The New Gibson CEO is...

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by chasenblues, Oct 23, 2018.

1. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Premium Member

That's because tightening 4 screws still doesn't warrant a big payday.

MikeyTheCat likes this.
  2. Bill Hicklin

Bill Hicklin Senior Member

Wow, you're like a dog with a bone

Cutting a body mortise and a neck tenon for a precise and aligned fit is exactly the same procedure, and precisely as difficult, whether your next step is picking up the drill or the glue pot.

Pop1655 likes this.
  3. MikeyTheCat

MikeyTheCat Senior Member

But one takes seconds and it’s done, the other takes time to set.

freebyrd 69 likes this.
  4. Jewel the Sapphire

Jewel the Sapphire Senior Member

Is it true Levi's is for stricter gun control? I remember reading somewhere on it and that also had a photo of the leather brand patch with some propaganda on it.

Thats not cool he got political in his other company. Our USA is an armed republic and I resent any people trying to infringe the rights of Americans given to us by it's founding fathers.

Im highlighting this new Gibson CEO and his previous postion at the head of Levi Strauss, which is the newest "social justice warrior" company. Lets discuss this here please, where it is directly relevant.

5. LSAR

LSAR Pure Evil Premium Member

Companies should stay out of US politics IMO, but so should The Backstage. There's no real way to discuss this one without discussing "Gun Control: Yes or No?", and if we go there the friggin' cake just disappears and nobody gets any.

Edit to add: I believe the statements/message in question originated from Chip Bergh, not James Curleigh. I'm not sure if their roles are/were/will be overlapping in any way there? I'm not familiar with their corporate structure at all.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  6. Jewel the Sapphire

No lets just talk about facts and leave opinions on the backburner. Any company can do almost anything over here. Its important.

I hope, hope, this new Gibson CEO has nothing to do with Levi Strauss' anti-gun campaign. If that shit is tied to him in any way I wont be buying Gibson until he is removed. Without sharing any opinions on gun control I just want to bring to light a serious concern I have about this sites topic new CEO. Gibson guitars sporting any propaganda for their political views like Levi is doing will most likely "dead" the brand.

DarthPaul and LSAR like this.
  7. DotStudio

DotStudio Senior Member

Yeah, I don't see MLP leaving opinions out of such a topic.

8. Jewel the Sapphire

Okay this is true, this JC guy did NOT begin this concern for me. However JC was the global president of the company while "Chip Bergh" was the CEO since JC's start at the company. There was only a month between the publications of Levi Strauss going full retard and Gibson appointing JC as the CEO. Chip Bergh and James Curleigh were both so high up on the corporate ladder of the same company one can figure that they had discussions on the topic in private, since Bergh is this motivated to put the livelyhood of his global brand in jeopardy for US gun control. See in the USA money is the motivating factor, and in politics people who make influence through pay are lobbyists, the aim of which is controlling the overall direction of the USA and in turn-- world politics. The Levi Strauss brand most likely will die off but the CEO will remain paid for this drastic influence through possibly lobbyist connections. People all over the world have bought those American jeans, just like they buy these beautiful American guitars. If they both are corrupt it will show in time, lets hope that this JC guy is not trying to ease his way into our beloved Gibson only to become a political influence on the world. Tyranny will not be supported by patriots, we will see how this all plays out.

9. cjpeck

cjpeck Senior Member

so you're determined to get the thread closed. Got it. You're already leaning pretty hard on the political button with your previous post. Maybe let it go here and find a forum that doesn't have a "no politics" policy in place?

Gtarzan81 and freebyrd 69 like this.
  10. Jewel the Sapphire

Dude were talking about James Curleigh. Its directly tied to his LAST company. There were only months between press releases to tie his previous brands new mission statement and his newly aquired position as a CEO. This is big stuff about JC guy.

11. Dilemma

Dilemma Loud Pipes Ruin Naps Premium Member

*bound and

freebyrd 69 likes this.
  12. cjpeck

cjpeck Senior Member

It's not "big stuff about JC guy", it's your personal politica viewpoint on what you perceive as his personal political viewpoints. It has nothing to do with guitars.

I see you're pretty new here, so you may not be aware of how political discussions go around here. It starts out with a few polite exchanges, a couple of posters having a civil conversation, then someone (probably not involved at all in the civil exchanges) reads the posts and gets all excited and posts up some gobbledy gook about whatever and it's off to the races. Lt. Dave sees the thread, posts a friendly warning in green, all but a couple guys see said warning and bow out of the conversation, the last couple guys continue trying to get the last word. Lt. Dave sees the thread again and closes the thread and hands out a couple of passes to a weekend at band camp. If a less easy-going mod sees the thread before the nice Lt., a nuke is dropped from orbit and the vacations are for much longer than a weekend pass.

This is me giving friendly advice. You may think that it should be possible to have a convo re: political items but it's not going to end well. If you insist on taking it political, things will happen. Seriously, this is friendly advice. Really. Just don't push the political button.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  13. smk506

smk506 Senior Member

I think we can safely say we understand your concerns, @Jewel the Sapphire . While plenty relevant to the topic, threads that end up circling around the gun control topic don't last long here. It's nothing personal and you aren't alone in your feelings, but this (MLP) just isn't the place for it is all.

Ever notice we have a stickied gun thread? It's hundreds of pages and covers just about all aspects of shooting, reloading, modifying, etc. One of the very few things the members who participate in that thread won't discuss is gun control. It just brings no benefit to that particular situation either, and thats a thread all about guns.

LSAR and Jewel the Sapphire like this.
  14. Jewel the Sapphire

Alright guys im backing out on my own here, glad to show yall the concern.

JC has serious corporate power. The quotes shared on this thread of him speaking on his intentions with Gibson and his previous intentions when he began work for Levi Strauss are all great things to say. I want Gibson to stay in the USA and perhaps bring back Kalamazoo Michigan for additional high end Epiphone manufacturing. Fingers crossed that James Curleigh has no hidden intention of following his peer Chip Bergh in regards to public relations with this great American brand we all know and love.

Screenshot_20181126-111859.png Screenshot_20181126-111956.png

smk506 and LSAR like this.
  15. redskull_00

redskull_00 Junior Member

To Mr. James "JC" Curleigh,
    Don't blow it. The whole Guitar World is watching.

Jewel the Sapphire likes this.
  16. E.T.

E.T. Junior Member

It's all good, he's smashing an SG... What disturbs me is that he seems to be a cardboard cutout rather than a real boy

17. JTM45

JTM45 Platinum Supporter Premium Member

I hope he does well but that dude could come and do what the Epi Pen dude did

18. fleahead

fleahead Senior Member

Let's not and leave the gun BS out of it, ffs

freebyrd 69 and Dave_W like this.
  19. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Gold Supporter Premium Member

Some folks MUST have the Epi pen to stay alive.... Ain't no MUST for a Gib....

Big difference....

freebyrd 69 likes this.
  20. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Gold Supporter Premium Member

As far as the gun/pol issues of the dude...He is in TN now, and will probably be introduced to the phrase 'go piss up a rope' by some folks up there if he gets to signifying on other than Gib topics... He'll find out that some in the country music biz ain't much impressed with folks with titles and shit... He'll find his way... and maybe learn a thing or two... Give him the chance to do what he does best.... Be interesting to watch this unfold....