The Official Axe-Fx II Thread

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by IronWeso, Jan 23, 2016.

1. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

The new Eric Clapton Vibro Champ model

EC model was 5F1 with premier parts and cathode caps adjusted for earlier breakup.

Real amp

Fractal Model

Frankly, I like the Axe model better. I know what I'm doing tonight. Loading Rev 8, and playing an EC V Champ.

Shai`tan, Pwrmac7600 and frankv like this.
  2. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Oh my.. those Fractal lead tones are KILLA... wow.. How anyone could possibly fault that and now want 219 more amps with quality just like that make my head spin like Linda Blair. WOW.. that will shut some of them up.

The other obvious thing to note is you need to have a single coil Strat in your stable.

3. cybermgk

Me have 2 :naughty:

4. cybermgk

That Eric Clapton Champ model is pretty damned good. Just spent an hour and a half noodling and riffing with a preset I made with it. Preset took minute and a half to create, maybe another min or 2 to dial in.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    frankv likes this.
  5. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

...am I gonna be pissed that I sold my strat once I get this model in my AX8?

frankv likes this.
  6. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Forget the strat for now. Get a ssh Luke 3

ttbit likes this.
  7. IronWeso

IronWeso Senior Member

I've been away for a good while. Been recording a lot lately with the Axe and even playing my Modded marshall too on the side ;)
    Regardless of which amp I play, it's Axe all the way for recording

8. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

Quantum Firmware 8.01 + New updated Bank A factory presets!!!
    (New updated factory presets are currently only available for XL and up, but cliff says MK I and II presets are coming.)

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...1-firmware-release-new-bank-a-presets.126987/

All types in the Compressor block now support both Filter and Emph parameters. These parameters control the detector filtering. Filter is a low-cut filter and Emph is a high-frequency emphasis. These parameters can be used to tailor the response of the various compressor types to different material.

Fixed minor bug in Amp block output transformer modeling which caused slight attenuation of upper treble frequencies. This results in clearer, more chimey tones.

Fixed mistake in “Citrus RV50” amp model.

frankv likes this.
  9. IronWeso

IronWeso Senior Member

Yes auto update !!!!!

10. IronWeso

IronWeso Senior Member

I think the cab access is way cooler. Folks don't realize how many amps sound similar thru the same cab. But use the right cab or designated cab? Wow. Ppl always flip amp heads. Hardly anyone flips amp heads and cab combos. That's what you SHOULD do. And you can do it here :)

11. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

Lets hear the RV50. What other "Orange" models are there? Is there anything from the OR and Dual Dark series?

12. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

Working a double today, But I will most definitely throw something down for you and post it up by the weekend.

Caoimhin likes this.
  13. cybermgk

Also an AD30, Tiny Terror and AS 200B Bass amp.

But, one thing that still amazes me about the Axe, is the depth and number of tweaks on an amp model/block you have. It makes sense when you think about it. To properly model an amp accurately, you have to be able to set a value for every little aspect. The moral being, it is fairly easy to tweak that RV50, or AD30 to be/sound like an OR.

14. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

I used to own the AD200 bass amp, the things a monster. I sold it to buy my TV200 because it's a guitar amp that double as a bass amp. There is a huge difference between the Rockerverb and OR amps as far as the gain goes, maybe they're similar on the clean channel. The Rockerverb gain is fizzy and full of midrange while the OR is fuzzy and has more bass. The AD's gain is similar to channel A on the TV.

15. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

I too a little longer 10 minutes to upload Q8, another 10 to upload it again with the RAC12 unplugged from the MIDI port (DOH!), and then a few minutes to create and dial in.

Interesting model, sounded terrible with humbuckers, and then I dug out a good Strat and had a total OMG moment. Sounds amazing!

Liking Q8 except that I think it has reset all my input trims to 1. Luckily most of my commonly used presets are on global links.

Liam

cybermgk and frankv like this.
  16. cybermgk

Oh, yea, only been using that model so far with my Strat (on a strat kick lately).

17. cybermgk

Oh, I know. I have had ORs, and played a Rockerverb. My point was, with the Axe, you have SUCH control over every aspect of the amp, you can tweak the amp model in a preset to sound completely different. For instance,

preamp section - input drive, overdrive, Bass, mids, treble, brights, input trim, boost, low pass cut, fat switch,

Power stage - Presence/Hi Cut, Depth, Tube type, Negative feedback, Master volume, output level,

Speaker impedance curve - Low frw, Low q, low res, Hi freq, Hi res, transformer low freq and high frequency,

Power Amp Dynamics - Supply Sag, Tube Bias, Transformer match, Transformer Grind, output compressor

Preamp Dynamics - Preamp compression, compression type, dynamics, crunch, bias, harmonics.

Dynamic EQ - Dynamic presence (as in pushing harder gets brighter), dynamic depth, Character type/freq/q/amount/type

And that is just the BASIC parameters. There is a whole other group of advanced parameters, that include changing different cap values, saturation adjustments, etc. etc. etc.

So, though there ISN'T an OR 'model'. I am pretty sure you can tweak an existing model to be an OR.

Caoimhin likes this.
  18. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

That's pretty cool. I had no idea it had those features. Can you do that to all of the amps? Is that done with software or can you make those changes on the unit itself?

cybermgk likes this.
  19. cybermgk

Yes, you can do it to all amps. Yes, you can do it both with Axe Edit Software, or from the front of the unit. It's an extremely powerful piece of kit.

Kemper can do some of those basic tweaks as well, a good many, but doesn't go down to the advanced level.

frankv likes this.
  20. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

As an amp modder of the '90s and a little bit beyond, it is an absolute dream, and over the last few firmware versions just gets better. You need to know what you are looking for, but from changing preamp tubes to complete output transformer transplant, it's all just a click away. Any amp, any feature, any way of changing it. You do have to throw yourself down the rabbit hole, and it really is a wild trip, but so very much worth it.

Liam

frankv likes this.