The new 1 watt Marshall amps..

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Nirvana33, Feb 19, 2012.

1. eaglewolf

eaglewolf Senior Member

I've got one, I love it. If you fall into the same category, then you won't even have to ask the question.

David

2. allstar100595

allstar100595 Senior Member

I know you will not regret buying the amp, all of the 1 watters are absolutely incredible. The only people talking crap about them are the ones who haven't tried them yet.

1 person likes this.
  3. AXE

AXE Six String Soldier V.I.P. Member

I haven't played through anything but my JCM1 since it arrived.

1X12 cab 4X12 cab, doesn't matter.

This thing is incredible!

4. FFXIhealer

FFXIhealer Senior Member

JTM1 head arrived today (yesterday, it's after midnight now).

5. db3266

db3266 V.I.P. Member

Regarding the heads and larger cabs........

My JTM1 sounds very awesome through my 1936V

[​IMG]

:applause::applause::applause:

6. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Senior Member

Anybody got any pics of the JCM -1 on a 1x12 Marshall Cab ?

I don't know the dimensions of the Head and what would fit but I would like a small 1x12 cab for mine. I'm quessing the Marshall Haze slant cab would go good maybe ? Don't know the dimensions of that either.

Any other Marshall cab pics or suggestions are welcome and thanks in advance.

7. FFXIhealer

FFXIhealer Senior Member

180 x 380 x 195

JCM1 head dimensions

8. FlamingTop

FlamingTop Senior Member

Still would love to hear what kind of speakers these little monsters sound great with :)

9. FFXIhealer

FFXIhealer Senior Member

JMP1 head arrived today.

Dude, just match them with the "traditional" speaker of the times. For example:

JTM1 ('60s): Alnico Gold (or equivalent)
    JMP1 ('70s): Greenbacks (or equivalent)
    JCM1 ('80s): either Vintage 30s (or equivalent) or G12T-75 (or equivalent)
    Which one you pick really depends on if you're playing rock or metal.

DSL1 ('90s): Either Vintage 30s or G12T-75s, same as above.
    JVM1 (2000s): I'd really go with the G12T-75 or other modern speaker for this one.

10. trmckn

trmckn Senior Member

All a matter of taste of course, but here is my preference with the cabs I have... Oh...and I only have the JTM-1, so this applies only to that.

From least to most favorite...

Marshall 1960 with Celestion 4xG12T75
    Marshall MA412 with 4x Eminence AX75s (surprisingly ahead of the 1960)
    Marshall 1960BX (or AX for that matter) with 4xCelestion G12M25
    Marshall 1960BHW with 4x Celestion G12H30
    Vox V212HWX with 2x Celestion Blues
    PRS MDT cab with 2x V30

And then there is a big gap because the next two are by far my favorite..

Marshall 35th Cab with 4x Celestion Alnico reissues
    Marshall 40th Cab with 4x Celestion T652 Alnico's

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. FFXIhealer

FFXIhealer Senior Member

Yeah, I thought the Alnico Gold speakers would do well with the JTM's low-distortion, blues sound.

12. eaglewolf

eaglewolf Senior Member

My Mesa vertical 2X12 (V30's according to Mesa's website) sounds excellent with the JMP and JCM.

My JTM is played through a pair of Scumbacks - H55/H75 - in a Bluesbreaker style cab. Sounds awesome. The JMP sounded terrible through the same setup.

I didn't like the JTM through Mesa's horizontal 2X12, which I thought had Mesa's Black Shadow speakers in it - but Mesa's website says it has V30's as well.

I have an Egnator Rebel 1X12 extension cab as well, but the 2X12's sound much better (I'm sure the extra speaker doesn't hurt.) Without that comparison, it wasn't a bad setup for a smaller rig. Worked with either the JTM or the JMP, though I never tried it with the JCM. With the Mesa cab I have since aquired, I don't have much reason to plug into the Egnator cab now.

David

13. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Senior Member

I'm thinking the Marshall Haze slant cab with my JCM-1 ?
    Anybody know the dimensions and if they will fit together ?

14. FFXIhealer

FFXIhealer Senior Member

The Haze cabinets will be wider than the 1-watt heads. Fact.

The 1-watt heads are only marginally wider than the 10" cabinets for the MG Microstack. I have a Lead 12 Microstack I'm basing the comparison off of.

15. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

I have a question on volume from someone who has one... I have a feeling I know the answer

if you dime the amp, say with a single 12, or 10"... would you think it would be possible for someone on the other side of the house to hear the TV? like is it uncomfortable in the same room?

if you put it on the .25 watt or .5 watt mode? will it still sound the same, or does the tone change on the low power mode?

16. eaglewolf

eaglewolf Senior Member

On the 1W setting, I find the amps loud, but not unbearably so. I don't typically feel the need for earplugs, though it might not be a bad idea anyways. My practice space is a 10X12 spare bedroom, so sound seems louder than it would in a larger room. Depending on your house and its construction, you may or may not be able to hear the TV on the other side of the house. My wife indicated that while they typically don't bother her when she is reading, it would be too loud to comfortably listen to the TV in the adjacent bedroom. (Just realize that we don't actually have TV in our house.) The amps do sound killer though.

As for the low power mode (.1 or .022W, depending on the model) it does a pretty good job of keeping the character of the amp. However, the volume is part of the character, so I won't say it doesn't change the tone. Just like I didn't find the JTM-1 in the 1W mode exactly duplicates the JTM-45, the JTM-1 isn't exactly the same tonally in both the 1W and low power modes. For me it is fine for practicing when you have to keep the volume down, but it definitely sounds its best when it is unrestrained.

I'm beginning to think that if the need is to get the best possible tone at very low volumes, a solid state modeling amp might be the best choice. Honestly, I think the only thing that is truly going to sound exactly like a cranked JCM-800, for example, is a cranked JCM-800. The rest are just trying to imitate it. I just can't make full use of the JCM-800 2203 or 2204 in my current circumstances. Same for the JTM-45 and the 1959SLP.

I think they did a good job on the 1W amps, but they are not the miraculous little wonders some might lead you to believe they are. Great tone? Definitely, at least in my opinion. I'm very happy with all three of the amps I have and feel they are perfect for I wanted them for, but like everything they have their limitations.

David

1 person likes this.
  17. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

thanks for the input... I think the JCM might be the best for me, then because I can at least get gain at a lower volume, or an attenuator I think can actually do it's job with a 1w amp... but I just think it's unreasonable for me personally, to expect a true cranked tone in the situation I'm in... outside of using a modeller that does a good job of mimicing it at lower volume, but then the tone isn't spot on, either... I am looking around at other options though... I want high gain without having to pull out pedals every time...

1 person likes this.
  18. eaglewolf

eaglewolf Senior Member

Well, the JCM-1 will give you that. I've never thought of JCM as a modern metal amp, but it gets some great gain at a reasonable volume. If you do need the super high gain tones, then I think pedals will help. I suspect you will get most anything the JCM-800 will do at a much lower volume. There are definitely differences, but I love the tone from that amp through the V30's in my Mesa cab. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

David

1 person likes this.
  19. LesterNtele

LesterNtele Senior Member

With my Jtm1 I found a couple of really good matches.
    The Weber Blue Dog and the Eminence Manowar.
    Those two tap into the fat bottom and chimy hi's that amp can put out.
    I found V30's and GB's were ok, but they made the amp lose some volume and tone.

20. FlamingTop

FlamingTop Senior Member

Have you tried these actual speaker combinations with the JTM, JMP and JCM?