The MLP Classical Guitar Thread - Covering all finger style from 1500 - to now!

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by Cpt Matt Sparrow, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Cpt Matt Sparrow

Cpt Matt Sparrow Senior Member

Dear amigos

Firstly, I am sorry for my absence, I have been dealing with family things, some quite hard to say the least - and I have needed time to sort my head out, but I am writing to share some good news though re the musical side of life!I am very excited to say, that on the link below, is my first ever magazine interview in the popular magazine 'Classical Guitar'. Ever since I was a teenager, first taking classical guitar lessons, I had dreamed of being in classical guitar magazine.

The article is called Music Matters, British Guitarist and Composer Matthew Sear discusses autism, the guitar and being a working musician in the Internet age – by Guy Traviss

Full unedited interview
    Home

Free read - edited (by me) interview
    Please scroll down to read interviews from Classical Guitar magazine, London Concert Series, Fanfare Magazine (USA) as well as transcripts from BBC Radio interviews and more. "Vibrance, energy and the ability to really communicate through the guitar.

Above, (second link) is an edited transcription of the interview. I have had to be senstitive to my parents, of what goes on my website - if you want to read an unedited version, I can pm you a version, (once I get a copy), or you can buy in some stores too. It is a good magazine, with articles on kinds of classical guitar related things...

I promise, if you read it, you will read an extremely honest interview, one that charts my life from the absolute lows, i.e dropping out the guildhall, drinking myself silly, depression - to sorting my life out, meeting my wife Suzie, getting an adult diagnosis of being on the autistic spectrum and going from musical strength to strength.

All this happened aged thirty onwards. One of my favourite quotes is "it's never too late to be what you might have been" - I hope you enjoy!!!

Matt

2 people like this.
  2. Cpt Matt Sparrow

p.s it's not all classical, there is lots of mention of rock, blues etc and even Randy Rhoads!

1 person likes this.
  3. FrankieOliver

FrankieOliver Senior Member

Excellent, Matt. Thanks very much indeed. I've just now come across this thread and looks like I'll have a good deal of reading to do here. :)

Before I head back to the first page, a lovely bit from Tarrega:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7-LVJf7Hvo]ADELITA FRANCISCO TARREGA - YouTube[/ame]

:cheers:

2 people like this.
  4. Cpt Matt Sparrow

Hi Frankie

Good to see you here!

I have used the anaolgy in another message recently, but this thread is a bit like the SETI signals sent out in space hoping to find other like minded species

On a forum that is predominantly rock - we are doing better than SETI too!!! :)

Matt

2 people like this.
  5. Cpt Matt Sparrow

I thought this was an interesting read about not just classical guitar, but finding time for guitar in general. This is from Carlos Bonell's blogs...

...according to author Brigid Schulte, we should just concentrate on what we really want to do – music

Overwhelmed, the best-selling book, is about the time pressures of modern life and facing reality. You can’t do everything you would like to do, plus all the things you think you should do, plus keep up with friends and family, plus go to work, plus keep a spotless home. Therefore, you have to put some things aside or send some people politely on their way. Then calmly go back to what you really want. Naturally that means for some, more guitar playing.

This approach goes rather against the increasing trend over the past 20 years where, by clever time-management, we believed we could do absolutely everything and still be fresh as a daisy by the end of it. But what has become evident is that stress and anxiety levels come with the package of cramming everything in; it means military-style time keeping and planning a social diary months ahead. Personally there are few things I find more irritating than agreeing to a dinner date two months ahead or booking concert tickets three months ahead, or even arranging a holiday six months ahead. I love that delicious sense of liberation which comes from not knowing what you are going to be doing, and by that I mean in sixty minutes’ time! My idea of being really relaxed is a completely unplanned and totally spontaneous day.

I think I may have slightly strayed off the point (or maybe not). The point is, according to author Brigid Schulte, that it is now time to take your life back and concentrate on what you really want to do first and foremost, and everything else should take second place. The realization, for her, is inescapable: you can’t do everything. Jolly right too.

I have an idea about how that could affect guitar playing. I am the first one to bang on about becoming a Virtuous Guitarist which means having a go at many aspects of music and guitar playing. Now I am not about to contradict anything I have written, but, you could turn round and say to me “actually, I don’t have time to do all you suggest however interesting it may be. I am only going to do what I really want to do as a guitar player.” This may be a way forward too, which brings me back to my idea of completely off the cuff decisions. Just jump, like a musical grass-hopper, from one idea to the next. Plan nothing, Follow your instinct. Enjoy every moment doing what you want rather than what you think should be doing. You know, it might just work. And since you have dropped a few time-consuming activities rather than be overwhelmed, you will have acres of time too to do some “proper” practice, whatever that is. Or maybe you won’t need to. Liberated from the strictures of time management your new relaxed self just will go with the flow. Joyful playing, unplanned and spontaneous, might lead to more improvement than the most careful five year plan.

This has been my rough guide to being less overwhelmed and more spontaneous.

3 people like this.
  6. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

That's one of the first pieces my current teacher taught me, about three years ago :dude:

2 people like this.
  7. Cpt Matt Sparrow

Steve, you've walked right into this one...

we all want to hear!

C'mon, it can't be the Mattster being the lone ranger poster. We need more from us lot.

Matt

1 person likes this.
  8. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

Some day, I (sort of) promise. My problem is, when the red record light goes on (tape recorder reference) it all goes to shit ... but live and in person, I'm fne :D

2 people like this.
  9. Cpt Matt Sparrow

Steve...NICE TRY!!! :D

Just leave it on record - and do infinite takes until it's right.

I believe in you!! :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  10. FrankieOliver

Yikes, look at what I started. :laugh2: :naughty:

1 person likes this.
  11. Cpt Matt Sparrow

I want to give Steve my "I am not angry Stephen, I am disappointed" LMAO!!!!

2 people like this.
  12. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

OK, I'll try to do something soon.

2 people like this.
  13. FrankieOliver

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLpEHg1wShk]1863 Torres Guitar played by Richard Brune. - YouTube[/ame]

:wow: Beautiful! The Torrez, of course. I'd like to sit around that shop for an afternoon.

1 person likes this.
  14. paradice

paradice Senior Member

hallo people
    was wondering how often you change your nylon strings?

also - still looking to get a new guitar at some point
    looking to spend about £400
    could you offer me some suggestions fom this site
    Classical Guitars (GUITARGUITAR)

cheers!

2 people like this.
  15. FrankieOliver

I'm sure someone will chime in with suggestions on a model from that particular site.

If you're not dead set on a new instrument and you don't mind used, you might be able to acquire a fine, used guitar for a nice price. In other words, you may do a good deal better for the money.

For example, I looked around a bit and was able to purchase a Pavan TP-30 used in excellent condition for $700.00, less than half the price of a new one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBPM94K907M

Cheers. :)

2 people like this.
  16. paradice

paradice Senior Member

liking the idea of a used higher quality guitar, would prob have to be off ebay though so would be bought without playing it. not much chance of getting abargain in a music shop

actually came across this video when researching different brands etc...

a long shot - but does anyone recognise this?
    might be the guys own work
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSM5zeBWSB0

2 people like this.
  17. FrankieOliver

Check this site: ClassicalGuitarDelcamp...Classical Guitar • Index page first.

This is where I got the deal on my Pavin. Often times folks are upgrading and let their first instruments go for a nice price. :thumb:

2 people like this.
  18. paradice

paradice Senior Member

Will have a look when I'm home. I can't find any Pavans in the uk, even though they're made in Spain (from what I've read).
    Quite in to the idea of getting a guitar from one of the smaller workshops now. Will have to make the effort and go to some shops to see what's what

2 people like this.
  19. Cpt Matt Sparrow

Paradice a new guitar is on the horizon - How exciting!!!! (I am going to say to my wife "everyone on the classical thread is getting new guitars except me :( :laugh2: She wont fall for it, but it's worth a shot)

I think Frankie's second hand advice maybe your best - and Delcamp is full of fellow classical guitar nerds like our good selves :) However, another angle the Mattster often impliments (when a pupil needs an upgrade guitar) is *not* to go to classical guitar shops. They know everything about what they have and the second hand price is so similar to the new price...

However, in many electric/steel strung guitar shops, such as London's famous Denmark Street, the road is full of mainly electric guitar shops and a couple of shops with mainly steel strung acoustics and folk instruments. They seem to get a lot of classical guitars that the shop keepers haven't got a clue what they have - and for us, the classical guitar customer, there are sometimes bargains to be had. They can of course google recent models/famous manafactured guitars but there are thousands of guitars off the radar.

My pupil Ed got a great second hand guitar a few months ago this way! Other than this, Alhambra seem very good for the cash, Admira are very good too and to be honest, the overall quality of guitars in the price range you have for a new classical, it is hard to go wrong, as the workmanship amongst all the main brands is top notch. It puts the electric guitar market to shame IMHO!

Matt

1 person likes this.
  20. paradice

paradice Senior Member

2 people like this.