The NGD I didn't expect... Yes, yes I did.

Discussion in 'Fender' started by GibsonKramer, Jul 3, 2017.

1. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

I had been eyeing another Telecaster, a cherry burst, with a carved body. It was a nice Tele. Plus... I was contemplating (going to buy) an Explorer, that just took too long to ship.

However, today I texted my friend to see if the Tele was still available? He said they had a better one, and texted me a rather bland pic, of an ash Tele. I asked how much, and he said, same price.

I was still intrigued. He knows what I like, and don't like. He doesn't send pics, to waste my time.

I stopped by after church, and the heritage cherry I was looking for, had actually sold. My friend, tells me to forget it, I'm going to like this new one much more.

Still not that enamored with its looks, I take it, and decide to really test it out. Plug into a 5150 III and Marshall 4×12.

Oh my goodness. This is an amazing guitar. I usually take a while to adjust, especially to Fenders. This was made for your hands. The neck is simply one of the nicest necks, I've ever had the pleasure of playing. And I hate maple fretboards. The exception to the rule. I'm really stunned.

The SCN single-coil pickups, are big, ballsy, QUIET screamers, with lots of twang. The S-1 circuitry... WOW!

Just, an awesome guitar.

Am I a convert? Hell no. My '68 RI smokes it. However, my '68 RI cost significantly more.

I paid about the same as I paid for my '61 RI SG. I would say they're comparable quality. Under the hood, I'd give the nod to the Fender. That's custom shop level quality work. The Fender just kind of has "it" over the SG, as well.

Plugged into a Marshall Jubilee. :applause:

Some pics...

2006 Fender American Deluxe Ash Telecaster - Butterscotch
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just a really fun guitar to play. And that little hole, in the back of the neck plate, lets you adjust the angle of the neck. This has the sweetest action on any Fender I've ever played. In fact, this is the nicest Fender, I've ever laid hands on. Kudos to the guys in Corona, CA.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    JSH1970, kiko, DarrellV and 10 others like this.
  2. Case24

Case24 Senior Member

Great looking Tele!

GibsonKramer likes this.
  3. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Awesome! THAT'S how a Tele should look. Enjoy!!

GibsonKramer likes this.
  4. Walt_T

Walt_T Senior Member

Beautiful!

GibsonKramer likes this.
  5. Uncle Remus

Uncle Remus Silver Supporter

Exactly what I thought.

GibsonKramer likes this.
  6. Nippon

Nippon Insert Kanji here... Premium Member

Very nice.

GibsonKramer likes this.
  7. GibsonKramer

Yeah, the pic he sent was kind of blah. He's not a photographer. And I was looking at one of those bound, slim body, contour...

It was a nice Tele. I played it, is how I knew I wanted it. But, he was pretty confident I'd like this one. He was right. And it's geared more towards that traditional Tele look. I like that. It also handles what I like to play, better. I think it's the pickups. Probably a bit of that slab of ash.

More than anything, it is just a really fun guitar to play. If I were in a band, this would probably split time with a LP, if not actually take up more, being a lighter, more forgiving guitar.

8. zumzool

zumzool Junior Member

I love the neck on mine too! It's an awesome fast feeling neck that is just perfect. Congrats!

GibsonKramer likes this.
  9. kiko

kiko Senior Member

She's pretty!

GibsonKramer likes this.
  10. GibsonKramer

I'll say this for the Tele. She gets played, every day.

On average, I try to spend a couple hours a night in that room. I'm going to play at least one LP, and maybe something else... but this Tele is also getting played.

I want another Tele, to be honest.

11. Dirtyclinic

Dirtyclinic Senior Member

A beauty. I have always wanted a '52 reissue, that one gives you the look plus probably has some cool features the other one doesn't have.

GibsonKramer likes this.
  12. GibsonKramer

I love this guitar. It gets played every day.

I'm going to end up buying another Tele because of it. Might have already found one. A '07 Deluxe, that came in beat up, tech did nice work on it. $499.

Or, might hold out for one of those '52s everyone talks about.

13. Bend'n'Slide

Bend'n'Slide Senior Member

Ahhhhhhhh...!!
    That's an absolute classic of a Tele and if she plays as good as you say...
    :dude:

< Must not be envious... Must not be envious... Must not be envious... > :facepalm:

I sooooo want one of those! A Tele is the only big gap in my solid-bodies and blackguard/butterscotch was always on the hit-list!

HNGD!!
    :applause:

GibsonKramer likes this.