The Official Axe-Fx II Thread

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by IronWeso, Jan 23, 2016.

1. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

All those adjustments available is why AXE FX is said to be able to produce any tone from any amp ever made. And then there is tone matching. And tone matching of a recorded guitar piece too.

AmpedUp and cybermgk like this.
  2. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

OH YEAH. Great point. Completely forgot about tone matching. As to that question of making a Rockerverb sound like an OR, it can also be used. Tweak the Rockerverb close, then use tone match to finalize it to sound like an OR, from an actual OR...

AmpedUp and frankv like this.
  3. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

Just a heads up. Cliff over at Fractal has redone all of the bank A presets for the newest Version 8.01 of quantum. (which for those who don't know, bank A presets are the basic presets. Amp cab and basic stomp FX)
    Haven't yet had time to give them a run through, but from what everyone is saying over at the FF they sound great, and are now properly adjusted for some of the new algo's in the latest firmware.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-new-quantum-8-factory-presets-bank-a.127042/

frankv likes this.
  4. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

Heck....I finally went to 7.

AmpedUp likes this.
  5. caljoe

caljoe Senior Member

Right on I got my Axe FX back! They couldn't find anything wrong with it but it sure sounds better for some reason, It's not as bassy as it was. It may have been that I was running an old version of the MCF 101 Firmware so I updated that and that seems to have done the trick, I wish I would have thought about that before I shipped it off, but then again I'm glad I did because if it was something I screwed up in the EQ they fixed it and I'm happy, it's almost like a NMD:). I had them wipe everything so I could start from scratch. I don't know, maybe I had some Global EQ out of whack from the gitgo or something but it sure seems better, like I said, not as bassy and none of the presets are clipping like before. When I got it back it only had the 7.02 Firmware installed!? I reinstalled the latest version and I think I'm good to go, I'm not touching anything for a while, I'm just going to play and get reacquainted with it. I'm stuck on the JCM800 patch at the moment :jam:

6. cybermgk

Great news :thumb:

7. caljoe

caljoe Senior Member

Yes it's great to have it back. I believe everything sounds as it should now, the Deluxe Verb now sounds like my old Deluxe Reverb and it was never that way before.
    Kinda funny, last night when I got home I was playing with the headphones on and decided to see what it sounded like at really low volume through the FRFR's, sounded good but I wanted more volume so I put the headphones back on cranked it back up but forgot to turn the amp off :laugh2:, oh yeah just jamming away at midnight with everybody sleeping, probably played for 5 minutes or so before I noticed. Nobody came out and I didn't hear about it this morning so I think I got lucky :thumb:

AmpedUp, Caoimhin, Pwrmac7600 and 3 others like this.
  8. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

New Quantum 8.02 Firmware...
    https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-ii-quantum-rev-8-02-firmware-release.127619/

Release Notes:
    *******************************************************************************

Added (at Kirk Hammett’s request) modifier capability to the output compression parameter (“COMP”) in the Amp block (previously named “OUTPUT COMP”).

Added five new factory cabs (XL and XL+ only). These custom mixes represent a small sample of the world-class IRs now available from Celestion. The full IR packages can be purchased at their new website: www.celestionplus.com

Fixed bug where presets that use a User Cab(s) and were saved under earlier firmware versions might have the incorrect User Cab(s) assigned when recalled on later firmware.

Shai`tan likes this.
  9. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

Pwrmac,

Thanks for the heads up on that. With needing to reload the amp type to get models to represent the latest version, I've had to do some work on v8.??. They can change quite drastically after the upgrade. But has got to be said that the most recent firmware versions made a leap forward that I had never dreamed possible, particularly for lower gain tones.

Liam

Pwrmac7600 and frankv like this.
  10. cybermgk

Axe-Edit 3.14.2 is now live on the website and auto-update.

http://www.fractalaudio.com/p-axe-edit-software.php

Release Notes

New Features
    1. Added support for firmware Quantum 8.02.
    a. Added modifier support to the AMP block parameter "Out Comp Amount" as found on the Dynamics page.

Pwrmac7600 and frankv like this.
  11. caljoe

caljoe Senior Member

Hey gang, hope all is well with everybody, we are good on this end. I've decided to sell my Axe FX 2 XL +.
    I don't play enough to justify having it, it just sits and thats not right, I haven't even turned it on for about 2 weeks! If anybody is interested or on the fence about buying, send me a PM and I'll make you a deal we can both be happy about. The Axe just came back from Fractal where it was wiped clean and made new again, it is factor fresh and I haven't even tweaked a preset. I'm selling the AXE, Matrix GT1000 and the MFC 101 Mk1. Telling you guys first because you're my favorites :cheers2: It will be going up on the Fractal site next week.

:headbanger::headbanger::headbanger:

Caoimhin likes this.
  12. IronWeso

IronWeso Senior Member

Some Adrian Smith of Iron Maiden for you

ttbit, AmpedUp and frankv like this.
  13. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

The slide throw.... hahhahahahahahhahaha. Great stuff.

14. IronWeso

IronWeso Senior Member

Yes! I'm glad someone noticed! That's my favorite part hahaahhaha

ttbit likes this.
  15. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

Went for a look for these this evening, and they have been moved, but are well worth finding. Absolutely brilliant sounding presets, and a really useful start on an awful lot of great sounding amps.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-preset-bank-a-axe-fx-ii-quantum-8-01.127199/

Liam

Pwrmac7600 likes this.
  16. frankv

ttbit likes this.
  17. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

Great vibrato Frank! I think my son will dig this one too.

He went to a "School of Rock" camp last week. He decided to try the drums and is pretty good. Made us all look at playing music together again. :) I'll tell you....they are on to something there. Made me buy a bass so that we have everything we need at the house now. :)

frankv likes this.
  18. frankv

19. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

Sweet...

frankv likes this.
  20. cybermgk

If you use Axe Edit, the Axe is real simple to use. YOu have SO many presets that are just fantastic OOB, all you really need to do, imho, is use Axe Edit to select what you want (or search for presets with JCM in name etc.).
    You don't rreally need to tweak at first, and can sound fantastic. PLENTY of help for the Axe FX II here.

Kemper, is super simple to use. Biggest issue, is I recommend getting some profiles other than the stock, to really make it sing. Many great ones are downloadable from Kemper for Free, and I can give you some great ones to buy.

joba and frankv like this.