The Official Line 6 Helix Thread

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by AllTheSound, Oct 23, 2017.

1. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Thanks man!! That's the first single off our record, and has been nominated for "Song of the Year" by the Songwriter Showcase of America (who ever they are...still, it's cool, lol).

AllTheSound likes this.

2. AllTheSound

AllTheSound Senior Member

Wow no kidding? that is very cool! deservedly so i would add :)

3. mmd

mmd Senior Member

HAHAHA, yeah....

Thanks man! It's one of my favorites to play. It has a cool maiden-ish "classic metal" vibe to it. Odd that it has no solo, but I didn't feel that one added to the song...

4. AllTheSound

Happy Thanksgiving!

Helix Firmware 2.30/Helix Native 1.10
    “The Really Late Update” Release Notes

STEP ONE: Check to see what firmware your Helix Floor/Rack/LT is running: Press MENU, press Knob 6 (Global Settings), and look in the upper right corner of the main display.
    • Firmware Version 2.20.0 OR HIGHER?—follow the GREEN steps below
    • Firmware Version 2.12.2 OR LOWER?—follow the BLUE steps below
    Updating a Helix Floor/Rack/LT Running 2.20.0 or HIGHER:
    1. Download the all new HX Edit application here (this will also install the latest version of Line 6 Updater):
    2. Connect Helix to your computer and launch HX Edit. From the File pull-down menu, select “Create Backup…” Follow the prompts to create a full-state backup of your Helix (Global Settings, IRs, setlists, and presets).
    3. Close HX Edit, open Line 6 Updater, and follow the prompts to update your Helix's firmware. Helix will begin rebuilding presets. Wait for this process to complete.
    4. Close Line 6 Updater, reopen HX Edit, and from the File pull-down menu, select “Restore From Backup…” Follow the prompts to restore Helix to its previous state.

Updating Helix Floor/Rack/LT Running 2.12.2 or LOWER:
    1. Shut down all Line 6 software as well as any software that streams audio, including, but not limited to: iTunes, Spotify, DAWs, browsers, etc.
    2. Use your CURRENT EXISTING Helix application to back up all of your presets and IRs (if you want to keep them). For example, if you're running Helix FW 2.12, your current Helix application version should be 2.12.
    3. Quit the CURRENT EXISTING Helix editor application and download and install the LATEST HX Edit application, available here (this will also install the latest version of Line 6 Updater):

4. Open Line 6 Updater and update Helix to the newest firmware. At the end of the update process, Helix will reboot automatically and begin rebuilding presets. Wait for this process to complete.
    YOU MUST RESET GLOBALS AND RESTORE PRESETS, OTHERWISE HELIX WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY. DO IT. DO IT NOW!
    5. To reset globals and restore presets, turn off Helix.
    • HELIX FLOOR OR LT ONLY: While holding footswitches 9 and 10 (middle two switches on the bottom row), turn on Helix. Wait for the message “Will reset Globals and restore stock Presets, Setlists and IRs...“ to appear and let go.
    • HELIX RACK ONLY: While holding knobs 5 and 6 below the screen, turn on Helix Rack. Wait for the message “Will reset Globals and restore stock Presets, Setlists and IRs...“ to appear and let go.
    6. Using the NEW HX Edit application, reload the user presets you backed up in step 2.

New Amps (7)
    • Voltage Queen, based on* the Victoria® Electro King
    • Derailed Ingrid, based on* the Trainwreck Circuits® Express
    • Brit Trem Nrm, based on* the normal channel of the Marshall® Plexi Tremolo 50
    • Brit Trem Brt, based on* the bright channel of the Marshall® Plexi Tremolo 50
    • Brit Trem Jump, based on* the normal and bright channel (jumped) of the Marshall® Plexi Tremolo 50
    • Cartographer, based on* the Ben Adrian Cartographer
    • Agua 51, based on* the Aguilar® DB751 bass amp
    New Effects (7)
    • Distortion > Kinky Boost (Mono, Stereo), based on* the Xotic® EP Booster
    • Distortion > Thrifter Fuzz (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original
    • Dynamics > Kinky Comp (Mono, Stereo), based on* the Xotic® SP Compressor
    • Modulation > Bleat Chop Trem (Mono, Stereo), based on* the Lightfoot Labs© Goatkeeper
    • Modulation > Double Take (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original doubler
    • Delay > Cosmos Echo (Mono, Stereo), based on* the Roland® RE-201 Space Echo
    • Volume/Pan > Stereo Width (Stereo), Line 6 Original utility to collapse stereo paths
    * All product names are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with Line 6.

New Features
    • Helix FW: Support for HX Edit—Helix, Helix Rack/Control, and Helix LT now work with the new HX Edit application (Mac/PC)
    • HX Edit: Full State Backup and Restore—The all new HX Edit application can perform a full state backup and restore of your Helix, Helix Rack/Control, and Helix LT presets, IRs, and global settings. IMPORTANT! You MUST back up a Helix running firmware 2.20 or higher and MUST restore to a Helix running 2.30 or higher! From the File pulldown menu, select “Create Backup…” Click [Create Backup] to confirm. To restore from a backup, from the File pulldown menu, select “Restore From Backup…” From the Backup File pulldown, select the desired backup and click [Restore Backup]. You may choose to restore any combination of 8 setlists, IRs (including the index order), and/or Global Settings
    • Helix Native+HX Edit: Show/Hide PRESETS/IMPULSES List—Click the icon to the left of the preset name to show or hide the PRESETS/IMPULSES list
    • Helix Native: Plug-in Window Resizing—Click and drag the lower right-hand corner of Helix Native to resize the window and view more or fewer parameters and model list items
      • Helix FW: Global Settings > MIDI/Tempo > Duplicate PC Send—Before 2.30, Helix would purposely omit MIDI PC messages with an identical value as the previous PC message. You may now choose to send duplicate PC messages
      • Helix FW: LFO reset—Stepping on TAP once now resets any LFO-based effects, such as tremolos and rotary speakers
      • Helix FW: Support for Variax Shuriken banks—When a Variax Shuriken is connected, Helix’s Input > Multi and Input > Variax blocks will reflect the proper factory bank names. These bank names are retained until a James Tyler Variax or Variax Standard is connected
    Improvements/Changes
    • The Distortion > Obsidian 7000 model has been tweaked to sound and feel even more like the original
    Bug Fixes
    • Helix FW: Turning the Cali IV Rhythm 1 model’s Master knob down can occasionally cause an increase in output volume -FIXED
    • Helix FW: When UK 846 and Teardrop 310 wah models’ Level and Mix parameters are set to 0, ~3dB of gain can be added -FIXED
    • Helix FW: Pitch blocks’ Interval parameters may not be properly restored after exporting and then importing a preset -FIXED
    • Helix FW: MIDI clock could become unstable for a brief time after adjusting certain parameters on the Global Settings > MIDI/Tempo page - FIXED
    • Helix FW: In the Command Center, if an Ext Amp message is assigned to a footswitch, Ext Amp messages assigned to Instant commands may not restore properly -FIXED
    • Helix Native: In the rare case that all paths are full, it is possible to drag more blocks into them, which may result in the error “Failed to move item. (Unknown. [code -1])” -FIXED
    • Helix Native: On rare occasions, a warning dialog may appear during AU Validation scan of other AudioUnit plug-ins -FIXED
    • Helix Native: After updating from OS X 10.12 Sierra to OS X 10.13 High Sierra, Helix Native may not load properly in GarageBand -FIXED
    • Helix Native: After importing an IR file in a certain instance of Helix Native, the same file may not automatically appear in subsequent instances -FIXED
    • Many other minor bug fixes and optimizations
    • General stability improvements
    Known Issues
    • HX FW: In rare cases, MIDI note commands set to momentary can switch to “latching”
    • HX FW: If its Mid and Bass parameters are set to 0.0, the Cali IV Lead Amp/Amp+Cab model sometimes exhibits a decrease in gain
    • HX FW: If snapshot names have been cleared, preset names can sometimes appear blank when switching from Snapshot footswitch mode to Preset footswitch mode
    • HX Edit: In rare cases, moving a block from Path A to Path B can result in the Split block being created in the wrong position
    • HX Edit: In rare cases, importing an IR file into the current “Empty” slot of an Impulse Response block can cause audio output to mute Workaround: Drag impulse response files directly into the IMPULSES list
    • Helix Native: Recalling an effect or instrument rack in Ableton Live with Helix Native instantiated can mute the track. Workaround: Uninstantiate and re-instantiate the plug-in
    • Helix Native: In rare cases, clearing Helix Native’s preset library while the DAW is under high CPU loads can cause the plug-in to become unresponsive. Workaround: Close the Helix Native plug-in window and reopen
    • Helix Native: EXP pedal assignments may not automatically be assigned
    • Helix Native: The copy/paste clipboard may be cleared after closing and reopening Helix Native

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    CaptainT, BBD, wgwgibson and 5 others like this.

5. AllTheSound

Finally HX Edit has a complete backup of the Helix including IR'S! Just tested it works great!

6. saks

saks Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

yup, all updated zero issues

mmd, AllTheSound and frankv like this.

7. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Awesome!! Thanks for the heads up and directions!!

saks and AllTheSound like this.

8. joba

joba Premium Member

9. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

The update process has been greatly improved. Also, no need to reload your IRs after the update. Big time improvement.

Plus the new Victoria amp model is killer, and the new Plexi models are much fatter than the older ones.

saks and AllTheSound like this.

10. AllTheSound

Yeah definate improvements in the amp models. I gotta try the Victoria I have not been able to pull myself off the new Trainwreck express model it just slays! space echo & bleat effects are a lot of fun too.

I was happy to see they added scalable window and proper names for IR’s in Helix Native

Digital Igloo said the next version will have snapshots & midi control they are pretty much done and are in testing now. i think sometime in January they will ad 7-8 new HX reverbs as well. Can't wait , i ordered a couple of Lexicon PCM's to hold me over till then ;)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    Rocco Crocco, matthew bear and saks like this.

11. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

Ah! I gotta wait till tomorrow to update :run:

I'm exited about the space echo, it was one of my favorites.

saks, mmd and AllTheSound like this.

12. AllTheSound

I never tried a real space echo but i gotta say the new one in Helix sounds really cool! I don't think you will be disappointed.

13. BBD

BBD Senior Member

You're okay, matey. My Helix is in a cupboard awaiting 25 December. Which seems a long, long way away today. I feel like a flippin' kid again :D

AllTheSound likes this.

14. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Thanks for the thread, ATS. I'll be back, as they say :)

AllTheSound likes this.

15. James R

James R Premium Member

Exciting news, I'm off to update mine now!

AllTheSound likes this.

16. matthew bear

the space echo is great! it's a different interface (obviously) but the sound, quirky as it is, is there :)

I just made a new patch with the voltage queen and the 2204 in parallel... holy shit mang! put the new kinky boost in front and it's time to rock!!!
    :headbanger::headbanger::headbanger:

James R and Rocco Crocco like this.

17. matthew bear

kinky. boost.

:D

James R likes this.

18. James R

James R Premium Member

I'm stoked they have the EP boost now.
    It was my second favourite pedal on my old board, right next to the BB Preamp, also made by Xotic.

frankv and matthew bear like this.

19. Vortex

Vortex Senior Member

Looking forward to tweaking / creating patches w /the EP boost.

frankv likes this.

20. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member