The nitty gritty on the PRS DGT?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Iceman0124, May 3, 2013.

1. Iceman0124

Iceman0124 Senior Member

I've seen many very happy NGD threads on the DGT's, and while I've always liked them it has taken years for them control layout to really grow on me...but I suppose the time has come. Still prefer the classic triangular 3 piece look the best....

A few hours ago I came across a new 10 top/moons DGT online that is seared in my brain like no other guitar has been in the past...inquired of the price...and it was a bit less than my "set to fail" no way limit....after getting that price quote I suddenly found myself listing sevral keepers for sale....just need to sell one to make the deal happen, the others dont have to go as quick....

What I need now is the full lowdown on these, good and bad, specifically, should I have it setup with 10's over the stock 11's? I use 10's on everything , even my Gretsch 6117T in my avatar (heresy I know) as I can play siginicantly longer and more often on 10's due to arthritic hands. I also want to know more about the neck profile and how the frets feel....I cant bond with ESP/LTD guitars because of their huge XJ frets, but these are a peg smaller right? I also like chunky necks, and from what I gather this is more substantial than the WT PRS neck, but a bit less wide than the average PRS wide/X neck? How do you guys feel about the tuner buttons? Gotta admit I'm not all tha keen on those ...wonder how hard/costly to replace those without drilling and allowing the stock ones to go back on if I need to sell...

Its got a 48 hour love it or leave it policy, but going in tactfully blind, I'd like as much info before letting go of some keepers on a moderatly informed gamble. Thanks guys:dude:

Rhust likes this.
  2. VDeuce

VDeuce Senior Member

Love the DGT. So much so that I'm about to sell a nice GCR0 and buy another one.

They sound and play great with 11 gauge strings, but I put 10s on mine.

I ended up setting the bridge flat with the body (no up pull) and with a minor setup mine play fantastic. Big frets make for easy bends. The fret quality alone is light years beyond what Gibson does.

Sound wise they kick ass. Not quite a Les Paul, but I'm about bored to death with LPs anyway.

Neck is a little narrow down at the nut, but nothing I can't get used to. Neck shape higher up is very comfortable and much faster than a typical Historic LP. Upper fret access is obviously much better than an LP.

Love 'em. And they really are the only PRS I like. Good luck!

2 people like this.
  3. itchybro

itchybro Senior Member

If you can wait till Monday... I can tell you.. (C'mon UPS!!!) My "Standard" (all mahogany) "should" arrive then.

Anyhow, I posted this in the "Non PRS guy buys.." thread. David and Paul go through the evolution of the instrument.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3TFrJxLqxc]Paul Reed Smith & David Grissom[/ame]

It's a four partner but, if you watch it on youtube, each segment appears next to the one you just sat through.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing how the 11's work. I have a pal that is a great builder that uses that same scale. He puts modified Bigsby B12's on em (the "Notar" and "Wiltertron" models) with the 11-49 gauge and YES, it feels almost identical to my Les Pauls with 10's and a Bigsby.

As I stated in that thread, I've owned 3 PRS instruments (2 CE24s and a CE22) Can't deal with the two octave necks, as the scale throws me off and I don't like how close the pickups are together, and the 22 - tho wonderful sounding yadda yadda - was a gold top that apparently had real gold in the paint and extra lead in the body as it weighed 11lbs and change.

After watching the entire vid above, I'm very exicited about the way they've modified the coil split and the process of selecting and creating those pickups.

I've always felt those instruments were truly "voiced" for el34/kt88 power. Not that they don't sound ok through Fender type stuff but MAN they truly come to life through Marshall/Orange sorts of amps.

2 people like this.
  4. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

I don't know about how they play, but I saw David at Poodie's here about six weeks ago, and I can tell you they sound fantastic.

'Course, might've been them fingers, too. :cool:

1 person likes this.
  5. nicklee13

nicklee13 Senior Member

I am very much interested in the DGT. Thanks to itchybro I watched the videos of DG and PRS talking about the guitar.

About the tuning pegs - Grissom says he took six tuning pegs off the guitar and held them and realized they weigh almost a pound. He felt there is no need to add an extra pound to the headstock and he and Smith came up with the faux bone (plastic) pegs. If you ask me this feature is actually a plus.

6. Iceman0124

Iceman0124 Senior Member

I am so close to biting....sent them another email yesterday and no reply yet...if I call I know I will swallow the hook......

7. itchybro

itchybro Senior Member

This won't help... (Tracked on... an iPhone!)

The cleans at the end kill me...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMrbk4cveBo]DGT Standard with David Grissom - YouTube[/ame]

8. gilmourjunkie

gilmourjunkie Senior Member

frets are large, but so well done, you don't trip over them like some guitars. In fact, some say it actually helps with fatigue as you don't have to work as hard. I still work them the same way but I can see their point. I had Wildwood set mine up for 10's... 11's were too stiff for me. I really like the guitar. I do wish however, it had another toggle instead of the push/pull knob. Its easy to go from single to humbucker mode, but tough to go from humbucker mode to single... at least in the middle of a song. It appears the 408 config. corrected this. Not a deal breaker, but IMO could have been improved upon. Otherwise, its a great guitar.

9. itchybro

itchybro Senior Member

Gentlepersons... I am sadly...Nay! CRESTFALLEN I tell you!! To inform you fine folk that the cursed brown truck apparently came by @ 1:30 today... (His usual orbit takes him by between 3 and 5) SO... When I called and went through all the computerized jibba jabba, the mechanized voice tells me it's early enought for me to go pick it up and to wait for the UPS professional to call me....

Well they did: "He's a runnin' WAY layte. Reckon he won' be in buh aight er' nihn."

12 more hours till the doors open. I'll be standing there when it does.

10. nicklee13

nicklee13 Senior Member

Okay, I actually tried out the DGT today. Yes it is a very good guitar but I found the neck to be too bulky. It reminded me of my acoustic guitar. I know I can get used to it but it would take some effort and time. I tried Custom 24's with Pattern Thin neck again and that was more familiar. So my smallish hands ruled out the DGT for now.

11. David Mccarroll

David Mccarroll Senior Member

Always worth bearing in mind that the DGT was designed in conjunction between PRS and Dave Grissom to come up with a variation on the McCarty Trem that suited Dave to a tee - it might have things you feel could be improved upon, but seems to suit DG fine ..... :)

He is a superb player with absolutely wonderful tone - those of you not familiar with him - do yourselves a favour!

12. strat les sg

strat les sg Senior Member

I heard so much about the DGT that a came upon one on ebay a dealer was liquidating his stock so no return like you have with some of the others like MF etc..,it was a goldtop with birds ,I like it so much I wanna get the green standard in the vid,Im a lil more comfortable with the DGT than my les pauls,hope the standard will be just as good.

13. kaborex

kaborex Junior Member

I tested a DGT at a huge reputable store in UK about 3 months ago. The assistant rigged up the new Fender bassbreaker 15 as I was also interested in that amp. I absolutely hated the sound. Nothing seemed right but somehow at the back of my mind I was thinking that I cannot dismiss this guitar. The company has such a good reputation and I put it down to too many people having tested and abused the guitar or perhaps me not knowing the amp well enough.

Months passed by and I was again looking at PRS guitars online. More precisely Wolrd Guitar shop in Gloucester. I was intent on getting a Custom 24 this time. I them visited PMT store in Portsmouth and was hoping to test a custom 24 a CE22 and a DGT. They only had the custom 24 and the CE22. I did not like the CE at all. The custom 24 was fine and I could have bought it but did not. I drove home to London and that night I went back to world guitar website and pressed the trigger on a guitar I tested months earlier but did not like. Yes I purcahsed a PRS DGT 2017. I just fell in love with it.

It arrived yesterday and boy am I loving it. I am a Stratocaster guy at heart. My strat is 24 years old and I have never bonded with humbucker guitars. My mate has an amazing Les Paul and I love the tone he gets. Just never like it when I play it.

The DGT is something else. The videos below is just the Guitar plugged straight into my rectoverb 25 with some spring reverb from the amp itself. the amp's master volume was turned down to 2 as I live in a flat and cannot crank it up. Guitar heaven. The coil splits sound very stratty and the sound combination is amazing. The guitar is very pleasing to look at and just beautifully crafted.

I have no association with world guitars but when someone from a company is replying to your emails at 11:30 on a friday evening, you know you have found a company that cares. Mark Smith was very quick to reply to any queries and on a friday evening when the shop was already shut he was emailing me to ask what my setup preferences are. By Tuesday the guitar was delivered. Happy customer.

The following was recorded off a samsung s6 edge mobile phone by the way.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    Rhust likes this.
  14. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Hey nube, the OP posted this years ago so you're a little late! How many pages back did you have to go find this thread anyway?

15. CivoLee

CivoLee Senior Member

He probably used the Search function...

*newbie asks a question asked before* "Use the Search function!"
    *finds answer in old thread, puts in $0.02* "Thread necromancer!"

:rolleyes:

16. sonar

sonar Senior Member

My old Lead Super Lead was part of David Grissom's backline when he toured with John Mellencamp...

that's about as close I'll ever get to a DGT.