The Official Line 6 Helix Thread

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by AllTheSound, Oct 23, 2017.

1. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter V.I.P. Member

Exactly...

BBD likes this.
  2. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Senior Member

Spent a good bit of time with the new Line 6 HXFX at NAMM ovet the past three days. It is a very impressive product!
    The HXFX does not have an USB Interface for Audio I/O! The HXFX's USB is currently for Firmware updating and for HX Edit use as a Librarian. This Spring it will be supported more fully by HX Edit for Signal Chain editing, etc.

For traditional pedal board, analog amp guys, and studio guys, the early response at NAMM, has been astounding! Particulary for those who already savor their legacy M9 and similar gear. The HXFX sounds even better! :)

[Addendum: Currently shipping units are running fw 2.40, as 2.5 was not ready. Firmware 2.5 is expected in a day or so (absent any discovered bugs). As soon as 2.5 drops, all hardware units in the Helix platform and Helix Native will have the identical Block Types, features, etc.]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  3. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Yeah there's no real reason to have USB audio as that device is meant to be in the signal chain with an amplifier as a pedal board. It reallly just strips out all the stuff the 4cm and pedal board users of Helix don't use/ care about to reduce the unit price! For those choosingto stay with traditional amps and accept modelling for just effects this one is a winner I think. I still want an LT but just renewed my mortgage and am finishing my basement development so it'll be a little longer still.

4. StingyCH

StingyCH The Bearded guy from Heidi land..

Just ordered one, Helix LT..I sold my KPA (toaster) since I've bought the rack version. I want to try the Helix and I found it at a good price new in a local online shop. I think with this solution I may have the best of both worlds since the Helix effects are head & shoulders above Kemper's. Tomorrow should be here..can't wait to try it :love:

Some between you guys have both too? (KPA+Helix)

Rocco Crocco, frankv and CaptainT like this.
  5. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

Updated tonight. That Friedman BE-100 sim sounds badass:)

StingyCH likes this.
  6. StingyCH

Stunning, can't wait to have mine tomorrow..

MusicLaw, frankv, Pop1655 and 3 others like this.
  7. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

The tuner is better after updating, and there is virtually no gap between presets now. Anyone else notice this?

StingyCH likes this.
  8. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

That's a great video!!!

StingyCH likes this.
  9. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

I felt the same about the tuner yesterday.

StingyCH likes this.
  10. James R

James R Premium Member

Ha!
    I forgot there was even a tuner on the damned thing, I’ll have to give it another shot now, I wrote it off within the first few days of owning my Helix.

I haven’t messed with the new reverbs or delay yet, but I had a few minutes to try out the new amps last night.
    My sweet mother, they’re good.
    The Friedman is awesome, just plain awesome, but the Mesa has me wrapped around its finger.
    Loving it!

I can’t believe I ended up with 2 new amps, five new reverbs, a new delay, and over 70 other “legacy” effects... FOR FREE!

That’s literally thousands of dollars worth of real world gear, and all I had to do was plug in and run an update.
    I kind of feel like a thief, but without the guilt.

I will never buy another physical amp or pedal, I’m forever a modeller now.

BBD, mmd, Rocco Crocco and 2 others like this.
  11. BBD

BBD Senior Member

To be honest they had me at HD, so Helix is almost too much :p.

Just starting to play with 2.50 right now, this minute...

CaptainT, frankv and James R like this.
  12. James R

James R Premium Member

Enjoy, man.
    I can’t wait to get back to mine, it’s going to be a very long day.

BBD, StingyCH, CaptainT and 1 other person like this.
  13. StingyCH

Same here..KPA & Helix, never been so happy about my gear in 20 years of playing :cheers:

14. frankv

I have said stuff like this for 2 years now. You will see more and more guys like us in the coming year. Mark my words.

BBD, James R and StingyCH like this.
  15. StingyCH

I know mate, and since this tech will become cheaper in the years to come (and more powerful) i believe it’s the future. It reminds me the 1st iPhone..people were laughing at it..look at them now..or tech into automotive, household etc etc..it’s a change for the better and it’s cool to be part of it :)

frankv, BBD and James R like this.
  16. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Things would speed up if players can be persuaded to actually sit down and try a good modeller. I was just the same. The assumption that it was all crap compared to real tubes was rock solid with me until I discovered that I was mistaken. It would be nice if music stores put a good modeller out for people to try. With a handful of good, pre-rolled patches for humbuckers and single coils of course. Then the scepticism gets a proper challenge.

James R, frankv and StingyCH like this.
  17. frankv

It's hard as hell to convince someone that has played a certain rig all their life that there may actually be a better way with a ton more options available. And to your exact point, most of the massive arguments I have had those years ago were with guys that never played the devices but had lots to say about them as if they did. And that drove me NUTS.

I also get the fact that there are some guys that do not ever want to change anything.. and thats fine as well.

I wanted to add... I have been so unhappy with so many amps I have purchased over the years. Some only lasted days in my house. Others were for sale the same day I got them. Still others went right back to the GC I got it from hours later.. The difference I now have is if something doesn't sound good or I just don't feel like playing a tone I have pulled up on my AXE.. All I do is change the preset. Very different experience and one that Fedex hates because I paid them soooo much money shipping amps around the country

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  18. James R

James R Premium Member

So, anybody wanna buy some tube amps?
    I literally have not plugged into one since that fateful day that I brought home the Helix.

I knew it was all over the day that my gf told me that she thinks I have a crush on my new best friend (which she dubbed “Felix”) because I not only spend most of my time with it, but if I’m not playing it, I’m talking about it. :laugh2:

frankv, DarrellV and StingyCH like this.
  19. StingyCH

Spot on! Before I always had amps around, try this and try that, lose money between this buy&sell madness of mine, all this to catch the "perfect" tone in my head. And the pedals? Tons of them, one day you're like "wow", day after it was on eBay. Now I can do that by selecting a profile/patch. I can play whatever I want to, without busting the bank anymore. And last but not least, I discovered tones that I always snobbed in my life, without buying another amp, pedal, cabinet etc etc etc. And we don't talk about having a lot of mediocre sounds, this was the past. Now with a fraction of the price of a top notch amp you can have hundreds, and top notch too, in a single unit. :)

CaptainT, James R and frankv like this.