The New Gibson CEO is...

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by chasenblues, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Colnago1

Colnago1 Senior Member

How much should Gibson guitars sell for? I don’t think they are overpriced. Compare them to other American brands and they are similar if not cheaper. Set neck, binding, nitro, etc.. all take skill and time to do.

Uncle Vinnie, freebyrd 69 and Biddlin like this.
  2. Bill Hicklin

Bill Hicklin Senior Member

Less significant than whether he plays is the fact he collects vintage Gibsons. That gives him a link to tradition and what made the old ones good.

3. Bill Hicklin

Bill Hicklin Senior Member

Uh, not really. Fenders sell for little more than half. Binding and set necks are not all that hard or time consuming, and probably add less than 50 bucks to production costs per unit.

Nitro is a crappy legacy finish that should be relegated to THs.

4. Archer

Archer Senior Member

I'm interested to know what you guys perceive as Gibson's failings under the previous management. Given Curleigh's experience at marketing, do you think he's the right guy to fix said problems?

Jewel the Sapphire and Biddlin like this.
  5. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Member

The truth is not a fixed point in the current age. :cool2:

PermissionToLand likes this.
  6. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Member

Funny, I don't remember anyone criticizing Henry for that.....:rofl:

Jewel the Sapphire likes this.
  7. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Member

No idea, but I don't find his Levi's performance comforting. He was all bottom line, preserving less than 1% of production in the US and off-shoring to places that make the PRC look like labor's paradise.

Eddie 70 and PermissionToLand like this.
  8. efstop

efstop Senior Member

The Les Paul and the SG have been in production about the same number of years. The LP went on hiatus, the SG body shape, starting with the '61 "Les Paul" has never been out of production. Gibson themselves said the SG Standard was the best selling Gibson of all time (in 2009) and this article restates that in 2017:

https://www.musicradar.com/news/historic-hardware-the-story-of-the-gibson-sg

I used to think a white SG Custom was the shit, but I've never owned an SG.

PermissionToLand and Roberteaux like this.
  9. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Premium Member

It's well known as to why they failed.....Henry ventured into buying too many already failed companies and didn't concentrate on guitars.

As for the new guy.....we will see.

Roberteaux likes this.
  10. Colnago1

Colnago1 Senior Member

Which Fender? Let’s compare apples to apples. Does Fender have a set neck carved top guitar?

11. fleahead

fleahead Senior Member

Beg to differ. Spending a huge amount of money on things like the Zoot Suit SG, the Fireturd... the entire 2015 line.... These hurt the company as well. HJ spent HUGE $$$ on failed guitar-related projects. And millions got dumped into Orange, Kramer, Oberhiem, the Gibson Cafe, Trace Elliot to name but a few. AND trying to buy Samick, which was a disaster. THESE were the beginnings of the fall because it caused HJ to leverage buildings and property, selling valuable assets to fund the stupidity.

But yes, coupled with all of that non-guitar stuff. Stupid.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    freebyrd 69 likes this.
  12. MikeyTheCat

MikeyTheCat Senior Member

But we’re the Zoot Suits bad guitars or just not big sellers? People may not have liked the specs on the 2015 but as an owner the build quality was fine and the ideas behind the hardware changes (zero fret, etc) were good. I won’t argue about the G-force, I like it but can see others hating it.
    Yes the 2015’s were a sales fail but I can’t hate on HJ for the effort, maybe too much effort.

13. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Premium Member

I don't have the numbers, but, it just seems that the Zoot Suit SG and robo tuners were a drop in the bucket compared to the other non guitar related ventures. Every drop counts, but.....

MikeyTheCat likes this.
  14. Filipem

Filipem Senior Member

I'm hoping Gibson just keeps making great guitars. They've put out some limited runs where I look at it and scratch my head, then there are others where they just nail it. I think it's cool that they experiment regardless of my tastes or personal preferences. For better or worse I hope keep that alive.

As far as pricing goes who knows what the margins are but i think they do just fine. looking at the LP custom lite which back in 2013 as an example... were selling for around the same price as studio with a hardcase the studios came with a gig bag. Or the new limited run LP traditionals currently available at long and mcquade that sell for only a few hundred more than a new studio....

Makes you wonder how much more effort and money goes into using a thicker body and binding....

Jewel the Sapphire likes this.
  15. Hatefulsob

Hatefulsob Senior Member

Perhaps it's foolishly optimistic to wish that the new CEO makes sure that the workers are treated well and fairly. Maybe working at a place not on a list of "the worst companies to work for in the USA" would give them incentive to do the best work they can do, and to take pride in what they make.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again; what really makes people hate on Gibson flaws and shoddy workmanship is the knowledge that Gibson USA the ability to make great guitars every day of the week. They don't deliver with consistency and there's just no excuse for it. There may damn sure well be a reason for it, but no excuse for letting it happen.

16. Stone76

Stone76 Senior Member

Well, it's no different to me than the weight relief holes on the Les Pauls... :rofl:

Subterfuge, jimh, Snow Flake and 3 others like this.
  17. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Senior Member

Jeez, my comments must have really triggered you.

Who said anything about being a senior member? Certainly not I. I'm not interested in paying for companionship, thanks. It seems like it really artificially boosted your ego though.

Are you deliberately trying to prove my point or something? Because it beggars belief that somebody could be so wholly self-unaware.

Except that you never qualified your statements with "Custom Shop" and I never said anything about Memphis...

There are probably more Custom Shop limited editions of LP. That does not mean they sell more. And the SG also has a Custom, '61 Reissue, Standard, Special, Junior, etc, etc...

I will admit I mis-recalled the price on that 2-PU Custom. But as I stated, you are still downgrading to 490/498s and a Nashville compared to previous years. I think I was confusing that with the Standard Bohemian, which effectively replaced the Standard and goes for $4,200 Street. That actually has the features of the Standard that previously went for $3,000. Here's a pretty hard to find example of an old-spec Standard that is $4,500 and on sale for $3,800:

https://reverb.com/item/15714084-gibson-custom-1961-sg-standard-faded-cherry-vos

And we are not talking about used prices, we are talking about Gibson's prices, that is the whole point.

Yes, that is a saying, a derisive saying intended to insult. Don't be obtuse.

18. HeartString

HeartString Non Prominent MBR Premium Member

Yup, Fascinating! :wave:

tumblr_o2hicqTqkK1ui7axdo1_250.gif

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    ramaglia375 and ehb like this.
  19. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Gold Supporter Premium Member

They'll knot up on ye...

HeartString likes this.
  20. Uncle Vinnie

Uncle Vinnie Premium Member

I confess to bitching most vociferously about the price of LPs and luthier work until I educated myself (mostly by youtube vids) about what goes into making and modifying/repairing a guitar. Most humble apologies.

21. JCM900MkIII

JCM900MkIII Senior Member