylon .67 gauge X 8
    Dunlop Midi Nylon .80 gauge X 3
    Dunlop Tortex Teardrop Orange .60 gauge X 1
    Dunlop Tortex Teardrop Yellow .73 gauge X 1
    Dunlop Tortex Teardrop Green .88 gauge X 1
    Dunlop Gator Grip Red .58 gauge X 8
    Dunlop ‘The Wedge’ Orange .60 gauge X 1
    Dunlop ‘The Wedge’ Yellow .73 gauge X 2
    Dunlop Max Grip Nylon .60 gauge X 2
    Dunlop Max Grip Nylon .73 gauge X 7
    Dunlop Gels medium-light gauge (green) X 2
    Dunlop Gels medium gauge (purple) X 4
    Dunlop Nylon Standard white .46 gauge X 3
    Dunlop Nylon Standard dark grey .73 gauge X 31
    Jim Dunlop USA White thin gauge X 2
    Snarling Dogs Brain Green .53 gauge X 7
    Snarling Dogs Brain Purple .60 gauge X 9

6. Thundergod

Thundergod Senior Member

Ok I'm in... here's what I got:

Dunlop Tortex

10 red 0.50
    50 orange 0.60
    75 yellow 0.73
    100 green 0.88
    100 blue 1.00
    120 purple 1.14
    2 model 500 pink 1.14

Planet waves Super Pick (plastic with little rubberized grip)

10 heavy black
    20 medium blue
    10 thin red

Fender

10 california clears medium

1 person likes this.
  7. Jim

Jim Banned

Colchar, i'll take
    Dunlop Nylon Standard dark grey .73 gauge X 32
    PM me for info.

I have a bunch of assorted picks... mostly Dunlop Tortex Orange (whatever gauge that is lol) And a few fun little Pick Of Destiny copies that i'll gladly give away.

8. Thundergod

Thundergod Senior Member

Jim, I'll take some pick of destiny thingies, you want some tortexes? :thumb:

9. colchar

colchar Banned

I take it you mean a couple of each and not my entire stash right?

3 people like this.
  10. Thundergod

Thundergod Senior Member

Jim didn't read the thread rules. :laugh2:

2 people like this.
  11. vj6pac

vj6pac Senior Member

can i put my hand up for 1x each of the Planet waves Super Pick's and 1x Fender california clears medium if postage to Australia is ok.

12. Electroman67

Electroman67 Senior Member

Great idea and very unique to have someone so nice do such a thing Colchar......i have no use for picks but high fives to you bro. :h5:

1 person likes this.
  13. Jim

Jim Banned

sorry guys I mistook the point of this thread. I thought it was for giving away picks

14. Skit

Skit Witch Doctor Premium Member

It is, but you are asking him to give you 48 picks?? :wow:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. colchar

colchar Banned

It is, but as a way for people to get access to picks that they cannot easily find in their area. At least that was the original intent. I expect that people will trade picks but it would be cool if people would try to follow rules 4 & 5:

4) Please do not use this as a way to restock on the picks you normally use.

5) Please do not be greedy (ie. if someone posts that they have a dozen of pick X available please do not ask for the entire dozen – just take a couple to try them out and leave the rest for others who might also be interested in trying them).

16. Jim

Jim Banned

Yeah... there's nothing that isn't classy about claiming things that people are giving away. If they're giving it away, it should be able to be claimed.

17. joedonner2001

joedonner2001 Senior Member

This is a cool idea, although I don't think I'll be allowed to join in. I've been using the same Dunlop .73mm Nylon pick for 11 years, and only have one.

:hmm:

2 people like this.
  18. colchar

colchar Banned

So long as it is within the spirit of the thread. Asking for someone's entire stash of certain picks (almost 50 of them!) does not fall within the spirit of the thread. Read the original post to see why this thread was created and the purpose behind it.

19. colchar

colchar Banned

How can you go to the guitar shop and not come home with at least a couple in your pocket on every trip? I've probably only paid for about half of the picks in my collection, and that is a generous estimate!

2 people like this.
  20. joedonner2001

joedonner2001 Senior Member

They sure as hell don't give 'em away for free at the guitar stores I've been to lately :thumb: