The Official Axe-Fx II Thread

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by IronWeso, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

Yes I run my spdif into my protools interface. You have to create your session at 48k and sweet the axe fx as the master clock. And you're good to go. In order to avoid the pops and clocks the axe MUST be set as the master clock. And yes I run mine through a power conditioner.

2. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

Thanks, so I thought I read on the newer ones this was no longer necessary. Or at least it would do it automatically. I'll see if I can find where I read that.

3. Pwrmac7600

Well newer or older they all run on the same firmware. So the older xl+ like mine would have the same feature. Shame to because I have a great clock in my interface but anytime I use anything other than the axe as master I get digital pops and clicks.

kfowler8 likes this.
  4. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

This probably explains the issues I was having with my Torpedo Live when using the SPIDF output. Thanks,

5. Pwrmac7600

If I am being completely honest, I have mine run via spdif, and analog for my older sessions that are at 44.1, and I have A/Bed the 2 connection methods, and the difference is pretty nominal. I think I sense a little more "air" in the spdif connection, but I still haven't decided if this is placebo effect or not, and I have never dropped an analyzer plugin on the tracks to compare.

6. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

Really the big advantage to me with the SPDIF is it frees up an input on my 18i20. I have a drum set mic'd that takes up 7 inputs. Freeing up inputs saves me the hassle of rearranging things.

Pwrmac7600 likes this.
  7. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

Got home late from rehearsal last night but still had a little time to setup the Axe.

Early thoughts/impressions:

The Good
    • The stock presets are very usable and are actually quite good. I found several that I would be happy using right now. I really only made it through the first 40 and also clicked on a couple higher ones just because of their names.
    • Initial impression is that the stock dirty channels sound outstanding. Amps that I'm familiar with sounded like what I would expect them to. I can already see a lot of possibilities for recording. This is going to be fun!
    • I was probably most impressed and surprised by the reverb. Reverb is something I struggle with in that I like it but often feel it causes the guitar to get lost in the mix. I usually end up just using delay. With a lot of the stock reverb presets, I felt the guitar was still upfront but you had the nice tail reverb behind it. A good balance. I'm looking forward to playing with this more.
    • After finally getting Axe-Edit (see issue below) working, I actually found it pretty easy to navigate and make changes. I've watched enough videos to have a basic understanding of how it works so it's been pretty intuitive so far.
    The Bad
    • Not sure if you'd even call this bad, more of an annoyance. I had a pretty difficult time getting it to connect to my PC via USB. I ended up having to reinstall the drivers and also reboot the PC. After that it seemed to work fine.
    • Even after getting the Axe to connect to the PC, Axe-Edit kept showing it was disconnected. I read through the trouble shooting tips and had to manually set the ports within the Axe-Edit preference menu. After that it worked fine. Not a big deal going forward but I've never had this issue with other USB devices.
    I haven't had much time to play with the cleans other than briefly. This is where I see most modeling amps fail. Initial reaction was good but I need to spend more time with these. I really liked the slightly overdriven Bassman. Some good stuff there. I also want to really crank it tonight.

So other than the little USB snafu, I'm pretty excited. Modeling has definitely come a long way.

Question, for the input meter on the Axe, should it ever touch the red? I may be clipping my signal coming in. Seemed like it was hitting the red pretty frequently. I know you can adjust this but wanted to see how you usually set it. I was using passive humbuckers.

frankv likes this.
  8. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter V.I.P. Member

Sounds like you are off and running. It only gets better from here.

Just so you know. The USB stuff is a problem for many of us and they have to be loaded in the exact sequence in the instructions

9. Pwrmac7600

As far as input, yes it should occasionally pop into the red on your heaviest playing. It should not stay constant in the red, but fractal says optimal is occasional popping into the red just at your heaviest if playing. It is not actually clipping when it pops into the red.

If you go on YouTube and look for copper Carter he has a video on setting input levels.

frankv and kfowler8 like this.
  10. Pwrmac7600

11. IronWeso

IronWeso Senior Member

Whew Axe 3 coming soon! Who's going to grab one? I'll probably sit with the 2 for the foreseeable future. It's enough for me. Recording like crazy lately!

12. Pwrmac7600

Got on the wait list the first day! lol The II is more than enough for my needs, but I foresee at some point Fractal stopping with firmware advancements on the II. That's not to say that if the II got no future updates that it would suddenly sound bad, because as it sits now, it sounds phenomenal, and if Fractal went out of business today, I would be more than happy with the II for my remaining future days of playing.

BUT, the III has me excited for what's to come. Fractal made so many advancements in accuracy in the short time I have owned my II that I really want to continue that journey with them. Not to mention the Axe FX pretty much cured my GAS for everything, except a new version of the Axe FX. lol

AllTheSound, IronWeso and frankv like this.
  13. cmjohnson

cmjohnson Senior Member

I just received my Axe-FX II yesterday. I had absolutely zero trouble connecting it to my laptop and updating the firmware to Quantum 9.04 (latest) and have had absolutely no connection issues at all. But I'm kind of ashamed to admit that I'm using my Macbook instead of my Dell laptop. I don't want to be an Apple guy but the LCD backlight on my Dell is getting flaky so I kind of had to use the mac, which admittedly has worked flawlessly except that one part where it crashed so hard it shut itself off. (Yes, Macs crash, too.)

The default tones out of the amp are good to excellent. With a few tweaks they only get better from there. But I'm only just getting started, one day into owning it.

Given the price and the versatility, I imagine that any halfway serious guitar player would have far more reasons to get an amp like this than to NOT get one.

Pwrmac7600 and frankv like this.
  14. StingyCH

StingyCH The Bearded guy from Heidi land..

For you guys: STL tones just released their Artist (signature) and Producer bundles for the AXE FX:

STL Tones AXE FX Bundles

I use some of their profiles in my Kemper, especially the ambience ones..and well, they're sublime I have to say..check them out ;) :)

frankv likes this.
  15. StingyCH

StingyCH The Bearded guy from Heidi land..

A clip for you guys :)...p.s...that Mayones :love:

frankv likes this.
  16. IronWeso

IronWeso Senior Member

Spent the morning with my cousin recording bass into my computer via the Axe. Man, recording is SO easy with this brilliant device. I have pro sounding bass and guitar tracks. With EZ Drummer I can easily create demo songs. I've been doing a lot of writing and now have 7 demo songs in the works. No lyrics or vocals yet, but its a start of something. Not sure what yet. Maybe an original band on the horizon for me.

Pwrmac7600 and frankv like this.
  17. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

Thinking of selling my Axe Fx II XL+. Bought it new in Nov 2017 and never left the house. Not sure what I should ask for it.

18. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

trade for a kemper? :naughty:

I have been really considering selling my kemper, because the Helix is getting most of my time... and naturally, I am curious about fractal like a proper GAS suffering player would be :laugh2:

19. Pwrmac7600

Honestly, if I were you I would wait to sell. right now the market is flooded with guys selling their II's to buy the III. meanwhile Fractal is still offering them out blowout of 1699.00. which kills used resale value. Once they run out of the last stock, I think used pricing will go back up and you'll be able to get considerably more for a used II. Right now if you sell you're going to have to be below Fractals 1699 sale price. Just my .02.

20. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter V.I.P. Member

$1295 is the price. In my case I pay rent for 2 years