The Official Les Paul Models Thread

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Guido, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Guido

Guido The Gweeeed V.I.P. Member

I havent seen any threads like this, so Im starting with one. Here, Id love you all to contribute to try to have info on all the Les Paul models ever produced. Im missing lots of them, so contribute!! :D

Les Paul Studio: Introduced in 1983 and is still in production. The intended market for this guitar was the studio musician; therefore, the design features of the "Les Paul Studio" were centered around optimal sound output. This model retained only the elements of the Gibson Les Paul that contributed to tone and playability, including the carved maple top and standard mechanical and electronic hardware. However, the Studio design omitted several stock Gibson ornamentations that did not affect sound quality, including the binding on the body and neck. A notable exception to this is the Studio Standard, a model in the mid 1980s that included body and neck binding, though with dot fingerboard inlays instead of more ornate trapezoids.

[​IMG]
    Gibson Les Paul Studio, Wine Red Finish

2. Guido

Les Paul Standard: In 1958, Gibson changed the top finish on the regular Les Paul model from the gold color used since 1952 to the Sunburst finish already being used on Gibson's archtop acoustic and hollow electric guitars. These Sunburst-finished guitars were later referred to as Les Paul Standards to differentiate them from the earlier Goldtop. The hardware specification was the same as that of the '57 Goldtop, featuring the new humbucker pickups. Today, the Gibson Les Paul Standard has BurstBucker pickups on the Vintage Original Spec models and Burstbucker Pro on the lower end models bearing the 'Standard' name.

[​IMG]
    Gibson Les Paul Standard, Heritage Cherry Sunburst Finish

3. Guido

Les Paul Custom: The second issue of the Les Paul guitar was introduced to the public in 1954. Called the Gibson Les Paul Custom, this entirely black guitar was an expertly decorated work of art, and dubbed the Black Beauty. The Les Paul Custom featured a mahogany top to differentiate the instrument from its Goldtop predecessor's maple top. It also featured the new Tune-o-Matic bridge design and a pickup with an alnico-5 magnet in the neck position. In addition, since 1957, the Custom was fitted with Gibson's new humbucker pickups, and later became available with three pickups instead of the more usual two. The three pickup model retained the standard Gibson 3-way switch so not all pickup combinations were possible. The neck and bridge-only settings were retained, but the middle was changed to switch in the middle and bridge pickups. A common modification was to restore the standard neck/both/bridge switching combination and add a switch to enable the middle pickup on its own.

[​IMG]
    1968 Gibson Les Paul Custom, Ebony Finish

4. Guido

Les Paul Junior & Les Paul TV: In 1954, to widen the solid-body electric market still further, Gibson issued the Gibson Les Paul Junior. Although previously the Melody Maker was marketed toward the novice guitarist, Gibson targeted to the beginner again with a Les Paul Junior design. Over time, this Gibson design has proven well-suited for even professional use.
    There were marked differences between the other Les Paul models and the Les Paul Junior. For instance, although the Junior's body outline was clearly reminiscent of the original upmarket Les Paul guitar, the Junior issue was characterized by its flat-top "slab" mahogany body, finished in traditional Gibson Sunburst. The Junior was touted as an inexpensive option for Gibson electric guitar buyers: it had a single P-90 pickup, simple volume and tone controls, and the unbound rosewood fingerboard bore plain dot-shape position markers. However, as a concession to the aspirations of the beginning guitarist buyer, the Junior did feature the stud bridge/tailpiece similar to the second incarnation of the upscale Gold-Top.
    Later, in 1955, Gibson launched the Les Paul TV modelwhich was essentially a Junior with what Gibson called a natural finish. This finish was actually more of a translucent mustard yellow through which the wood grain could be seen, and was not unlike the finish that competitor Fender called butterscotch yellow. The idea behind this TV Yellow was that white guitars would glare too much on early black and white television broadcasts, whereas TV Yellow guitars would not cast a glare. In 1958, Gibson made a radical design change to their Junior and TV models: with the design change came cosmetic changes to these guitars that would later take on enormous importance. To accommodate player requests for more access to the top frets than the previous designs allowed, Gibson revamped both these electric guitar models with a new double-cutaway body shape. In addition, the Junior's fresh look was enhanced with a new cherry red finish, while the re-shaped TV adopted a new, rather yellow-tinged finish for its new design.
    In 2005 Gibson worked with Green Day's lead singer/guitarist Billie Joe Armstrong and released a signature Les Paul Junior. It is modeled after "Floyd" his original 56 Junior. It has a H-90 which is like a P-90 but hum cancelling.

[​IMG]
    1959 Les Paul TV

[​IMG]
    1955 Les Paul Junior

Mantis likes this.
  5. Guido

Les Paul Special: The Les Paul Special was released in 1955, featuring two soapbar P-90 single coil pickups, finished in a TV Yellow variation (but not called a TV model).
    In 1959, the Special was given the same new double-cutaway body shapethat the Junior and the TV received in 1958. However, when the new design was applied to the two-pickup Special, the cavity for the neck pickup overlapped with the neck-to-body joint. This weakened the joint to the point that the neck could break after only moderate handling. The problem was soon resolved when Gibson's designers moved the neck pickup farther down the body, producing a stronger joint and eradicating the breakage problem.
    This stabilized version of the Special is currently offered as part of Gibson's Faded series in Cherry or TV yellow.

[​IMG]
    1959 Les Paul Special

Mantis likes this.
  6. Guido

Les Paul Deluxe: The Deluxe was among the "new" 1968 Les Pauls. This model featured "mini-humbuckers", also known as "New York" humbuckers, and did not initially prove popular. The mini-humbucker pickup fit into the pre-carved P-90 pickup cavity using an adaptor ring developed by Gibson (actually just a cut-out P90 pickup cover) in order to use a supply of Epiphone mini-humbuckers left over from when Gibson moved Epiphone production to Japan. The Deluxe was introduced in late 1968 and helped to standardize production among Gibson's USA-built Les Pauls. The first incarnation of the Deluxe featured a one-piece body and three-piece neck in late 1968. The "pancake" body (thin layer of maple sandwiched by two layers of Honduran mahogany) came later in 1969. In late 1969, a small "volute" was added. 1969 Deluxe's feature the Gibson logo devoid of the dot over the "i" in Gibson. By late 1969/early 1970, the dot over the "i" had returned, plus a "made in USA" stamp on the back the headstock. By 1975, the neck construction was changed from mahogany to maple, until the early 1980s, when the construction was returned to mahogany. Interest in this particular Les Paul model was so low that in the early 1980s, Gibson cancelled the line. However, in 2005, the "Deluxe" was reintroduced with more popularity due to its association with Pete Townshend

[​IMG]
    Les Paul Deluxe with Mini Humbuckers

7. Guido

Les Paul Studio Robot: In 2007, Gibson announced an idea to create a computerized Les Paul, dubbed the "Robot Guitar". It was released on December 7, 2007. The guitar has a computer integrated into the body with a "master control" knob next to the volume knobs, which can be pulled out, turned, or pressed to issue different commands to the guitar. One of the more notable features is the ability to tune the guitar to standard tuning simply by pulling out on the master control knob and strumming the guitar, while the tuning pegs adjust themselves to standard tuning. Another use of the master control knob is to be able to tune the guitar to alternative tunings, such as drop D, by pressing on the control knob to fit the setting. The new Les Paul has a new custom blue finish. While the product was advertised in the American popular press as a "world's first", similar systems, some external, have been in use for decades.

[​IMG]

8. Guido

Les Paul SG: In 1960, Gibson experienced a decline in electric guitar sales due to their high prices and strong competition from Fender's comparable but much lighter double-cutaway design: The Stratocaster. In response, Gibson modified the Les Paul line. This 1961 issue Les Paul guitar was thinner and much lighter than the earlier models, with two sharply pointed cut-aways and a vibrato system. However, the redesign was done without Les Paul's knowledge. When the musician saw the guitar, he asked Gibson to remove his name from the instrument and parted ways with the company. Although this separation occurred in 1960, Gibson had a surplus stock of "Les Paul" logos and truss rod covers, and so continued to use the Les Paul name until 1963. At that point, the SG guitar's name was finally changed to "SG", which stood simply for Solid Guitar. In addition to the SG line, Gibson continued to issue the less expensive Jr's and Specials (and the Melody Makers) with the newer body style. These were the standard Gibson electric models until the reintroduction of the Les Paul Standard Goldtop and the Les Paul Custom guitars to the market in 1968.

[​IMG]
    1961 Les Paul SG

9. Guido

Id be glad if someone could help me with some models Im missing:

-Classic
    -Supreme
    -The V.O.S
    -Reissue

10. Guido

Can someone say something...?

Im starting to depress...:(

11. captain tightpants

captain tightpants Banned

Not sure what you are looking for, more Les Paul models? There's...
    Personal
    Professional
    Recording
    Signature
    Jumbo, believe it or not
    Custom Lite
    Studio Lite
    MIII Studio Lite
    Pro Deluxe
    25/50
    55/77
    Spotlight Special

12. Guido

Yeah, I know most of them, but ... 25/50? 55/77 :shock: Thats what this thread is about, to try to make an index on LP models we would never know if it wasnt for this, like the models you mentioned above ;)

13. captain tightpants

Ahh, OK, gotcha. Frankly, I'm feeling a little lazy today, but I'll see if I can find you some info. Try Googling them?

14. Guido

:laugh2: All good bro! no hurry! I was actually doing this because at one time in my life I wanted something like this and couldnt find it. Hope this makes the forum better than before-If it can be! :laugh2:

15. im_b0r3d_

im_b0r3d_ V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Jumbo? Lol is that Buckethead's or something?

16. Boleskinehouse

Boleskinehouse Senior Member

There is a lot of appreciation for what you're doing.. R this, and R that, should sticky'ed, IMO.

I'm tired of answering the question!

17. Gunner

Gunner CEO Teen Axe Leader V.I.P. Member

Hey Guido, I think its a great idea especially for newbs like me. Im sure more knowledgeable members than me will come in and help out. Rock on.

18. coldsteal2

coldsteal2 V.I.P. Member

Les Paul Recording model

Les Paul SG Jr

19. captain tightpants

Jumbo...
    [​IMG]

20. im_b0r3d_

im_b0r3d_ V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

:shock:

Had never heard of that before. I know Buckethead ordered a custom les paul that was larger scale though, so :D