The new 1 watt Marshall amps..

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Nirvana33, Feb 19, 2012.

1. FlamingTop

FlamingTop Senior Member

Thanks for the input! It's really interesting to know how these guys will push the different speakers.

I was planning to use scum back PVC greenbacks for the JTM, H and M combination greenbacks for the JMP and V30s for the JCM

Eaglewolf, great comments. I'm actually planning on getting the JTM, JMP and JCM heads

2. FFXIhealer

FFXIhealer Senior Member

I don't have the money at the moment to be buying speakers left and right. That will come later when I'm ready to build the micro-stack cabinets to match the 1-watt heads. I'll probably buy one of each Celestion 10" speaker (except the G10 Vintage, which I already have 2 of in my Lead 12 Microstack) and do sound checks. That way, I'll know which amps sound best with which speaker and can build the stacks accordingly.

If I make the stacks with 12" speakers, the cabinet will be thicker than the amps (the angled cabs only have a 15-degree slant to them) sitting on top and wider by over an inch on each side. It would be no different than putting them on the Haze cabinets.

I'm thinking 1/2" birch for the top, sides, bottom, and back. MDF for the baffle and extra pieces (to arrange the angled-front grillecloth and mount the Marshall badges) and the pieces needed inside to mount everything together. 22mm-radius routing on the later cabinets and 18mm-radius routing on the earlier cabs. Black Levant Tolex for the JTM/JMP cabs, but Elephant Tolex for the JCM/DSL/JVM cabs. Dual 1/4" jacks on the back of all cabinets wired in parallel so I can do a pass-through for 2 cabinets on the heads' 8-ohm jack (or 16-ohm when used singly). Dude, I got most of this figured out, and I don't have ANY materials to start with yet (because my ass is broke getting the amps in the first place.

3. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Senior Member

OUT FOR DELIVERY !!! :dude:

OMG ....Hurry the F up Mr. UPS Man :wave:

4. Totally Bored

Had to go out for a errand and look what was dropped off OMG like Totally !!!

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  5. Totally Bored

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. FFXIhealer

FFXIhealer Senior Member

Aww, it's like the baby brother...

7. FlamingTop

FlamingTop Senior Member

WELL?? How does it sound?? Congrats man! :)

8. FlamingTop

FlamingTop Senior Member

I'm sure you have it figured out man and good luck with the project. I guess the reason why I asked is because sometimes, what may sound good theoretically as a good pairing (ex JTM + Alnico; JMP + G12M; Two Rock + G12-65) doesn't always sound as good as expected

9. Totally Bored

Awesome, better than I expected :dude:

Love having a 1 watt amp. I never owned a 1 watt before.

The .01 mode is really quiet. Not sure what I think of that yet but it is quiet. 1st Impression of the 0.1 mode is like having a blanket on the the amp. I'm initially not thrilled with this .01 mode but I Need more time with it to fully evaluate it. But it is very quiet and very very Bedroom like. I need to dial that mode in more maybe ?

The 1 watt mode is real nice and almost to loud, almost. I can only imagine that the combo with the 10" speaker is even quieter then my JCM 800 4x12 Cab but dam this thing sounds great thru the 4x12. At Full Volume and Boost it's not super loud but I could see it pissing off someone in the next room. Put the Master Volume to 7ish and your good for bedroom levels. Sounds very full and amazing, Great Rock & Roll Marshall JCM crunch sounds at respectable volumes. Don't know how they did it but it sounds kinda similar to my JCM800 with El 34's. Not the exact tone but it's in the ball park.

Cleans are nicer than I thought, not Fender clean but more like Marshall cleans. Heck it's a Marshall right, it's supposed to have Marshall cleans.

Overall sound of the amp captures the basic JCM800 sound and very Marshall like. Really cool how they dial'd in that sound using itty bitty Pre-amp type tubes. Really like the amp. Need more time with this thing but that is my Initial review. To me this amp is worth every penny and I have no regrets purchasing it and...... IT'S SO FREKKIN CUTE :dude::dude::dude:

10. FlamingTop

FlamingTop Senior Member

That's AWESOME man!! Congrats again!! That's definitely great news for us! What speakers are loaded in your 4x12?

11. Totally Bored

This is gonna sound stupid but... STOCK Speakers.

Bought my JCM 800 Amp and JCM800 1960a Cab new in 1986 and I have never opened it up to take a look inside. :dude:

I've done work on the head (Still stock with no wierd mods ) like retube and rebias but I never messed with the cab.

If it sounds good, you don't need to mess with it has always been my attitude :applause:

1 person likes this.
  12. Totally Bored

Dam I must be crazy :wow:

I like the JCM 1 head so much that I just bought the Combo :applause:

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior Member

Sorry for the n00b question, but, which is closer to a 1959SLP? The JTM, or JMP? Aside from the front panel what is different about them?

14. FFXIhealer

FFXIhealer Senior Member

The JMP1 is a 1-watt version of the 1959SLP. In fact, it has an extra valve gain stage (boost button in the back of the amp) to simulate the sound of the old 1959SLPs that got the same modification. It's what you hear on Appetite for Destruction and a lot of similar rock albums of that time.

Check out my post at the Marshall Forum. http://www.marshallforum.com/marshall-amps/46386-1-get.html#post691093

That should help you out.

1 person likes this.
  15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior Member

Awesome, thanks.

16. Funky54

Funky54 Senior Member

So it's a $700 pedal? If a bigger amp is already there why do I need to take a small one.... That's called a DLS or Plextortion pedal.... For like $125-$150. I'll keep the change. I'll wait till it can hang with a drummer.

My 18watt clone is borderline useless.

Don't get me wrong I would like one. But to separate me from my money it has to be useful for something other than replacing my rockman. How you describe using it is Called a SIB Varidrve.

17. b3john

b3john Senior Member

Then don't buy one.

18. FFXIhealer

FFXIhealer Senior Member

Well, my JVM doesn't get a Plexi sound, so if I bypass the JVM's preamp by using the JMP1 as the preamp (in low-power mode), then I can use the JVM's power-section to push over 100-watts of that tone.

Sick.

Then I can just hook up a smaller 1x10" or 1x12" and get bedroom volumes out of it for practice. They're damned good at providing that really cranked Plexi tone at very low volumes. And if I engage the Boost switch on the JMP head, I can do Sweet Child of Mine spot-on. If I take off the Boost and dial back to around 4, I get great AC/DC.

With the JTM, I get a great Jimi Hendrix sound.

1 person likes this.
  19. Couloirman

Couloirman Senior Member

Im really tempted by these for the novelty of a small, 1 watt practice combo amp to leave in my living room, but here is some math for those people buying more than one of these.

At $800 a piece, if you want 3 of them you are paying $2400. If you buy a Fargen mini plex, you get 3 of the Marshall amp circuits from these anniversary models (JTM45, Plexi, JCM 800) in one sexy package, built by one of the best in the business, that can be power scaled from 0.5-12 watts AND you save $600.

I can understand buying just one of these amps, and I very well might do so in addition to my Fargen, but if you want multiple of these amps, just do yourself a favor and get a Fargen mini plex. You will not be disappointed.

20. David Corrales

David Corrales Senior Member

Interesting way to put it. Damn, I need to become a millionaire to buy all the amps I like :(