The Official Axe-Fx II Thread

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by IronWeso, Jan 23, 2016.

1. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Removed the “Motor Drive” and “Transformer Grind” algorithms and associated parameters from the Amp block. These have been replaced by the new “Speaker Compression” algorithm. This algorithm models the interaction of the power amp with the power compression of the virtual speaker. The “Spkr Comp” parameter controls the amount of virtual speaker compression. This value defaults to 3.0 when the Amp block is reset. It does not get reset when changing the model. If using the Axe-Fx II with a tube power amp and conventional guitar cab you may want to reduce this value to 0.0. The gain reduction meter shows the amount of virtual power compression (select the Spkr Comp knob to monitor the gain reduction). Typical guitar speakers compress between 3 and 6 dB depending upon construction, age, volume, etc. The default value is conservative and yields about 3 dB of compression.

Note that the Master Volume control will interact considerably with the Speaker Compression algorithm as will the Presence and Depth controls. Higher values of Master Volume will cause more virtual speaker compression.

Improved Delay block. Also reworked the Deluxe Mind Guy, Mono BBD and Stereo BBD delay models based on the improvements.

cybermgk likes this.
  2. NeubyWanKaneuby

NeubyWanKaneuby Senior Member

My latest video. PRS 594 into Axe FX. Twin Reverb and JC120 models. EZDrummer 2 for the beats.

3. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Good stuff brother. Did you just get that PRS? I don't remember you having that in your stable

NeubyWanKaneuby likes this.
  4. NeubyWanKaneuby

Got it in a trade a few months back. It's one of my favorites next to my Ibby J. Custom.

5. caljoe

caljoe Senior Member

Hi guys, man this thing frustrates the shit out of me, I'm about ready to pitch it into the garbage. Well maybe not but I just had a vision of me jamming my LP through the screen on the MFC. Everytime I think I'm getting the hang of this thing something else pops up to **** with me. How the hell do you adjust just the preset volumes on your banks. Example: I'm running Friedman HBE, FAS Modern, Deluxe Verb and Double Verb. It seems no matter what I try to bring the volume of the Verb up they start clipping and if I bring the other ones down it seems to take something away from the tone. I've tried doing it with input levels, output levels, main output and they all seem to have the same results. I'll be playing live with it tomorrow for the first time in months and I really would like to get my volumes dialed in. I'm sure it's probably something simple, I just can't figure it out. Thanks

6. frankv

All you need to do is go to the amp block and lower the levels knob on the right side. Jezzzz joey.. Whats up with you asking a newbie question like that brother?

7. caljoe

caljoe Senior Member

Haha I know :dunno: I tried that with the Verbs but it started clipping, I'll try and lower the higher gain ones and see what happens. I think I did that and it kind of messed with the tone but I'll mess with the level knob again and see what happens. Thanks Franky :thumbs:

8. caljoe

caljoe Senior Member

That seemed to have done the trick, I lowered the high gain channels and raised the Verb's until they started clipping and then backed them down until they didn't. Everything seems good now. Thanks again Franky. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

9. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

Keep in mind you can always use the output section to balance your levels as well.

10. Pwrmac7600

try this too.

caljoe likes this.
  11. caljoe

caljoe Senior Member

Thanks Mike, this will help a ton! :thumb:

And I'm happy to report that today was a smashing success, volume levels were right on (thanks for pointing out the level knob Frank :thumb:). Got lots of compliments on how good it sounded. It was a good day with the Axe FX :thumbs:

Thanks for your help guys :cheers2:

KenG, NeubyWanKaneuby and frankv like this.
  12. frankv

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  13. NeubyWanKaneuby

9.00 Firmware is official

Mark I/II:
    www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/Quantum/9.0/AxeFx2_Quantum_9p00.zip

XL:
    www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/Quantum/9.0/AxeFx2_XL_Quantum_9p00.zip

XL+:
    www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/Quantum/9.0/AxeFx2_XLplus_Quantum_9p00.zip

*******************************************************************************
    Removed the “Motor Drive” and “Transformer Grind” algorithms and associated parameters from the Amp block. These have been replaced by the new “Speaker Compression” algorithm. This algorithm models the interaction of the power amp with the power compression of the virtual speaker. The “Spkr Comp” parameter controls the amount of virtual speaker compression. This value defaults to 3.0 when the Amp block is reset. It does not get reset when changing the model. If using the Axe-Fx II with a tube power amp and conventional guitar cab you may want to reduce this value to 0.0. The gain reduction meter shows the amount of virtual power compression (select the Spkr Comp knob to monitor the gain reduction). Typical guitar speakers compress between 3 and 6 dB depending upon construction, age, volume, etc. The default value is conservative and yields about 3 dB of compression.
    Note that the Master Volume control will interact considerably with the Speaker Compression algorithm as will the Presence and Depth controls. Higher values of Master Volume will cause more virtual speaker compression.

Improved Delay block. Also reworked the Deluxe Mind Guy, Mono BBD and Stereo BBD delay models based on the improvements.

Added “Blackglass 7K” Drive model based on a Darkglass B7K. The model was obtained with the Attack and Grunt switches in the middle positions. The Grunt switch changes the low-cut frequency therefore the Low Cut control can be used to replicate this switch. The Attack switch controls a shelving filter on the input and can be replicated using the Tone control.

ttbit likes this.
  14. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

I can't keep up. Thanks for the update.

NeubyWanKaneuby likes this.
  15. NeubyWanKaneuby

First video with the Q9 update. Sounds pretty good from my house.

AmpedUp and cybermgk like this.
  16. Pwrmac7600

well Quantum 9.0 final was just released a few days ago, and already we are looking at a new version coming soon. lol The man never sleeps!

17. Pwrmac7600

Mark I/II:
    www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/Quantum/9.0/AxeFx2_Quantum_9p01beta.zip

XL:
    www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/Quantum/9.0/AxeFx2_XL_Quantum_9p01beta.zip

XL+:
    www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/Quantum/9.0/AxeFx2_XLplus_Quantum_9p01beta.zip

Improved Speaker Compression algorithm so that the change in the speaker impedance is accounted for.

18. frankv

Thanks Mike. Without you reporting this I would miss a few updates.

Pwrmac7600 likes this.
  19. Pwrmac7600

I definetly like this one better than 9. it was a minor tweak that was made, but it sounds better. I thought 9 was a bit flubby in the low end, and this tweak that was done for 9.01 fixed that greatly.

frankv likes this.
  20. frankv

For all you AXE FX newbies and future owners. Listen to Carter list the power and flexibility. THIS is all you need to know..

For me, the absolute best there is in my world.