The No BS Inlay Thread

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by pinefd, Sep 25, 2009.

1. pinefd

pinefd V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

First of all, I should mention that using celluloid for a headstock logo is not a great idea, because of the possibility of shrinkage. Most people...including Gibson...use mother of pearl logos on the headstock. Do an internet search, and you'll find several companies that can do custom made headstock inlays. And if you do a search for Tulsah on this forum, you'll see that we have a master at it right here!

Frank

2. nicudeemus1

nicudeemus1 Senior Member

what I was thinking would look nice as an inlay was basicly a minature set of those inlays in each space
    but this would be quite complicated

3. Damian Probett

Damian Probett Senior Member

Yes, it would be complcated, so, you first!

4. BrianGT

BrianGT Senior Member

I agree with Frank.....I dealt with him from the UK and it couldn't have been easier and his inlays are first class!:thumb:

5. TKOjams

TKOjams Senior Member

Indeed!!:thumb:

6. DaveH28

DaveH28 Senior Member

Not sure if these had been mentioned anywhere on the forum before,
    but i thought it would be worth posting the link

Les Paul Trapezoid Crown Pearloid Celluloid inlays | eBay UK

I think they're the same as the Zamm ones, they have the white backing on.

i bought a set and they look really good, it looks like they do small sheets of the celluloid aswell.

7. buyusfear

buyusfear V.I.P. Member

These new inlays Retrospec is selling are simply amazing looking.

I bought some on a whim, just to see how different they would be from my current 'old' Historic Makeover inlays (aka DJ inlays). as I kept reading about how much more accurate they were. And the photos I was seeing were pretty snazzy.

They are both clearly cellulose, and both types look great.

The Retrospec get the extra points for depth and more prominent colour striations; however, both types exhibit beautiful spines or herringbone type patterns.
    The Retrospec inlays dance at all angles, exposing their dark "figure", much like vintage inlays. Whereas as my current inlays look amazing, but can prove to be a bitch to photograph, without coming out looking just like white pearl.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Aleksander

Aleksander Senior Member

I've already bought set of the inlays and was impressed how good they look. The inlays are 10 times cheaper than retrospects :dude:

9. Rhubarb Red

Rhubarb Red Senior Member

Anybody have an opinion about this? I discovered this Chinese company called the Jiujiang Celluloid Industrial Co.Ltd. selling "Musical Instrument Material" and the picture on its website is the picture Frank took and is the one on the first post on this thread.

Here's the link: Plastic celluloid - MOP for guitar. - Product Picture From Jiujiang Celluloid Industrial Co., Ltd.

Did I understand correctly that Mazzucchelli, the original Italian supplier of the inlay material was bought by a Chinese/Hong Kong company? So is this that company? Is this the correct inlay material? If so, why did they appropriate Frank's picture to promote it? Is it a scam?

Tell ya: life throws up far more questions than answers!

10. MRJ

MRJ Senior Member

I don't know how authentic their materials are, but from what I saw their minimum purchase amount is 150 tons!

11. pinefd

pinefd V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Hah! Good question, Red! Yes, I see they were nice enough to put their watermark on my photo! I don't know what his product is, but shown in my pic, from left to right are Dave Johnson, Buzzy and Zamm inlays, respectively.

Frank

12. Dirk$Diggler

Dirk$Diggler Senior Member

Really? Would you please post some pics?

13. Dirk$Diggler

I got these:

Les Paul Trapezoid Crown Pearloid Celluloid inlays | eBay

Superfast shipping (4 days to Sweden) and super cheap ($ 21 including shipping to Sweden). To tell you the truth I'm not very good at telling the difference from all the inlays posted in this thread. I can see that some have a more subtle pattern and some are yellowish and aged. I could use some help deciding whether these inlays are worth installing in my 1999 Classic. I know...anything would be an improvement on a Classic but I wont go through the hassle of installing these if you think they look like crap.

I know the pics could be better but the summer is over in Sweden and the dark ages are upon us so you have to make do with these :).

[​IMG]

1999 Classic to the left and 2000 std to the right
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Big John

Big John tastes like chicken V.I.P. Member

Those above: pattern looks too busy for passable late 50's, but not too bad for early-mid 50's.

15. slapshot

slapshot Senior Member

i bought a set of inlays from phil luthier because well i needed some for an orville LP project i got with no inlays and wasn't going to drop $120 on inlays for a guitar that cost me $100.
    while they're actually quite good looking to me (wasn't going for any historical accuracy act) they took forever to shape them.
    now I need a set of uinlays for a 70s Burny LP that I think has celluloid nitrate inlays.

I'm looking at getting some nitrate inlays for this one.is it easier to work with than MOP ect if the guitars already fretted in terms of levelling?
    I see inlays being labelled as vintage & historic cut.is there any sort of template for these i could perhaps print out & compare?

16. 59er

59er Senior Member

nie guitar but i bt thats some illegal wood gibson sold you, i hope te dont try to take it back.

17. 59er

59er Senior Member

i like the golden middle ones

18. Dirk$Diggler

SingeGrimpant and CheopisIV like this.
  19. Rhubarb Red

Rhubarb Red Senior Member

A cool guitar (love the "not quite lemondrop" shading on the top) made cooler by getting rid of those awful inlays.

I've recently swapped out similar inlays on my 2003 RI '54 Oxblood that has a certified Brazilian board. The BZ is gorgeous but the inlays really spoiled what is otherwise a great guitar. I bought a set of Dave Johnson inlays (and they are the most accurate) as well as several sets of inlays bought from a guy on ebay called Zamm (doesn't seem to exist on eBay anymore.

But the inlays you got from Philaluthiertools look the same as Zamm's - I wonder if they simply look alike or are Zamm inlays being offered by a different vendor.

Here's a pic of my Oxblood before I swapped the inlays out. From L-R: DJ inlays (that went in the guitar), the original Gibson inlay still in the fingerboard (and that terrible piss-yellow colour) and the Zamm inlay.

[​IMG]

My opinions concur with everybody else on this thread. The original inlays are dreadful (on every level) and should be replaced. The DJ inlays are by far and away the most authentic to what Gibson used in the late 50s and the Zamm/Philaluthiertools ones are great budget alternatives but aren't wholly accurate as the marbling is too swirly and busy.

But here's why the original Gibson inlays are that yellow colour - the inlays obviously have this almost TV yellow backing which colours the inlay when it's glued into the fingerboard. If you're swapping out inlays, this yellow gunk gets left behind so scrape it out or it will simply discolour the new inlays. You can see the old inlays twiisted and melted (and yellow) at the bottom of the pic.

[​IMG]

Here's the 3rd fret inlay route with the yellow gunk scraped away. You can also see the translucent plastic pin Gibson uses for locating the fingerboard on the correct position for gluing (there's one further up the neck but I can't remember which inlay it's under!).

[​IMG]

Hope this helps the debate! :)

20. jonas 335

jonas 335 Senior Member

I just got 3 sets of inlays from phila.luthier.tools - ordered 14 days ago. They look good to my eye and I've been playing Les Pauls for 40 years. No problem shipping across the border although Stew Mac says they cant ship their inlays to Canada. Now I'm going to order a few more things from phila... I'm happy...