The Official Axe-Fx II Thread

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by IronWeso, Jan 23, 2016.

1. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

Thanks for the info!!!

NeubyWanKaneuby likes this.
  2. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

I'm having fun with the Axe FX but honestly I'm disappointed with their Friedman and Orange models. I own a real BE100 and several Orange amps and you can't make any comparison between the actual amp and the model. The BE100 is probably my favorite amp ever made and know matter how much I mess around with it on the Axe Edit program, I just can't get it to sound like the real thing. Maybe they'll add the Butterslax model one day.

3. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

I don't own a Friedman amp, but one of the reasons I bought my AX8 was for the Friedman models. Fractal, to my ears, had the best "Marshall-type" sound of all "modelers" I heard and played with. This is not including Kemper profiling.

I heard a BE100 cranked, and it is incredible. I don't have a high powered FRFR to emulate that, nor do I plan on trying. :) :)

Are you saying they don't sound the same when "mic'd" or in the room? I am curious as you have REAL experience with that amp.

4. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

I've never mic'd my Friedman. I play is through a 4x12 or 2x12, sometimes both. When I use the model, I play it through a 2x12 powered FRFR cab. I can't say anything about the other Friedman models because I don't own any of their other stuff.

I also own a JCM 800 2203x and I think Fractal does well with JCM 800 models.

ttbit likes this.
  5. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

^^^ It does well with Friedman and Orange as well. I have some presets that will light you up if you care to find them. They are from the Freman personal preset collection and feature 5 scenes that blows away the factory Friedman stuff.

It is just a matter of setting the Fractal and choosing the best cabinet IR for the task.

Here is what I mean when I say its a matter of the settings. Take a look at this Friedman Preset.

[​IMG]

Messing around with AXE EDIT and knowing what you are doing is two different things. I would suggest you go to AXE EXCHANGE and download a few patches made by guys that know what they are doing.. To be honest. I am not one of those that know AXE EDIT settings inside and out as I don't care. I have a thousand presets to play.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    ttbit likes this.
  6. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

Curious to see how you would like the BE model if you turned cab sims off and ran it into your 4x12. Wonder if it would get any closer for you.

frankv likes this.
  7. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

I have no way to test that. I don't own a power amp and I don't have the cash to purchase one anytime soon.

8. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Go through the FX Loop on your amp for a quick test

Pwrmac7600 likes this.
  9. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

but
    at that point you will want to disable the power amp modeling as well. So if you disable cab sims, and power amp sims, and run it into the FX loop of you BE, that would give you an idea how close the preamp is to your actual BE. It still won't solve your issue of getting a BE tone you are happy with though, because if you have to use your BE in order to get the Axe top sound like your BE then it defeats the purpose, lol.

frankv likes this.
  10. frankv

Exactly... But depending how neutral the power section of the Friedman is... It may at least be a rough test none the less. Then you would try it with AMP sims on to get a better idea

11. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

I'm a "dirty" player so I can't speak on the clean channel but my biggest problem with the model is I don't think the distortion channel sounds like the amp. I guess it's not a bad setting but it's no BE in my opinion. I don't know how to describe it but it sounds dull or dry.