The Official Headrush Pedalboard Thread

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by CaptainT, Dec 4, 2017.

1. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

Again a little update on the performance of the Headrush.

Yesterday, after noodling over the BTOTM December, I tried to dial in a "Royal Blood" like tone.

This was the first time, where the Headrush came to it´s limits. If you are the owner of the Helix you might have found a preset with "royal" in it, it´s the Line 6 Version of the royal blood tone.

This song is usually played on a short scale bass. The signal is being split going into an octaver to tune up the tone, then it goes into a guitar amp. The second half of the Signal goes into a bass amp. This is the basis of the fat royal blood tone.

I tried to replicate this tone with my headrush for guitar.

I was Splitting the Signal into two paths, one going to an octaver, tuning one octave down and then going into a bass amp.
    The second signal went into a guitar amp.

I put a Whammy and a tubescreamer in front of it.

At this point the Headrush was at its limit. It wouldn´t allow me to add any more effects. There was no latency, but the system stops you from overtaxing the CPU by cutting down the possible effects you can use.

So if you are planning to use a lot of effects with octaving, the Headrush might not be the right platform for you.

Cheers,

CT

frankv likes this.
  2. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

As much as I like the board, it´s going back to the retailer now.

Why?

It sounds great, it is intuitive etc...all I wrote up till now is still true.

BUT

The DSP has not enough power for me in the end. I tried to dial in some of my favorite tones, which include multiple amps and POG like tones (Royal Blood, Bonamassa etc...) and I always had the issue, that the device wouldn´t let me add any more effects due to the DSP overload. Further it seems that the custom IRs are too much to handle for the board. It works fine with the standard cabs, but the custom IR´s (even the "reduced" ones) are too much.

It still is a great board, but I won´t keep it for that Price, if it doesn´t enable me to play all my favorite stuff with it. Such a shame...

I am not sure if I switch to a Helix now, cause I wasn´t a great fan of the Interface...Well, I still have PODFarm for the BTOTM:)

Cheers,

Thorsten

mmd and frankv like this.
  3. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter V.I.P. Member

^^^^^ Well, that the purpose of a thread like this. I am sure you have provided lots of info for those that were looking into this board. While you issues might not be those of another.. Say someone that doesn't use alot of effects.. your experiences are duly noted.

Now, stop playing games and get an AX8, Helix, Kemper or AXE FX. :jam:

4. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

I´ll put the money aside for now and save up a little more. Let´s see what the future brings, maybe there´ll be a Helix 2 with a Touchscreen or a Headrush 2 with more power:)

5. AllTheSound

AllTheSound Senior Member

Agreed though if he was put off by the lack of DSP power in the HR i wouldn't recommend the AX8.

6. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

After sending the HR Board back, I played with PODFarm 2.5 the first time after 1.5 weeks. Wow, I never recognized how bad POD Farm actually sounds XD

Now I need to get used to that again until I get a different device ;)

7. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

are you using it stand alone or as a plug in in a DAW?
    If you are using it as a plugin, you can always bypass the cab in Podfarm, and then ad an impulse loader and IR, makes a huge difference.

CaptainT likes this.
  8. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

I am using it stand alone. I didn´t know about that. What a great tipp! Thanks a lot, gonna try this tomorrow (Going to watch Star Wars tonight, no time for my guitar:) )

9. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

ugh, I'm not going until Sat, NO SPOILERS!!!!!
    Yeah i use to run PodFarm using ownhammer IR's and it improves the sound alot.

CaptainT likes this.
  10. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

No Spoilers from me:)

I bought the V30 IR´s from Celestion and they sound awesome with the Headrush. I am excited to see how they work with PODFarm!

Pwrmac7600 likes this.
  11. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Thorsten, that's too bad about the HR. I know you were pumped about it....

When you were demoing Helix Native, did you run into DSP issues? Just wondering because I am not doing a lot of pitch effects, or multi-amp/effect runs like you were describing. I HAVE maxed DSP, but it's through doing "channel switching" with multiple drives and delays/reverbs.

What DOES HR have for processors?

12. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

I didn't test Whammy etc. with Helix Native, because I didn't have the Hardware (pedal) to do it. But I tested the Helix royal duo preset, which is basically the royal blood tone and it was without any problems.

I think the HR has a quadcore processor while Helix comes with two dual core DSPs. I cannot check atm, because I only have my mobile phone at hand and the internet is insanely slow:)

mmd likes this.
  13. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Cool. No biggie, was just curious in the moment. I can look it up, lol.

14. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Are you splitti g your paths? The top two streams use one DSP and the bottom two use the second processor on the Helix IIRC so you may need to assign some effects accordingly.
    Native resources would be entirely dependent on the computing platform not the application.

mmd and AmpedUp like this.
  15. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Oh yeah, it's all good. We're talking patches with 2-3 amps, 4 drive pedals, 5-6 reverbs, several modulations - just over the top stuff. I only have the problem when developing patches for worship guys that don't want snapshots. In MY uses and patches, I have never come close to maxing DSP.

16. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Thanks for sharing an interesting journey.

CaptainT likes this.
  17. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

Well, I ended up with a Helix LT and I am more than happy now. Still giving kudos to the Headrush-Pedalboard. It is an awesome board, might still be the right one for some of you:)

(Still missing the Interface XD )

Cheers,

Thorsten

if6was9 and Pop1655 like this.