The new 1 watt Marshall amps..

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Nirvana33, Feb 19, 2012.

1. b3john

b3john Senior Member

Lemme guess, you just happen to have a Fargen for sale? Weren't you were switching to an 11R?

2. Couloirman

Couloirman Senior Member

Pulled my Fargen off the market ;) Came to my senses.......

3. eaglewolf

eaglewolf Senior Member

Makes a lot of sense, however it is easier for me to sell my better half on a $750 amp three times that a single $1800 amp, regardless of how little sense that makes. To be honest, I only set out to buy one and ended up with three.

I will say I like the three amps I have, so it is a moot point for me now as they are all paid for.

David

4. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Senior Member

I know the feeling.

I was set to buy just the JCM Head for my MOJO room ..lol ( see pic in post # 227 )

But then I decided to get the JCM combo for the living room.

These amps are all that and a bag of chips ...\m/ \m/

[​IMG]

5. strat1701

strat1701 El Diablo Cazador De Hombres Premium Member

I've joined the club too-

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. Classicplayer

Classicplayer Senior Member

I agree with this. That is why I use a Roland Micro Cube on the "Classic Stack" model to achieve this. It of course, cannot compare to the real thing, but if you use your imagination, as I do, you will caught up in the sound, as I do.

I'm also using a 1 watt, but not Marshall; a Blackstar HT1R combo. Now that I've figured out how to dial in the clean channel with a Les Paul, it's on to the Marshall side of that amp...........so I'll be giving a progress report when I figure that side out. Incidentally, the Blackstar cost's maybe a third less than the Marshall 1-watts.

Classicplayer

7. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

I've tried to get on with a SS modelling amp as the low volume amp... and it is just a little 'meh' compared to even a basic tube tone... my kustom 15 with a pedal is much more pleasing, to my ears anyway...

I'm looking at options, the marshalls are just out of my price range, but I'm considering picking up one of the blackstar HT1s... I've heard the HT5's clean is honky and well, bad, but how is the HT1?

8. AxeBuilder

AxeBuilder Senior Member

You might want to try a Marshall Class 5.

9. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

sorry, I went down that road... and no... if it had a master volume, maybe... my kustom is basically the same thing only with more options, and if I kick it in 15w mode it could hang with a drummer. in 4w mode I don't have to crank it, but it does sound great cranked, but it cuts the headroom where I can get a power tube chunky-chunk at lower volume than even the class 5... my next amp will have a good working master volume.

10. eaglewolf

eaglewolf Senior Member

The Blackstars are Marshall-like. The HT-5's cleans are not it's strong point, but I don't know that I'd call it bad. If you are looking for Fender cleans, then yes you can do much better. For my purposes though - the harder driving classic rock - it does just fine.

I guess it just depends on what you are buying the amp for. I wanted an amp that could get decent breakup at low volumes. The HT-5 did that quite well. Sort of a Marshall tone that worked for me. I have other amps for when I want to play clean.

As for the HT-1, I have yet to try one so I can't comment on it.

David

11. Classicplayer

Classicplayer Senior Member

Rhust,

If a local shop carries Blackstars and happens to have the HT1R head, you might try your favorite guitar with it into one of your current amps. If you play out, you will not get there with one watt, but for home practice, it may be what you need. Lots of choices. But, I cannot afford the Marshall 50th Anniversary 1 watts right now and I also don't think for me the money spent on one would return a really satisfying result.

Here is Youtube clip of the HT1R head played through a decent speaker. Keep in mind there is no real e.q. other than the amps "contour" feature (ISF control) and the gain and volume, but the player in the vid does all right with it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsAVVDXRx1I]Gibson Les Paul Studio Tribute 70's Blackstar HT-1R Celestion Super 8 iRig iMic - YouTube[/ame]

Classicplayer

12. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

I do not need fender cleans, I have a king of fender kings, and I run a pedal through it almost every time...
    the kustom actually does decent cleans too... I was just curious more than anything...

I'm getting close to nailing down the amp that will replace the fender... and I'm looking hard at blackstars and egnaters.. I may go with the HT20, which I'm told sounds good even at low volumes... or the tweaker 15 which sounded great when I played it before...

I'm going to drive to the south/downtown dallas location of guitar center... the north dallas one has fender, mesa, marshall, egnater and line6... no orange, blackstar, etc... so I'm hoping for better selection downtown... I'll quit hijacking this thread now, sorry. :)

13. strat1701

strat1701 El Diablo Cazador De Hombres Premium Member

The only drawback I can find ATM on my JCM1 is the lack of an effects loop. Running delay in front it sounds a lot different. But the overall sound, it pretty much nails that 80's rock/metal tone we all know and love! I ran my strat thru it last nite and was equally impressed. Just wish it had a loop. otherwise, a fun toy.

14. KZ!

KZ! Member

Who knows what the real 50TH amp will be?

15. Standard 64

Standard 64 Senior Member

Have not played one but the videos so far(the good ones)are very impressive tone wise.They are going to sell millions of these.

1 person likes this.