The No BS Inlay Thread

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by pinefd, Sep 25, 2009.

1. btprice2001

btprice2001 Junior Member

Does anyone know which DJs would fit a Les Paul Classic, historic or vintage?

2. jonas 335

jonas 335 Senior Member

The 3 sets of inlays I got from phila.luthier were for 3 LP builds I'm working on, but I just laid a set on my 2003 LP Standard and they look so much better than Gibsons that I think I'm going to do a refit on it. I like these inlays...no, I don't work for them - LOL

3. slapshot

slapshot Senior Member

phil tools inlays on the left.inlays need replacing on the right.
    [​IMG]
    anyone with some 'real life' pics of the yellow ones?

4. Aleksander

Aleksander Senior Member

OK.
    here are some pics of mentioned Phil tool inlays. Since I'm still on learning curve I culdn't judge to spend ~$200 for retrospects.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Thruth and jonas 335 like this.
  5. slapshot

slapshot Senior Member

yeah the guitar I'm working on cost less than a set of retrospect inlays

SingeGrimpant and jonas 335 like this.
  6. Curlymaple

Curlymaple Senior Member

....any love for the ones used on Historic custom black beauty? Where can I get them? I need the last two pieces like the ones used back in the 50's.

PM me if you have any for sale.

Many thanks in advance.

7. expo

expo Senior Member

itchybro, jonas 335, pinefd and 2 others like this.
  8. JakeBluesRocker

JakeBluesRocker Banned

9. itchybro

itchybro Senior Member

Just crawled through the ENTIRE thread. So, before I go lay down and try to parse ALL the info I've shoveled into my noggin...

I'm getting an Edwards re-fretted. I am seriously considering replacing the inlays. I'm not terribly thrilled them but, there are LOTS of variations throughout this thread and I'm still a touch confused on which solution to persue. (Wasn't one of them a treatment by Florian?) I'm also curious about the lack of MOP examples. (Yes, I saw a couple ) I'm curious about the "Gold Pearl" set Stew Mac offers. (I'm NO fan of the "Classic/urnial" look tho' and would run screaming from such. LUCKILY my 91 classic was spared that atrocity.) Has anyone had any experience with them?

SO, in closing I would like to ask: Why not use MOP? Isn't that the look they were going for originally?

Thanks everybody. FANTASTIC thread.

10. DaveH28

DaveH28 Senior Member

My Dad had a Les Paul built about 20 years ago and decided to go with MOP for that very reason (and it wasnt easy to get all the supplies you see these days).....however, it just dosent work, it all depends on the light, in some lights they can look like the cheapest inlays in the world. i.e. just white, then twist the guitar a bit and one will pop out amazing, but the others look cheap or if you're really lucky and the sun is shining the right way, you will get a quick shot of them looking great, but generally it just doesnt seem to work.

Grecos have MOP inlays....i had one for a short while and it was the same. I'm sure other people may think differently and obviously no two pieces of MOP are the same.

IMO, best value for money inlays to make any Les Paul except the excellent replicas look miles better are the Zamm ones for around $20, i think Philedelphia luthier supplies has them......but for the unrivalled real look, HM's inlays are the best bar none and again IMO are worth the money.

Going back to my Dads, when the internet came about (to my Dad anyway) and I told him about people selling good inlays these days, he bought some Zamm ones about 3 years ago and has never looked back, they really did make a big difference to the look of the guitar over the MOP. However, I recently got my Tom Bartlett kit with the Historic Makeovers inlays in it....they blow them all away, any pics you see on the net do not do them justice.

:)

1 person likes this.
  11. itchybro

itchybro Senior Member

Thanks Dave.

Edit:

Now the conundrum is... Do I go with Yellow... Or .. try to dye to taste. (as the Edwards Page model is "reliced" up pretty good)

12. The Thruth

The Thruth wizzard MLP Sponsor

i like making my own inlays :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  13. nuance97

nuance97 Premium Member

How are you able to do that?:hmm:

14. Aleksander

Aleksander Senior Member

Where did you get it from?????

15. The Thruth

The Thruth wizzard MLP Sponsor

i just cut htem with hand saw, and then sand carefuly to the line :thumb:

i bought this material from great friend who had it custom made at mazzucchelli factory in italy (not retrospec) and i think it will be just enought for my guitar making in this life...
    you can also buy it from factory directly but i think min order is 300 lbs and price is quite high for so much material
    shipping is almost exspensive as material, cause it is highly flamable :cool:

1 person likes this.
  16. burstbuilder

burstbuilder Senior Member

i'm not much of an andy agenburst. anyone know where to get the special 60 watt bulb commonly used to age plastic's and mother of toilet seat ? i like how the edges age more than the middle it's bad ass..

17. burstbuilder

burstbuilder Senior Member

i got some really good pictures of your 5/3 mag puppys on this thread i need to give you some promo... i am adding a sound video of 2 identical guitars one with yours and 1 with long mag paf's..

18. Jmorris

Jmorris Senior Member

That's a beautiful guitar. What colors did you use for that finish?

1 person likes this.
  19. Sunburstman

Sunburstman Senior Member

Hey Aleksander!
    You can get a small sheet of it here for $25.00, which will make 4 sets of trapezoid inlays, I made 4 sets from mine and the pattern looks like what was used on 1950's LP partsforguitars | eBay hope this helps!

1 person likes this.
  20. landsharkey

landsharkey Senior Member

partsforguitars is Rockford Carving. Their aged inlay material looks interesting -

Attached Files:

• pfg.jpg
      pfg.jpg
      File size:
      25.3 KB
      Views: