The Official Headrush Pedalboard Thread

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by CaptainT, Dec 4, 2017.

1. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

At the moment I seem to be the only user within MLP with the Headrush pedalboard, but there is a lot of interest and scepticism regarding board, so I took up @frankv ´s advice and started the official HR Thread.

I´ll be posting everything I´ll discover regarding the board, strengths, weaknesses and so on:)

[​IMG]

This first post is about the current state of the device. I´ll add my personal Input and reflections/opinions in the following posts.

How do you update the System?
    This is very easy and well thought out.
    1.) If you are using Windows, you´ll have to install the Headrush Driver from headrushfx.com
    2.) Download the Firmware to your computer and unzip it
    3.) Connect your HR to your PC via USB and power up
    4.) Press the ... Symbol in the upper right corner and select Firmware update...Done:)

Took about 2 minutes alltogether, very simple and easy.

How can I add Custom IR or Rigs/presets from other users?
    1.) If you are using Windows, you´ll have to install the Headrush Driver from headrushfx.com
    2.) Connect the HR via USB
    3.) Press the ... Symbol in the upper right corner, your HR will now appear in Windows as a drive
    4.) Pull the Rigs/IR into the right Folder on the HR drive
    5.) Press Sync on the HR display...Done:)

You cannot find the state of the actual Firmware anywhere, but when you download the update files you get a PDF with the Firmware history. This is the actual state, I´ll keep this updated in the future. (Version 1.2)

Since Firmware Version 1.1.1:
    • Added Octaves effect to the Modulation model category.
    • Added Global EQ settings to the Global Settings page.
    • Added the ability to quickly select and audition impulse response files in Hands-Free Mode using footswitches.
    • Added the ability to select IR (1024) as an alternate output on the Global Settings page.
    • Significantly reduced rig-switching time.
    • The current view (Stomp View, Rig View, Hybrid View, or Setlist View) is now retained when you power off HeadRush Pedalboard.
    • Minor bug fixes and DSP optimizations.

Since Firmware Version 1.1.0:
    • Minor bug fixes.

Since Firmware Version 1.0.2:
    • Added 59 Tweed Prince to the Amp model category.
    • Added Air Vibrato effect to the Modulation model category.
    • Added More Wah effect to the Expression model category.
    • Added Panner effect to the Expression model category.
    • Added Gate effect to the Dynamics/EQ model category.
    • Added the ability to import .tfx (Eleven® Rack) presets. To import a .tfx preset, click and drag it to the Rigs folder when connected to a computer and the HeadRush Pedalboard is in USB Transfer mode, and then tap Sync.
    • Added the ability to customize the text on an OLED screen for a footswitch set to Stomp Mode. To change the OLED text for a footswitch in Stomp Mode, enter the Hardware Assign page, and then tap the outlined box that shows the current OLED text for one of the 8 footswitches.
    • Added Scene feature, which is the ability to assign a single footswitch to control the On/Off parameter for multiple models. To assign a single footswitch to control the On/Off parameter for multiple models, enter the Hardware Assign page, and then tap the Toggle/Hold parameter for one of the 8 assignable footswitches until it says Scene. Then, tap the Edit text that appears on the footswitch to set which models will be turned on/off when pressing the footswitch.
    • Added the ability to make fine adjustments in Hands-Free Mode by using the two bottom-right footswitches labeled – and +.
    • Added the ability to delete models from the main screen by dragging and dropping them onto a Drag to Delete bar that appears at the bottom of the screen.
    • Added the ability to select 44.1kHz as a sample rate for USB Audio.
    • Added the ability to use a search bar for faster access to finding rigs while creating or editing a setlist.
    • Minor bug fixes and DSP optimizations.

Since Firmware Version 1.0.1:
    • Added Screen Lock feature. This feature disables the touchscreen, and gives you a simple interface that shows your current rig name, setlist name, and a customizable image. To customize the Screen Lock image, while the HeadRush Pedalboard is in USB Transfer mode, place a .png, .bmp, .jpg, or .jpeg file named LockScreenLogo in the root directory of the HeadRush drive. We recommend using a 800x400-pixel image (it will be automatically scaled to this size after transferring it).
    • Added the ability to place the looper before or after your signal chain. This gives you the ability to record a riff, and then place it before the signal chain so you can sculpt your rig’s sound without having to physically play the riff over and over again. To set the looper’s location, while viewing the looper on the touchscreen, turn the third parameter knob (Loc) to place it before (Pre) or after (Post) the signal chain.
    • Added ability to truncate impulse response (IR) files to 1024 samples. When your IRs are truncated, they require fewer DSP resources, which frees up more resources to load additional models and/or IRs to each rig. To load a truncated IR, select IR 1024 instead of the normal IR setting when adding an IR to a rig.
    • Added the ability to enable or disable confirmation messages that appear while changing your rig. To enable or disable these messages, enter the Global Settings screen and set Reminders > Confirm Unsaved to On (enabled) or Off (disabled).
    • Added Side Comp effect to the Dynamics/EQ model category. This is a side-chain compressor effect, which uses the HeadRush Pedalboard’s effects return as the side-chain input. Note: When this effect is in your signal chain, the FX Loop will be disabled. • Minor bug fixes and DSP optimizations.

Since Firmware Version 1.0.0:
    • Enabled USB audio recording and reamping features. Important Note for Windows Users: Visit headrushfx.com/support and download and install the latest Windows driver before using the USB Audio feature.
    • Minor bug fixes.

If you want special infos or have questions, feel free to ask them here, I´ll try to answer them or test stuff out in the evening:)

Cheers,

Thorsten

AllTheSound and saks like this.
  2. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

So, now some words about what my experiences are after around 7-10 hours of using the Headrush. I am still in honeymoon, but hey, who cares XD
    The Helix floor is now at the same price as the Headrush in Germany right now, but I´ll definitelly keep the HR, cause I already love it and I don´t regret spending so much money on it:)

I´ll share my findings with you and update it in the future.

I am starting with the negatives:

1. The presets are more or less useless, but I see them more as a way of showing different combinations/functions in the HR, so I am ok with it

2. The IRs are ok, but the custom IRs are a significant improvement (I am using some Glen Delaune/Ola Englund/Celestion stuff)

3. The Information on the Website is scarce. I didn´t find a Forum or something like that.

Now the positives:

1. The Tuner...yes, really, the display is so massive, I can read it while doing backflips on my monitor box XD

WP_20171204_20_12_12_Pro (2).jpg

2. The Touch Screen. (no surprise here) The Screen protector is still applied, but it works smoothly and flawlessly. Great!

3. The overall construction. It´s build like a tank. Massive, a little heavy and very solid.

4. The knobs and buttons feel very solid too, the have a nice feel to it and they roll up and down smoothly

5. Addicitveness...Once you start, you cannot stop...It´s such a fun tool, I cannot stop playing around and experiencing new tones. I didn´t have that much fun in a Long time

6. Ease of use, display of your signal chain. I am a longtime POD Farm user. If you like POD Farm, you´ll love the headrush. The amps are displayed in a similar way and it´s so easy to see what you have dialed in. Changes are easily made with a touch :)

7. Audio Interface. I use it as an Audio Interface, I plug in the USB, choose "Live" mode in the global Settings (takes around 2 seconds) and I am ready to jam to tracks on my PC or to backings from YouTube. Very nice feature!

8. Different Volume for AUX/PHONE/MASTER. Three different volume knobs are very nice to dial in volumes if you are using the different Outputs/Inputs. And yes, there is an AUX Input on the back which is great for MP3 jamming without a PC.

9. The Scribble strips! They are similar to the ones on the Helix but I find them easier to read. What I like better on the Helix are the coloured rings around the footswitches. The HR has coloured stripes, but I find them a little distracting.

10. The Expression pedal feels great. I never had a Whammy before, but yesterday I coulnd´t stop to "whammy" around, soooo much fun XD

11. Sound. Well, sound is subjective, but I like it. If you watch the Demos from Marco Fanton on YouTube. He has tones for Ax8, Helix and Headrush...they all sound great, so I have the opinion that all modellers are great, they just appeal to different users/players. The HR was the right choice for me. You´re the only person knowing if it´s the right choice for you too:)

Would I recommend it to a friend?...oooooh YES!!! XD

Cheers guys:)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    mmd, Pop1655, saks and 2 others like this.
  3. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Awesome posts my friend. This room needed this thread and you did it right...

AllTheSound, mmd, saks and 1 other person like this.
  4. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Yes he did

mmd, frankv and CaptainT like this.
  5. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

Here are some pics of the user interface and one of my new favorite features, the "Setlist":)

Setting up a setlist, for example for your Coverband gig is pretty easy. At first you have to create your presets (HR calls them Rigs)

From the starting screen...

WP_20171204_20_13_09_Pro (2).jpg

...you press the three stripes on the upper left corner, not the three dots shown on the foto.

This opens the following menu

WP_20171204_20_14_09_Pro (2).jpg

You can then either create a new setlist by pressing the three dots in the upper right corner or take an already existing one, like my "Coverband" setlist

This brings you to the setlist menu

WP_20171204_20_14_22_Pro (2).jpg

On the top, highlighted in green is the setlist name.

The list on the left shows all the available Rigs. you can either scroll or use the magnifying glass symbol which opens a virtual keyboard to type in the name of your rig.

The list on the right shows the Rigs that are already part of the chosen setlist

WP_20171204_20_14_29_Pro (2).jpg

Simply drag your chosen rig into the setlist and you are done. You can move the songs within the setlist.

When you choose the setlist later at your gig, you are only able to switch between the rigs in the setlist. The other rigs will not appear. Works very good:)

I love this feature XD

The following pics show the possible "Global Settings" for those of you that are interested in the more technical aspects of the Headrush:)

WP_20171204_20_13_17_Pro (2).jpg
    WP_20171204_20_13_33_Pro (2).jpg
    WP_20171204_20_13_41_Pro (2).jpg

To be continued...

,...but right now I´ll be playing XD

Cheers,

Thorsten

frankv likes this.
  6. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

Here is my first recorded rig test. Please be gentle, I learned the Back in Black intro five minutes ago XD

This is a Plexi Rig with onboard IR, it´s a little bass heavy, but sounds ok. Needs a little more work:)

https://soundcloud.com/user-188172975/plexi-test

AmpedUp, ttbit and frankv like this.
  7. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Were you on the neck pick up there? I assume a Les Paul.. Yes?

Tone was there. I am glad you got the recording setup.

AmpedUp and CaptainT like this.
  8. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

Knaggs Kenai, it´s rather PRSish and it was the bridge Pickup, Bass on the Amp was on 56%, don´t know why it´s so bass heavy

frankv likes this.
  9. frankv

Yeah, it was very bassy.. So much so that I thought that was the neck of an LP at times. You want to roll that bass off and try again.

CaptainT likes this.
  10. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

Yeah, going to do that tomorrow, right now I am tired again (2-3 hours headrush + 4 hours child´s birthday XD)

I guess it is something global, because the Rig itself didn´t have that much bass
    I might try a different cab/IR

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    frankv likes this.
  11. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

Sounded like you were getting some good plexi sound closer to the dusty spots. :) :) :)

CaptainT likes this.
  12. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

I asked Marco Fanton about the issue (I bought the patch from him to check how he dials them in:) ). He told me that HR doesn´t save the IR Settings when transferring Rigs. So I´ll have to adjust Low and High Cut of the IR in the evening, then it should work. Gonna try that tonight

frankv likes this.
  13. frankv

So if it doesn't save the IR settings how does it load IR's?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  14. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

I just checked, it loads the correct IR (e.g. Celestion Greenback with SM57, but it doesn´t remember the correct values for Gain, HighCut, LoCut

After adjusting the High and Low Cut, it sounds way better. I choose a different IR too, which I liked better.

I might get the IRs of my favorite Celestion Speakers from Celestion, they seem to be pretty good.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    frankv likes this.
  15. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

Haha, it´s true what they say about RTFM:)

I just read the Manual and found this:

"Cable Channel: Place your cables under and through this indent on the underside of the HeadRush Pedalboard

to keep your stage clutter-free and prevent people from tripping over cables"

Unbenfgdfgannt.png

The funny things is that I thought there should be a better way to place my cables...well, there is XD

Cheers,

CT

AmpedUp and frankv like this.
  16. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

I just bought the Celestion V30 Package for around 35$ and tried some with my Plexi-Rig on the Headrush...wow...the difference is jawdropping. I am working on a tone for our "The Darkness - I believe in a Thing called love" cover and it sounds way better than before with the standard CabSim. Amazing. Best 35$ I spent in a long time:)

My favorite so far is the 4x12 SM57 loGain Version...I simply cannot describe how much better this sounds:)

AmpedUp likes this.
  17. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

Please ignore the playing, this was my first take on the new BOTM, but it was more a test for my new patch:) Some parts are pretty horrible XD

But the rig sounds way better now to my ears.

https://soundcloud.com/user-188172975/plexi-test-2

This is now a Plexi Rig with a Celestion V30 IR 4x12

ttbit, AmpedUp and frankv like this.
  18. frankv

You keep that up. You show nice feeling in your playing brother..

ttbit, AmpedUp and CaptainT like this.
  19. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

Captain, that sounds really good.

ttbit and CaptainT like this.
  20. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

Thanks guys!

AmpedUp likes this.