The Official Line 6 Helix Thread

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by AllTheSound, Oct 23, 2017.

1. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Senior Member

2. saks

saks Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

AllTheSound and frankv like this.
  3. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

I am really diggin' the new Voltage Queen amp model. It is so easy to dial in a good sound.

I wanted to read more about the Victoria Electro King amp that it's based on. Turns out it is "an idealized version of the Gibson GA-40", which was the Les Paul signature amp back in the 50's. Pretty cool!

http://www.victoriaamp.com/portfolio/electro-king/

AllTheSound, saks and frankv like this.
  4. El Pablo

El Pablo Senior Member

I just ordered an LT today. Will arrive on 26th. As a long-time tube guy, I feel a little dirty. Almost like I'm cheating on the gear I have bonded with and love so much. Heck, I just acquired a killer Splawn 1/2 stack a few months ago. It's amazing. I'm just really hoping for the Helix to be a good plug-and-play solution without hauling the heavily amps and big pedal board. My back needs a break... 25 years after vertebra fractures and the arthritis is kicking in.

I have a New Years Eve gig. If I can dial in about 5 usable patches in time, I just may go for it. Wish me luck.

5. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter V.I.P. Member

Well my friend I don't think you have anything to worry about. Remember something. Everyone in this forum started with tube amps. Very few if any crossed over and then went back

AllTheSound likes this.
  6. El Pablo

El Pablo Senior Member

My back and creative juices anxiously await the journey.

7. El Pablo

El Pablo Senior Member

Ok, I'm officially in the fan club. It took me a couple of hours of tinkering, but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to successfully gig this Sat with my new Helix LT

I'll say this... some models really speak to me, others not so much. But for the four patches I've saved (clean, crunch, rythm, solo), I more than have the bases covered for what my 1/2 stack and big pedal board had offered.

I havent had the opportunity to really crank it up, but the lower volume ear cast is mighty impressive. For all the high gain options, it's the clean and cleanish tones that have me most impressed.

Thanks guys for sharing your stories along the way. It really helped me in my decision to splurge.

8. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter V.I.P. Member

I am not surprised. You tell the same basic story most of us have. When you really get a handle on the tweaking you will find there is lots to smile about and I bet you will never look back..

saks and El Pablo like this.
  9. AllTheSound

AllTheSound Senior Member

Congrats on your new Helix it’s really an amazing system. With a lil time getting it dialed in you’ll find it will cover any base you need. A New update expected next month will add several new high def reverbs and other new features.

10. El Pablo

El Pablo Senior Member

To cover my Cover Band Gig this Sat night, here's what I have settled on:

Clean - Fender Deluxe
    Crunch - Supro
    Rock Rythm/Solo - Line 6 Mod 2204
    Hard Rock/Solo - Archon

Are they perfect matches? I dunno, prob not. Do I get the goose bumps? You bet I do!

frankv and matthew bear like this.
  11. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Well, as promised, I came back, but now actually equipped with Helix.

I've just figured out to use the Helix EQ high / low cuts instead of those in the cab block! This could take some time... :)

12. El Pablo

El Pablo Senior Member

I did cheat! I downloaded the Fremen Big Pack. As others have expressed, my sound improve on an entirely new level. I suppose the 3rd Party impulse responses really help after all.

My gig experience was good. Both tonally and setup wise, it was very rewarding. I learned some nuances and spent some quality time today dialing in a bit (to better sit in the mix). I now have 8-core patches for my Cover Band (2 clean, 2 crunch, 2 rhythm, 2 solo). These cover the bases with great accuracy.

In addition, I have about 16 more patches that I find handy for inspiring song-writing ideas. Writing movie score "back ground soundscapes" is a lofty dream of mine. I think this will be extremely helpful in my journey.

Rocco Crocco and AllTheSound like this.
  13. AllTheSound

AllTheSound Senior Member

Very cool congrats! It will take a lil time and tweaking but the rewards are so worth it. those Eq blocks can do wonders. so many things for you to explore and so many cool new things coming down the pike.

El Pablo and BBD like this.
  14. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Baby steps, although several years with HD have at least paved the way. What I learned with HD:

Listen (and think) hard and intervene little and carefully = better tonez

And of course, be kind to children and animals.

AllTheSound likes this.
  15. BBD

BBD Senior Member

What do people here think about input impedance BTW? On the HD, I tended to set it at 1MOhm. Did you? Did you change it on HX?

16. mmd

mmd Senior Member

I experimented a bit early on, and just settled on the "auto" setting. What I DID do, and it seemed to make a difference, was set the input to "guitar" instead if "multi".

CaptainT, AllTheSound and BBD like this.
  17. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Yes, good advice, and I've been setting all patches to Guitar not Multi right from the off. As for impedance, I'm pretty sure at this point that for a consistent maximum gain and top end from the guitar, setting to 1 MOhm is just a touch better than Auto. IIRC the amps on HD were all 1 MOhm, as were the noise gates, but I'm not sure about HX (I need to sort this out but there's so much :)). Also, I tend to avoid gates if I can get away with it and often run into an fx block (eg. Tube Screamer) then the amp. In some cases, depending on the modelled fx, this can knock the impedance down if I'm running on Auto and I can hear the loss of gain and tight / bright elements in the tone. It's a faff, but I think time put in sorting this stuff out at the outset is time well spent. If you can't nerd out over Helix, what's the point? :)

mmd likes this.
  18. madmusicltd

madmusicltd Senior Member

So happy with my new Helix Floor, it is just awesome, I used it on a solo gig, and one with the band on NYE over the holiday! I am now just starting to build my snapshots, this should make things even better!!

matthew bear and El Pablo like this.
  19. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Yeah, for sure!

I only use one rig live so the input impedance thing isn't that important. I do agree different settings give a different sound/feel. Yeah, I'm using any gates anymore either. If I get a bit of hum, I consider it "reality" lol, and run with it. But my needs have always been simple....a PRS with 57/08 pickups, and a rig that has:

MXR compressor
    Phase 90
    OCD
    Amp
    Spring reverb
    Cabinet

That's ALL folks!

BBD likes this.
  20. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Less is more :)

Looks like we both favour the Rule Of Six (blocks, max). Per active tone, not signal chain, of course.

mmd likes this.