The No BS Inlay Thread

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by pinefd, Sep 25, 2009.

1. SG Lou

SG Lou Senior Member

I just ordered a set of Zamm's Inlays.

[​IMG]

Once they arrive i'll compare them with the drawings on J.Cattos plans and see how much of a difference there is if, according to sources here that Johns inlay drawing are accurate.

We shall see !

2. Metamatic

Metamatic Senior Member

Some years ago I bought a couple of sets of "vintage look" inlays. I still have one unopened and I've forgotten where I bought them, but they were quite expensive.

Does anybody know anything about those on the pictures? And where to get them?

They are yellowish as mid-50's LP's, not as yellow as the pictures shows, that's because the camera is crap.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's possible that the numbers on the last picture are upside down?

3. Knarbens

Knarbens Senior Member

Thank you! This thread is very informative! Always looked for something like that! The set of inlays below are the stock ones in my Orville! I took photos of them to create a highres texture for my Gibson '59 Les Paul model and worked on the color a bit in photoshop (the colors on the photo are from the original photographs, shot in the shadow of a sunny day)! I don't know what's the material of the inlays, but I guess it's not acrylic! They look quite good in my opinion! I like the pattern!
    What's your guess on the material? Any ideas?

[​IMG]

4. expo

expo Senior Member

Yesterday I played around with my three sets of Zamm inlays.
    I already had sorted out one nice combination, but then found out some news. :thumb:

If you sand the Zamms they look much softer, more like the HM, the shiny blueish white look will fade away.
    Also if you remove the white backing you get a second chance to find a decent pattern underneath.
    Especially on the bad flurry looking ones the backing hided the most decent ones. :)
    I used relative harsh sandpaper and than scraped the inlay with an exacto knife blade.

btw. My Zamms are definite cellulose nitrate, the campher smell is noticeable :D

With some shoepolish you will get really close to the HM.
    (except the radius shape on the sides, compared to 09 historic inlays, the radius of the side cut seems a bit smaller-the 2 big inlays are slimmer around the bow, it seems no problem with the smaller ones)

Jo

[​IMG]

5. expo

expo Senior Member

I routed my braz...
    [​IMG]

and after sanding i am really happy, the smell of celluloid and braz is incredible.:dude:

Thats how ZAMMs can look like:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Fletch

Fletch V.I.P. Member

That looks fantastic Expo.

For those that aren't aware, Expo is a first class luthier who should post here much more often!:thumb:

fletch

7. expo

expo Senior Member

Thanks Fletch, maybe not first class, but my first board :)
    ..we have to avoid OT..this is a no BS thread, sorry Frank.

Back to topic No.1

I inlayed it a bit sloppy and rounded some corners to create a vintage looking board.

8. inspectorted

inspectorted Senior Member

+1 we need to see more stuff from expo

9. Sgt.Pepper

Sgt.Pepper V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Those are Japanese celluloid inlays. I bought a few sets of thoese from Japan, and they're very nice. You can find them in high end Tokais as well.

10. jack briggs

jack briggs Senior Member

I know, I know, I know - it's not vintage correct, but I prefer the MOP inlays, myself:

[​IMG]

Cheers,

11. Ole'Lefty

Ole'Lefty Premium Member

Thank you, Mr. Briggs-me too.! O'L( I also prefer the "refretted" look, sans, nibs. When I get a replica off the ground it will likely have the "refretted by a Les Paul Barbarian" without nibs look-"reliced," so to speak.:D)

12. expo

expo Senior Member

13. Velswab

Velswab Junior Member

LG2! is that guitar up there made out of WALNUT?!

14. ksharpe10

ksharpe10 Junior Member

Just wanted to post. I received a set of the Zamms inlays, I compared them to real mother of Pearl, to my eyeball it sure looks good. Is that not what Gibson was trying to simulate originally? That is the 1st thing I notice on most of the modern Gibsons the inlays just do not look right at all. And they still want huge amounts of money for their guitars. Realize for what you spend on an expensive instrument, you can buy tools to build them. You can also save a bundle on tools by making them, like Fletch (carver machine), or some of Ex-Nihilo, Jigs and now videos. Well just my 2 cents worth. Thanks, for a great post.

15. FLICKOFLASH

FLICKOFLASH V.I.P. Member

16. FLICKOFLASH

FLICKOFLASH V.I.P. Member

Cellulose Nitrate Trapezoid Inlays
    Real cellulose nitrate trapezoid inlays. This material has the same distinctive pattern as seen on most Les Paul's from 1957 thru 1960. The thickness is 0.070" with the pattern running thru the material to allow for sanding.
    Working with the original manufacture that supplied this material back in the 1950's. We were able to confirm the pattern style they used and specify the color and thickness we needed.​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. boogieongtr

boogieongtr MLP Vendor

SG Lou, I just ordered a set of Zamm's Inlays.

Do you have a link to Zamm so I could order a set? I didn't see any in their ebay store.
    Thanks,
    Jim

18. bfcg

bfcg Senior Member

So is that it?!
    All we have is HM and Zamms?
    I know there are more out there on ebay but when they are shipping from Hongkong, I have a problem pulling the trigger.
    I am down to my last det of Zamms (blindsided myself) and we all know how that guy responds to emails.
    I need to stock up. Has anybody tried "allpartspipe" inlays? They are on ebay and I don't know if they are affiliated with allparts.
    Not all of my customers want to spend the loot on HM's. I wish they would because Kim is always near the phone and they always ship super fast.
    I have jobs but not enough inlay sets and I don't want to sell crap.
    Help me out.

19. pinefd

pinefd V.I.P. Member Premium Member V.I.P. Member

20. pinefd

pinefd V.I.P. Member Premium Member V.I.P. Member